YEAR: 1596 VESSEL: La Esperanza

CITATION: AGI: Filipinas 37

REMARKS:

OP
OP
cornelis 816

cornelis 816

Sep 3, 2010
Thanks for your remarks about some of the ships with the same name . The date of wrecking of the galleon , close to Memory Rock , is 1669 . The captain was Domingo Ypenarreita . I don't know if there is anything more known about this galleon , but than , one never can be sure . Cornelius

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
OP
OP
cornelis 816

cornelis 816

Sep 3, 2010
Thanks Don . I don't have that book and the listings . Do you think that there might be somebody out there that is willing to help me . There must be somebody that has these listings and the comments on the wreck . Cornelius

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Lee Spence used to be Alan's partner. Perhaps he can shed some light on contacting him or getting the info from the book. I tried getting in touch with Alan years ago to no avail. It's like he's disappeared. You can find Lee at...

http://www.shipwrecks.com/sevenseaspublishing.htm

Just go to the home page to get in touch with Lee.

Chagy

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
There was indeed a hurricane in Bahamas in 1669, source: Pioneers of the old South: a chronicle of English colonial beginnings By Mary Johnston page 205…..In 1669 The Port Royal was wrecked in the Bahama Islands. ...

The correct name of your Captain is Domingo de Ypeñarrieta he was “Maestre de la Plata” from 1630 to 1653

I wonder if your year 1669 is correct?

all the best,

Chagy.....

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Yes, there is shallow water 10-12 miles North of Memory Rock light. Shallow enough to wreck a ship from that era. I like to enter the Bahamas in that area, it is not as shallow as between Sandy Cay and West End. About 4 miles North of Sandy Cay it starts getting deeper on the edge,( I went over it last week in that area) and then Memory Rock is about 4-5 miles North of that area, and it is 10-12' deep all the way till you hit the corner of Little Bahama Bank, then it curves to the East and gets shallow again. The area from North of Sandy Cay to the Corner is a gradual rise, it is real deep right off it. The area to the South has a fast rise, and it gets less than 4' at low tide.There are several wrecks in that area. Those boats drew 15' when loaded, so they could have easily hit there. The medium sized frieghters that take goods to the Abacos go over North of Memory Rock. The big ones have to go on the outside, and way to the East. The Bank itself is shallow.

OP
OP
cornelis 816

cornelis 816

Sep 3, 2010
Thanks Steve . I think this sounds good enough to investigate some more . Cornelius

Trembull

Jul 24, 2010
Oklahoma __ Y'All
Primary Interest:
Other
cornelis 816 said:
Who has some more information about this Spanish treasure galleon . She was supposed to be wrecked 10 to 12 miles North of Memory Rock . 32 cannon and 63 survivors . Lots of coins on board . Cornelius

Cornelius
Not the Galleon you are questioning, But still interesting to watch all 5 videos Video 1.2 at one minute in, states Memory Rock

Daryl

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
The problem with locating a shipwreck in that area, besides the Bahamian Government, which is always looking for poachers on the Maravillias which is in this general area, is that is a very gradual rise from 45' up to 10' is several miles, where the area South of Sandy Cay that happens in about 100'-200'. When I go through that area, there is always Bahamian commercial fishermen with their 15' boats and a hookah running, looking for conchs and lobsters. They are out of Grand Cay and West End. I also see the Bahamian Defense boat out there occasionally too. Like I said there are several wrecks in that area. Some old, and some not that old.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions