Researcher in Seville at the Archivo General de Indias?

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
Darren and I have been talking about few projects we are working on individually and some jointly, and have come to a point where we need a serious researcher. I know we have some very experienced members who visit this forum occaisionally and wanted to know if anyone had any recommendations!

I told Darren we could always use Pawel Nowak!!!!!!!!!!!!

But seriously, if anyone has any ideas or recommendations on where to start or how this process may work, please let us know.

Thanks,

Robert in SC

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try Diving Doc. He has a lady friend in Paris that will do it for about $2500 per week.

A little closer to home, you could try the Naval Archives in Acapulco or Mexico City.

Mike

SEAHUNTER

Jan 10, 2006
PALM BEACH COUNTY,FLORIDA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SINCE A LOT OF THE SHIPS WERE ORGANIZED AND OR LOADED IN HAVANA, I WAS WONDERING IF THERE WAS ANYWHERE IN HAVANA WHERE THERE WOULD BE RECORDS? IT WOULD BE MUCH CLOSER. JUST A THOUGHT. DOES ANYBODY KNOW ?

ALSO WERE RECORDS KEPT IN THE COUNTRIES FROM WHICH THEY DEPARTED? LIKE PERU ?

99*

If you want to get hold of Emma get hold of Doc it`s simple or I can email Emma your email and see if she wants to do the work, she is very thorough and meticulous and delivered good results, worth every dollar. 99*

treasurediver

Mar 13, 2005
Here are all 10 volumes and one annexe of Seville et Atlantique 1504-1650.
for sale!

Attachments

• Chaunu.jpg
    Chaunu.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 299

Amona

Apr 11, 2005
Sardinera, Mona Island
Detector(s) used
GTI2500,Seahunter Mark II, Eagle eye two box
My point of view is this: On of the best thing you can do first before go to that archive is learn to read some Spanish because the Spanish which the Spaniard talked and writed many centuries ago it isn't the same Spanish language that you can talk and read today's day, therefore, it isn't nothing wrong to learn Spanish :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Amona

Cablava

May 24, 2005
It is not a hard thing to buy, but not cheap this is just one volume

Chaunu, PierreSEVILLE ET L'ATLANTIQUE (1504-1650) DEUXIEME PARTIE: PARTIE INTERPRETATIVE. STRUCTURES ET CONJONCTURE DE L'ATLANTIQUE ESPAGNOL ET HISPANO-AMERICAIN (1504-1650). TOME VIII, LES STRUCTURES: STRUCTURES GEOGRAPHIQUES
Paris: Institut Des Hautes Etudes De l'Amerique Latine, 1959 Soft cover wrappers; disbound

USD 27.00 > other currencies ordernr.: J2980 bookseller: Atticus Books (CANADA)

OP
OP
Darren in NC

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
SEAHUNTER said:
TREASUREDIVER
WHERE CAN THEY BE BOUGHT AND HOW MUCH ARE THEY?
SEAHUNTER

I believe they are his personal volumes and he is offering them for sale. How much, treasurediver?

Goldminer

Apr 28, 2006
Las Vegas, Nv
Spanish fleet shipping documents were kept in every port that the fleet touched. Even if the fleet sailed up the Bahama Channel, docs. were sent to Santo Domingo as well. If anyone is interested, they can go to the U. of Florida at Gainesville, visit the library there, and if you are lucky, find the Spanish legajos that are on microfilm. You must be carefull when reading them, because the ink has bled through from page to page. My late partner and I were there in late 1980's, and the microfilms were fairly new to the library. We were told that we were the first to see them. They covered all the information about FLORIDA, which at that time covered almost all of the gulf coast. We were only interested in the "El Grande", so did not pay too much attention to other wrecks.
Bill

SEAHUNTER

Jan 10, 2006
PALM BEACH COUNTY,FLORIDA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
THANK YOU GOLDMINER.
EXCELLENT INFORMATION !!!!
I ASSUME YOU CAN READ SPANISH.
WOULD YOU BE INTERESTED IN DOING SOME RESEARCH FOR ME?
I SURE COULD USE SOMEBODY WHO KNOWS WHAT THEY ARE DOING WHEN IT COMES TO RESEARCH.

SEAHUNTER

Chagy

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Darren in NC said:
Anyone here ever use a researcher in Seville at the Archivo General de Indias? What were the costs and do you feel confident in recommending your reseacher?

Best to you,
Darren

Hey Buddy,

I can recommend Walter Cardona, he worte "Shipwrecks of Puerto Rico" he is a personal friend of mine and has been doing research in the Archives for the last 30 years...
send me a PM and let me know what you need....

Best,

Chagy.......

Aug 5, 2006
I don't like to make too many comments here, prefering to simply read and maintain my autonomous status....BUT, do you guys know Emma?

She is the one you are looking to hire for your project....

Cablava

May 24, 2005
Emma posted just a few days ago and as normal was a excellent advise.

She has the right pedigree for this work, I think we all look forward to her posts. And you are right if you could get her to do the research the results would speak for themself

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread