Shark!

StingerSteve

Jan 5, 2011
In honor of Shark Week...I just had to pose this question:

I'm curious if sharks are a regular problem to salvage operations? Since the 1715 site is basically "ground zero" for shark statistics in Florida, I always imagined they would be a nuisance in that area. How about other areas?

I've only encountered a couple in all the years I've been diving & always wondered what salvage divers come across.

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Recently several great whites have been spotted on the east coast of florida.Just when you think the tiger shark and bull sharks was two of the worst ones to deal with while in the water.

KEYSHUNTER

Sep 29, 2007
florida keys
Detector(s) used
;whites dual PI
being shark week ,just had two divers drown in 40 feet ,i know the boat not sure what went wrong, bad weather is worst in my world at least a shark never touched them,i worry more about the sky above then what swims below me....RIP... :'( :'(

Whittman

Oct 4, 2005
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers
I had the pleasure of seeing a couple presentations by Greg Skomal (not sure about the spelling), who is a Great White Shark researcher. They managed to tag some GW's up off of Cape Cod and were able to collect data regarding their migration. Long story short, they found that the Cape Cod GW's migrate down to Florida in the winter. Good news is that they spend that time in deeper water.

crzhors

Oct 29, 2006
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse,Excaliber,Pulse8X
And the ones that do come down in the winters,are Horrible drivers and lousy tippers.... :wink:

Escudoman

Jul 16, 2011
California
My dad has had run in's with GW on the pacific coast. One of them has a fin of his. He hasn't dove there in several years because the elephant seal population has exploded where he used to dive.
Gerrison

piratediver

Jun 29, 2006
newport, Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The WHYDAH is not far from where the GW's have been spotted. Thank God our mailboxes make so much noise it seems to keep them away, but one day there was an ocean sunfish that scared us until we got a real close look.

Pirate Diver

inletsurf

Oct 1, 2006
Sebastian Inlet, Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The attached video was taken last month by a Vero Beach resident spearfishing about 23 miles due east of the 1715 wrecks (~165 feet of water). Pay close attention to the great white spotted around 3:07 in the video.

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Its a good thing he is a bad shot and missed the first 2 fish! :laughing7:

maipenrai

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2010
Thailand/Europe/California
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 2 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was that supposed to be 165ft? looked like the bottom and the surface were almost together in a couple shots, more like 30 or so feet. Anyway, I would have given up on that dive after seeing the shark. Did anyone notice the white octopus that was trying to attack him?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread