Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
capt dom wrote on post #3 of this thread:

Dear Tom,

Some of the photos I supplied to Bob you took.

I am sorry that his publisher - who monitors this blogging site
may have not completely attributed the proper photo credits
of photos I or my wife are in that obviously neither of us could have
took.

If anything about this can be done about this lets see if he responds.
=============================================================

If capt dom would have told Bod who to give credit for the pictures I’m sure the publisher would have done so. If the pictures were sent to Bod by capt dom with no information on who to give credit to… Bob and the publisher would assume the proper credits had to go to capt dom.

This is just my observation as a reader of the thread. It’s really a shame to see this on a public forum. Good luck to all and I hope you all can solve this matter like gentlemen in private.

All the best,

Luis Camacho

Bobadilla

Sep 25, 2006
Dominican Republic
Hello,

I just finished the reading of the book about the last voyage of San Miguel de Archangel. Many of you here on the Forum know that I am personal friend of Terry and that he is also my publisher, but the following opinion about this book is absolutely objetive from me as a writer of books about shipwrecks and as a marine archaeologist, and I would like all of you, please, to take it like that.

By my opinion, this book is perfect composition among the history of one shipwreck and its last voyage, search for the information in archives, actual working on the wreck and general information from the era of the voyage which is a must for general reader to understand the whole story. I think that Dr. Bob Baer and Terry Armstrong did really perfect job here. You can find in this book the information that can be used in daily work of any professional treasure hunter or marine archaeologist (like, for example, about "Lima star" cobs). Therefore I consider this book very useful and perfectly readable not only for a group of perosns working on shipwrecks around Jupiter, but for any treasure hunter, marine archaeologist or even for any general reader, interested in true story about a shipwreck, search for it and its recovery. Many photos in the book form excellent contribution to the story.
It is really worth reading.

Regards to all,
Lobo (Bobadilla)

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
Chagy:

Well put!

There are at least two kinds of "photo credits." One credits the actual photographer. The other the source of the photo.

I must believe everyone who visits TreasureNet has far more in common with everyone else here than whatever small differences may exist. Sometimes the most bitter feuds are family - because folks are close and more alike than different.

Let's all try to keep in mind what brought each of us here in the first place.

Good luck to all,

~The Old Bookaroo

Bobadilla

Sep 25, 2006
Dominican Republic
Old Bookaroo,

Good post! I am of the same opinion as you. I fully understand that there could be some dispute about the credit for some photos in a book. I have three or four books in my collection where different authors used my personal photos without bothering to ask me for the permission to publish them, and even they used photos of me, diving on wrecks! (one of the examples is Diving Guide of the Dominican Republic). I was pissed off, of course, but at the end of the day, I was thinking that it counts how many readers bought that books and how this books contributed to the general topic of treasure hunting, marine archaeology or wreck diving. I do not say it is correct way, but then I was happy that my photos were part of some successful work.

Lobo

Chagy

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Hi capt dom,

I would like to ask you a simple question which requires a simple yes or no answer. When you sent Bob your pictures or the pictures, did you tell him who to give credit to? Yes or no? A simple yes or no will do no need for explanations.

Thank you,

Chagy….

signumops

Feb 28, 2007
U.S.
Detector(s) used
Garrett, Minelab, Aqua-Pulse
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Chagy:
Not to worry. All taken care of. As Claudio Bonifacio would say: "Give to Caesar that which is Caesar's". The correctly attributed version is under submission as we speak. I am also building a private color edition. It has to be private because the general public would not be able to afford a copy. The color edition will be the source for eBook versions.

I have discovered that Signum Ops is perceived as being a large publishing empire and that people think I am sitting behind a desk with a squad of secretaries, editors, and marketeers at my command. Signum Ops is nothing but an imprint necessary for file commital at the copyright office. I use the imprint to file copyright for the authors. I only hold copyright for the books I author. Signum Ops owns nothing but a trademark. With the right software, some inquisitivness, an email account, and a credit card, anybody can get a book into printed form. The original material for the printed output is the most important part, but there are lots of people with good material that don't have the desire, ability, or machinery necessary to publish something on the open market.

When I was 16 or so, small paperback books came into vogue and I was able to buy a copy of "Fell's Guide to Sunken Treasure" in that format. I could not afford the hardback edition. I still have that book. Point learned was that there is a considerable amount of good reading to be had, but you never get a chance to see it because you can't afford a copy, or, a publishing house won't gamble on sales of material from unknown authors.

I like to promote salvage and salvors and work on the cuff for a potential percentage of speculative sales. I'm not here to blow my own horn. People want to read about the actors on Treasurenet... that's what I like to provide, at a cost they can afford.

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Thanks for your efforts Terry. Too bad you couldn't hook up with Barney. Then his new book would be $9.95 instead of $29.95!

signumops

Feb 28, 2007
U.S.
Detector(s) used
Garrett, Minelab, Aqua-Pulse
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
His book is a quality print job with excellent B/W reproduction and solid typography. It's well laid out, indexed and cross-referenced. I'd say its worth it. I've read through it frequently. It was not cheap to print, I'll garuntee.

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
salvor6:

Which book is that?

Unless you're talking about a book written by the big green guy - then I'll pass...

Good luck to all,

~The Old Bookaroo

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Bookaroo its the "Encyclopedia of Florida Shipwrecks" volume 1.

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
After speaking with Dr Baer on the phone, provided he is true to his word, the matter has been resolved.

As to whom did what or did not do what....it doesn't matter.

The first reading at mass this morning is appropriate to this thread:

Sirach 27:30

Wrath and anger are hateful things, yet the sinner hugs them tight.
The vengeful will suffer the Lord's vengeance, for he remembers their sins in detail.

Forgive your neighbor's injustice;
then when you pray, your own sins will be forgiven.

Could anyone nourish anger against another and expect healing from the Lord?

Tom

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Tom, that's an appropriate reading for remembering 9/11. We should be sad, but not vengeful - smart to defend against evil, but not retaliate in hate.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread