Seeking info on Shipwrecks, Dominican Republic

tezz5

Jul 12, 2006
hi there Hammie
mate,there are over 330 registered old wrecks with gold and silver on them ,around the coast of the DR,,.,.,.once you hit the waves,you will fall over them ?They begin from the 1700's and work their way up to WW II ok?
best of Aussie luck,.,.,.
cheers mate
Tezz5

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
since i wont be going down to the DR anytime in the near future.i do have a hand drawn map that i got from a doctor friend of mine of where he and 2 older friends found a galleon possibly from the late 1400's to 1600's.the site has never been worked.its in shallow water not far off shore on the southern side of the DR.my friend found gold and silver and mercury on the wreck.the gold he sold off to pay for his doc schooling.his older 2 friends have already died.the map is triangulated right to the site with locations of timbers and rocks.when my friend dove on the site 20-30 yrs ago the vis was 0 now the vis is crystal clear.on incomming tides plus there were big sharks but now the area is all fished out so no more sharks.at least not big ones.i will sell the map plus some more info and a chart with depths for that area.make me an reasonable offer.this may have to be a stealth pirate operation since the gov of the DR is so corrupt.permits can be had but then again the gov cant be trusted.

OP
OP
Trond

Trond

Mar 23, 2006
Norway
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmaxx Power.
FISHEYE said:
since i wont be going down to the DR anytime in the near future.i do have a hand drawn map that i got from a doctor friend of mine of where he and 2 older friends found a galleon possibly from the late 1400's to 1600's.the site has never been worked.its in shallow water not far off shore on the southern side of the DR.my friend found gold and silver and mercury on the wreck.the gold he sold off to pay for his doc schooling.his older 2 friends have already died.the map is triangulated right to the site with locations of timbers and rocks.when my friend dove on the site 20-30 yrs ago the vis was 0 now the vis is crystal clear.on incomming tides plus there were big sharks but now the area is all fished out so no more sharks.at least not big ones.i will sell the map plus some more info and a chart with depths for that area.make me an reasonable offer.this may have to be a stealth pirate operation since the gov of the DR is so corrupt.permits can be had but then again the gov cant be trusted.

Hehe, yes i know that the government down here is a bit - lets call it "unusual"- and the biggest and most dangerous sharks is not in the water, but waiting in the shadows...!

Thank you for your offer, but im not a rich gringo- try to sell it to someone who have the money to finance a treasure hunt. :P

Goldhamster

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cornelius,
my friend just wants a very small percentage of the sale of the map and location or the treasure.or if someone wishes to salvage it.hes a doctor/dentist an you know how much they make per day.plus he doesnt have the time to mess with it.thats why he gave me the map to do whatever i want with it.i dont have the time to go an get it myself.theres too much treasure close to home to be had:)

Bobadilla

Sep 25, 2006
Dominican Republic
Hello my friend,

I live in Santo Domingo, Dominican republic, I am professional diver, treasure hunter and underwater archaeologist. I have been diving in many shipwrecvk sites in DR and I am interested in your map. What do you mean with "reasonable offer"?
Write me to my personal email [email protected] and we can make a deal!

Regards
Lobo

FISHEYE said:

Bobadilla

Sep 25, 2006
Dominican Republic
Hello,

I am new on this forum - to be exact from tonight. I am pleasantly surprised with this forum, really. I would like to follow so I think that it would be nice to introduce myself a little. I am not a youngster, (although I feel often myself like that...) I am 50 years old, underwater archaeologist, professional diver, historian and underwater treasure hunter. I have been living in Dominican Republic for many years now, diving on wreck sites, running small diving company and writing historical treasure books. I mean books with no fiction, just facts about sunken treasures. Of course, I use the myths and legends but I compare these legends with reality, interview with local fishermen, datas obtained from Archiv in Sevilla or from historical archives, and so on. Last year I published here in Santo Domingo the book "Hidden and Sunken Treasures in Dominican republic". It had greater impact that I expected and I was asked to do second, more detailed edition, which I did. It will be in book shops and museum before the end of this year and next year we think to publish it in English. My hobby has been converted to my job many years ago and I am happy. So, if you would like to know something from the field regarding treasure shipwrecks on northern coats of Dominican republic, I can give you some hints.

For example, the area of Montecristi (close to the northern border with Haiti) is full of sunken ships, especially Seven Brothers area. There are seven small tiny bare sand islands couple of miles from the shore there. Cristal clear very shallow water, but currents and sometimes big fish. Generally nothing for beginners. There are over 190 shipwrecks, only in his small piece of ocean. There are still under search some historical treasure wrecks site there, like for example "La Viette", French ship which went down very close to the shore in 1801 with 50,000 pieces of gold Napoleon rare coins as a delayed payments to French garrisson over there. There are also lost 1563 fleet which consisted from galleons Santa Catalina, San Jose y Santa Maria de Guadaloupe. Gold jewelry and 300.000 pieces of eight were lost there. The same happen to five Spanish galleons in this area in 1576. This time the fleet was loaded with treasures from Maya and Inca Empire and there are still waiting somewhere over there. But bad news, guys.... The US based company North Caribbean Research has got their renewed five year contract with DR government for the whole area so nobody can go treasure diving there. And the guys from this company are sharp and a little jeleaous about their rights..... What you can do is pay about 2,500 USD, take your own diving equipment and go diving with them for guided treasure hunting work for 14 days. It is up to you.... I prefer to go somewhere else and alone or with my friends....
And there are still spots in Dominican Republic with treasure wrecks to be discovered, believe me!!

Any information you would need and which I would know, just send me email to [email protected] and I will answer you with pleasure.
Good hunting!

Regards to all,
Lobo

Bobadilla

Sep 25, 2006
Dominican Republic
Hello Goldhamster,

You are a little wrong about the two companies and northern coast of DR, my friend. There is just one company that has legal 5 years contract with Dominican Government for treasure wrecks excavation. It is North Caribbean Research and they have their area inside Montecristi National Park, it means from Manzanillo (Haitian border) till La Isabela (first Spanish settlement, where also one Columbus ship from his second voyage is supposed to be sunken). From La Isabela to the west, passing such potential treasure wrecks spots like Luperon, Cofresi, Puerto Plata and Rio San Juan till Samana is absolutely open for any kind of deals with DR government. Especially Bay of Samana is extremely interesting because there is literally cemetery of old ships there. Pirates like Banister and Roberto Cofresi visited this area very frequently and two from burried treasures of Cofresi were found on the small cays inside the bay in 1900´. Just a little far from Samana Bay there is a last resting place of three big French galleons sunken there in the storm in 18th century - "Scipion", "Guadaloupe" and "Conde de Tolosa". There were salvaged by US-Dominican company twenty five years ago.

There is some "movement" in negotiations around Silver Bank, 60 miles north from Puerto Plata, where famous Spanish galleon "Nuestra Senora de la Consepcion" wrecked full of gold and silver. Even after three successful salvage operations there is still something to find there. Conditions in Silver Bank reefs are extremely dangerous and it is sanctuary of whales apart from that so any negotiation is pretty hard. One French company is on the track now.

It is all about northern coast of Dominican Republic and underwater treasure hunting.
I hope it will help.

Regards
Bobadilla ... aka ... Lobo

buscadero

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Corpus Christi, Tx.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
GH: A little info I have is on the Nueva Espana Flota of 1724. Forced S. by a Hurricaine, The Capitana, Nuestra Senora de Guadalupe y San Antonio sank near Samana Bay on 9/12/1724. The Almiranta, La Tolosa wrecked along w/ some Naos @ Cape Samana!

Check it out!

Joe

Bobadilla

Sep 25, 2006
Dominican Republic
Hello Joe,

Thanks for your info. I had it already in my archive with all these details. Just I did not want to go to such deep explanation in my post to Old Man yesterday. And viceversa, if you are interested in some more details about wrecks and even their actual conditions in Samana Bay, do not hesitate to write me. I will tell you with pleasure if I will know the answer.

Regards
Lobo

PhipsFolly

Sep 30, 2005
Treasure Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign Elite & Sovereign XS, Minelab Equinox 800 and Aquapulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bobadilla...

I emailed you last night and haven't received a response from you as of yet. Can you contact me at: [email protected]

Thanks, Phips

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread