Mediacane!

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When a news reporter and his camerman get killed from flying debris while standing on the beach in 100+ winds while telling people to not do what they are doing the news wont be doing stoopid reporting like that anymore.It will happen soon.

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I was watching yesterday and today, and the weather channel guys and girls were standing near the shore, and there was not much more wind and surf than we have here. Not too exciting. Yes, they really blow it out of proportion to make news. That is what they do. They should have been in the Bahamas and shown how much destruction happened there. Even though it wasnt as bad as Floyd was a few years back. At least they do have advance hurricane warnings, and you can figure out for yourself if it is really going to be a bad one and head for the hills, or just hunker down and wait it out.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only 50 mph some places up the coast...

ropesfish

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
A sharp eye, an AquaPulse and a finely tuned shrimp fork.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
It's all about money (IMHO). The Weather Channel and the "News" networks have to get their viewer numbers up somehow and sensationalizing weather and news events seems to be their method of choice. I believe that the amount they can charge for advertising is directly related to the number of people they can suck into watching.
I'm just glad they were wrong, again.

When TV news and the practice of medicine and the law become merely ways to make a lot of money, the world took an unfortunate turn.

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
I dont know, the devastation is pretty bad. Yes, it could have been a lot worse. But take a look at some of the images coming in and the sheer number of people this storm affected. The wind wasnt bad, but the rain and flooding is pretty devastating.

I do agree, the weather guys have been looking for a story to over-hype for several years now. They have said for the last couple years that it was predicted to be the most active Hurricane Season on record, and then we get zilch! LOL!

But I would rather watch them get blown around than the brain rotting junk on TV like "Rich Housewives who need to be Pimp Slapped" or the "Jersey Idiots". This crap just breeds more idiots who want to act like them and think they will be on TV. Heaven forbid our kids see this stuff and think this is how they are supposed to act!

I say bring on the Weathermen! Yes, it would really be interesting to see one of them get pelted by a flying 2x4 once!

RGecy

[youtube=425,350]AVyN_-LuiYU[/youtube]

pcolaboy

Sep 5, 2006
Pensacola, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
Back in 2005 when Hurricane Dennis was bearing down on Pensacola, Jim Cantore from the Weather Channel was out on the beach many hours before landfall. The camera shot had him on the beach with the surf in the background and he had his usual foul-weather gear on for some reason (wasn't even raining yet).

As he began his report, he hyped-up how serious the situation had become, was acting as if it were difficult to stand (presumably due to the wind), and raising his voice to increase the drama. Just then in the background, two old ladies without as much as an umbrella casually strolled behind him, smiled and waved at the camera. :laughing7:

Hurricanes are a part of life on this part of the Gulf and I would never take one lightly. However, this type of sensationalism is a complete joke sometimes. Just sayin'!

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Au_Dreamers said:
Broke states declaring state of emergencies = Federal dollars...
I think the National guard is out there now, rescuing them (isolated areas) bringing in supplies by helicopter.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread