but, wait, where are all the Gold Doubloons and Pieces of Eight....

Au_Dreamers

Dec 15, 2010
back on the 1715!!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 2011 Florida Statutes

Title XVIII
PUBLIC LANDS AND PROPERTY Chapter 267
HISTORICAL RESOURCES View Entire Chapter

267.115 Objects of historical or archaeological value.—The division shall acquire, maintain, preserve, interpret, exhibit, and make available for study objects which have intrinsic historical or archaeological value relating to the history, government, or culture of the state. Such objects may include tangible personal property of historical or archaeological value. Objects acquired under this section belong to the state, and title to such objects is vested in the division.
(1) Notwithstanding s. 273.02, the division shall maintain an adequate record of all objects in its custody which have a historical or archaeological value. Once each year, on July 1 or as soon thereafter as practicable, the division shall take a complete inventory of all such objects in its custody the value or cost of which is $500 or more and a sample inventory of such objects the value or cost of which is less than $500. Each inventory shall be compared with the property record, and all discrepancies shall be traced and reconciled. Objects of historical or archaeological value are not required to be identified by marking or other physical alteration of the objects.

and also interesting....

(4) For the purpose of the exchange, ****sale****(emphasis mine), or other transfer of objects of historical or archaeological value, the division is exempt from chapter 273.
(5) All moneys received from the sale of an object which has historical or archaeological value pursuant to subsection (3) shall be deposited in the Historical Resources Operating Trust Fund and shall be used exclusively for the acquisition of additional historical and archaeological objects or the preservation and maintenance of any such objects in the custody of the division.

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes...ng=&URL=0200-0299/0267/Sections/0267.115.html

bikerlawyer

Jan 9, 2008
Melbourne Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like this part:

Once each year, on July 1 or as soon thereafter as practicable, the division shall take a complete inventory of all such objects in its custody the value or cost of which is $500 or more and a sample inventory of such objects the value or cost of which is less than $500. Each inventory shall be compared with the property record, and all discrepancies shall be traced and reconciled.

Anybody ever seen this done?

OP
OP
A

Au_Dreamers

Dec 15, 2010
back on the 1715!!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bikerlawyer said:
I like this part:

Once each year, on July 1 or as soon thereafter as practicable, the division shall take a complete inventory of all such objects in its custody the value or cost of which is $500 or more and a sample inventory of such objects the value or cost of which is less than $500. Each inventory shall be compared with the property record, and all discrepancies shall be traced and reconciled.

Anybody ever seen this done?

Well, it should be a public record somewhere.
They took down the online master site file which you can still do a paper request but the inventory record should be a publicly accessible document.

Speaking of the master site file...
"The Site File currently holds information on more than 180,000 cultural resources and copies of over 17,000 manuscripts. Site File staff do not evaluate the historical significance of sites or the potential impact of development projects, however, evaluations of historical significance by other State Historic Preservation Office (SHPO) staff and preservation consultants are included in our records."

and

"However, there are some restricted classes of information held by the Site File. Building plans and archaeological site location information are classified as sensitive and are exempted from Florida's open records laws."

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
in plain english -we state of florida archies use YOUR the public's paid in tax dollars to fund the upkeep and storing of this info and developing this info BUT you (the public ) can not see what we did with your money nor can you access the files to gain info to earn money by finding wrecks and other valuible items that might be "outside of our ability to stop you from getting ahold of" - perfect set up they got there --no "public" accountiblity --no "public" access to the data * to see how much or what "quality" of work their actually doing.

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check out the florida sunshine law.They Have to let you know whats going on.You or the public can even rifle thru their desk drawers.Under law they can not hide anything from the public.

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
The head archies in Talahassee think they are above the law and they know it. No one dares come near their desk.

capt dom

Nov 9, 2006
Jupiter, Florida USA
Au_Dreamers said:

Title XVIII

267.115 Objects of historical or archaeological value.—The division shall acquire, maintain, preserve, interpret, exhibit, and make available for study objects which have intrinsic historical or archaeological value relating to the history, government, or culture of the state. Such objects may include tangible personal property of historical or archaeological value. Objects acquired under this section belong to the state, and title to such objects is vested in the division.
(1) Notwithstanding s. 273.02, the division shall maintain an adequate record of all objects in its custody which have a historical or archaeological value. Once each year, on July 1 or as soon thereafter as practicable, the division shall take a complete inventory of all such objects in its custody the value or cost of which is $500 or more and a sample inventory of such objects the value or cost of which is less than $500. Each inventory shall be compared with the property record, and all discrepancies shall be traced and reconciled. Objects of historical or archaeological value are not required to be identified by marking or other physical alteration of the objects.

and also interesting....

(4) For the purpose of the exchange, ****sale****(emphasis mine), or other transfer of objects of historical or archaeological value, the division is exempt from chapter 273.
(5) All moneys received from the sale of an object which has historical or archaeological value pursuant to subsection (3) shall be deposited in the Historical Resources Operating Trust Fund and shall be used exclusively for the acquisition of additional historical and archaeological objects or the preservation and maintenance of any such objects in the custody of the division.

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes...ng=&URL=0200-0299/0267/Sections/0267.115.html

"Do as I say, not as I do....."

The rats are guarding the cheese....

Zephyr

Nov 26, 2006
Au_Dreamers said:

Title XVIII

Hmmm, that "acquire" thing kind of bothers me....

"So, Mr. Anderson, we like that priceless antique lamp you have. Fork it over...."

aquanut

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2005
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Tesoro Tiger Shark
The government giving the government power over the citizens of a country that never intended such a thing to happen when it was conceived. What a web we have woven for ourselves! The price of our complacency...
Aquanut

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
"we the people" are now run by "them" in the govt * -which is why the founding fathers wanted a "weak" federal govt and strong states rights * whatever powers are not EXPRESSLY GIVEN TO THE GOVT SHALL BE RETAINED BY THE STATES OR THE PEOPLE.

LINCOLN SAVED THE "UNION" BUT IN DOING SO HE MADE A "POWERFUL" CENTRAL FEDERAL GOVT --THUS DESTROYING THE FOUNDING FATHERS "IDEAL OF GOVT" THAT HE SUPPOSEDLY WAS SAVING

bikerlawyer

Jan 9, 2008
Melbourne Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just sent them this public records request:

Dear Sirs,

Please consider this letter as a public records request pursuant to Florida Statute §119.021.

I would like a copy of the list of objects required to be maintained pursuant to Florida Statute 267.115(1)for the last 10 years as it pertains to any objects recovered from the waters in or around the State of Florida. I have quoted the relevant portion of the statute below:

 Notwithstanding s. 273.02, the division shall maintain an adequate record of all objects in its custody which have a historical or archaeological value. Once each year, on July 1 or as soon thereafter as practicable, the division shall take a complete inventory of all such objects in its custody the value or cost of which is $500 or more and a sample inventory of such objects the value or cost of which is less than $500. Each inventory shall be compared with the property record, and all discrepancies shall be traced and reconciled. Objects of historical or archaeological value are not required to be identified by marking or other physical alteration of the objects.

I agree to pay for the records upon request for payment, not to exceed $500.00. Please note that failure to provide the public records will result in a civil action with a request for attorneys fees under F.S. §119.12.

Thank you in advance for your anticipated cooperation.

OP
OP
A

Au_Dreamers

Dec 15, 2010
back on the 1715!!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You should make a video of this and forward it to several newspersons and trustworthy citizens so if you disappear they can trace you! Start with the statement I have never had any trouble with the law until….

But seriously I’m glad you did this. I posted it thinking you might do something like that. Not the only reason but you volunteering to do it speaks volumes. Thank-you

Have you ever wrote an initiative? ;D

Trembull

Jul 24, 2010
Oklahoma __ Y'All
Primary Interest:
Other
bikerlawyer said:
I just sent them this public records request:

I tip my hat to you Bikerlawyer.. :hello2:
Thats is a pretty cool Letter .. Lets hope it wakes them up now
Thank you
Daryl

Attachments

• Cheese.gif
    Cheese.gif
    184.1 KB · Views: 945

bikerlawyer

Jan 9, 2008
Melbourne Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It will be interesting to see what they produce. Last time I requested some info they responded that it was too voluminous, some was on microfiche and I would have to go to Tallahassee to view it, etc. The stuff they produced was lame and already available through other means.

bikerlawyer

Jan 9, 2008
Melbourne Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got this response today:

September 9, 2011

Bradley Sinclair
[email protected]

RE: Acknowledgment of Public Records Request

Dear Mr. Sinclair,
We have received your public records request. Your request will be processed in accordance with the Florida Public Records Law. You will be advised as soon as possible regarding estimated costs. Payment will be due in advance by cash, check, or money order made payable to the Florida Department of State.

If you have any questions, you may contact me at 850.245.6332 or by e-mail at [email protected] .

Sincerely,

Celeste Ivory
Division Operations Administrator | Office of the Director | Division of Historical Resources | Florida Department of State | 500 South Bronough Street | Tallahassee, Florida 32399 | 850.245.6332 | 1.800.847.7278 | Fax: 850.245.6436 | www.flheritage.com

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread