Finally Pursuing My Dream! Applied to BA Maritime Studies Program at UWF!

BeginAgain

Sep 15, 2011
Florida
Hi everyone! I'm brand new to the site but just wanted to share a little about myself. I'm 29, born and raised in Las Vegas and currently divorcing. Lived in Mexico the past year and a half. My wife of 7 years and mother of my two girls walked out on me, taking my two toddler girls with her during my first semester of medical school in Mexico last April (it was a U.S. accredited school). I was crushed and dropped out of school and spent the entire Summer in a deep depression. I had always wanted to be an archaeologist/treasure hunter as a kid growing up watching TV specials on things like the Maya in the Yucatan and the Spanish galleons. Then in 2003 or so Mel Fisher's Treasures opened a retail store in Las Vegas. Stumbled upon the store, not really knowing the story of the Fishers. I was HOOKED IMMEDIATELY and knew that someday I wanted to be diving for gold and silver off the Florida coast. I looked into switching my major from a dual Biology/Spanish major to Maritime Studies at UWF. But I got married the next year to a beautiful girl I had met in Mexico City while studying abroad and the dream faded away as the reality of married life set in. I never stopped being an armchair treasure diver though! Reading every book I could find, using my skills as a Supreme Court Certified Spanish interpreter/translator to do my own "research" on certain wrecks all over the world.
Anyways... So here I am! I'm selling almost everything I have here in San Diego, CA and getting ready to move to Florida to get established with a job and an apartment before the January semester begins at UWF. What I haven't decided yet is where I'm going to live. The BA program can be completed online or at the brick and mortar school in Pensacola (either way there is still a shipwreck archaeology field course during the Summer). Tuition is also a LOT cheaper for the online program for obvious reasons.
The only thing keeping me from making the decision to move directly to Pensacola is the enticing idea of moving to the "Treasure Coast" instead and doing the UWF program online and that way I can spend all my extra time hunting on the beaches and in the water (I'm not PADI certified yet but will be soon. I am an avid snorkeler though and I love free diving).

Does anyone have any advice for a newcomer who is ready to dive into this hobby and make a career out of it? By the way, I have no desire to use my degree to eventually work for the government. I want to be a treasure hunter and possibly work for Odyssey or the Mel Fisher company or some other treasure salvage company someday. Maybe even start my own company!

Any comments, advice, suggestions are welcome and much appreciated!
Jake

mariner

Apr 4, 2005
Re: Finally Pursuing My Dream! Applied to BA Nautical Archaeology Program at UWF!

Jake,

Welcome to the Forum and good luck with your dream, but make sure you stay in touch with those two daughters of yours, or you will be losing treasure that is more valuable than anything you are liable to find on the ocean floor.

Mariner

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Re: Finally Pursuing My Dream! Applied to BA Nautical Archaeology Program at UWF!

Jake, I wholeheartedly support Mariner's sentiments regarding your two daughters. And hopefully you can mend things with your entire family.

I applaud you for not wallowing in your grief, but rising up out of this difficult time to focus on your life goal. Since you seem serious about this, search this site for archaeologists who already work with treasure hunters (you may have to google search this site as the search feature is only available to Charter Members). Speaking with them will give you the reality of what opportunities there are out there. They will also be a great network for your future endeavors.

All the best,
Darren

OP
OP
BeginAgain

BeginAgain

Sep 15, 2011
Florida

mariner said:
Jake,

Welcome to the Forum and good luck with your dream, but make sure you stay in touch with those two daughters of yours, or you will be losing treasure that is more valuable than anything you are liable to find on the ocean floor.

Mariner

I appreciate this comment. It is sincere and sound advice from decent people like yourself that has kept me afloat this year as I make my way towards achieving my dreams. For the sake of not sounding like an over-zealous deadbeat dad, I should have mentioned in my original post that no matter what my dream is or how I plan on pursuing it, my two girls mean more to me than anything in this entire world. They live with their mom and grandparents in Tijuana just over the border from here in San Diego and I see them quite often. However, it is also because I love them so much that I will be moving away for a year to a year and a half to finish my degree at UWF. They deserve a dad who is happy with what he does and they deserve to be able to grow up proud of his achievements too. San Diego is a major Southwest Airlines hub city and I plan on flying out often or having my parents (in Las Vegas) bring them out every so often as well. There just isnt enough time or space to write so many details about my personal life and how my girls fit in to it, but just know this is not so spontaneous as I may have erroneously made it sound in my original post. This is a well thought out career change and the right thing to do. Again, I appreciate the comments, they are a great first impression of the type of people I'm sure are all over this forum.
Jake

pcolaboy

Sep 5, 2006
Pensacola, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS

Congratulations on pursuing your dream. I regretfully changed my major to business at UWF just before the first Emmanuel Point wreck was located in 1992. One of my fraternity brothers was among the first group of students to work the wreck and it literally broke my heart :-\

There are certainly several dozen colonial wrecks in Pensacola Bay alone awaiting "official discovery". Keep me posted on your adventures!

Donovan

Jun 10, 2005

Good for you. History underwater is truly a never ending adventure.
The Mel Fisher Museum has a summer intern program that you might want to look into. There is no substitute for hands on experience.
The Florida Keys Community college also has it's own shipwreck to learn on. The Marie J. Thompson, a four masted schooner built in the Bahamas and sunk in Key West harbor.
Have fun and have a great ride.
Splash,
Donovan

OP
OP
BeginAgain

BeginAgain

Sep 15, 2011
Florida

PcolaBoy said:
Congratulations on pursuing your dream. I regretfully changed my major to business at UWF just before the first Emmanuel Point wreck was located in 1992. One of my fraternity brothers was among the first group of students to work the wreck and it literally broke my heart :-\

There are certainly several dozen colonial wrecks in Pensacola Bay alone awaiting "official discovery". Keep me posted on your adventures!

What a story man! I definitely feel for you! I think I read on the UWF website that they now dive two of the Luna fleet's ships (aka Emanuel Point Wreck II) and you're right, I know that Luna lost at least 5 ships in that same hurricane. Thanks for your comments.
Jake

pcolaboy

Sep 5, 2006
Pensacola, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS

BeginAgain said:
PcolaBoy said:

What a story man! I definitely feel for you! I think I read on the UWF website that they now dive two of the Luna fleet's ships (aka Emanuel Point Wreck II) and you're right, I know that Luna lost at least 5 ships in that same hurricane. Thanks for your comments.
Jake

Yes there are more De Luna ships, but those weren't the only colonial wrecks I'm referring to. UWF has done a great job keeping alot of their subsequent discoveries under wraps for years. This insures the longevity of their program. Sad but true. Still, I'd love to be right there in the middle of it all. :laughing7:

OP
OP
BeginAgain

BeginAgain

Sep 15, 2011
Florida

Do you think I'd be better off doing the program online and moving elsewhere in Florida to work and gain experience? I think the only hands on experience in the BA program at UWF is done during the Summer course, right? Online study is no big deal for me, thats how I got almost all of my current 100+ credits anyway.
Thanks
Jake

OP
OP
BeginAgain

BeginAgain

Sep 15, 2011
Florida

Donovan said:
Good for you. History underwater is truly a never ending adventure.
The Mel Fisher Museum has a summer intern program that you might want to look into. There is no substitute for hands on experience.
The Florida Keys Community college also has it's own shipwreck to learn on. The Marie J. Thompson, a four masted schooner built in the Bahamas and sunk in Key West harbor.
Have fun and have a great ride.
Splash,
Donovan

Thank you Donovan! I tried looking up information regarding the Summer internship program with the Mel Fisher Museum, but I can't find any relevant info... Does anyone have a link they could post? Thanks

pcolaboy

Sep 5, 2006
Pensacola, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS

BeginAgain said:
Do you think I'd be better off doing the program online and moving elsewhere in Florida to work and gain experience? I think the only hands on experience in the BA program at UWF is done during the Summer course, right? Online study is no big deal for me, thats how I got almost all of my current 100+ credits anyway.
Thanks
Jake

I believe their only in-depth field schools are in the summer. I think their goal is to dive 3 days a week, and a couple days a week doing lab work. I don't think you'll get a better variety of local colonial shipwrecks to work on than UWF. However, there are no 'known' treasure ships to have wrecked here other than a payroll ship from 1733 :wink:. If you're ultimately looking to being the on hand Archie for treasure salvage, then I suspect the suggestions for Mel Fisher's program are your best bet.

OP
OP
BeginAgain

BeginAgain

Sep 15, 2011
Florida
PcolaBoy said:
BeginAgain said:
Thanks
Jake

I believe their only in-depth field schools are in the summer. I think their goal is to dive 3 days a week, and a couple days a week doing lab work. I don't think you'll get a better variety of local colonial shipwrecks to work on than UWF. However, there are no 'known' treasure ships to have wrecked here other than a payroll ship from 1733 :wink:. If you're ultimately looking to being the on hand Archie for treasure salvage, then I suspect the suggestions for Mel Fisher's program are your best bet.

I'm just looking to get into treasure salvage, period! :notworthy: Not necessarily as an "archaeologist". This just seems like a great way for a newbie from the west coast with no experience to get into the field! I would much rather prefer to be able to just jump right into a working salvage operation, but with no experience and no money to invest that just 'aint gonna happen! So the plan is to let Uncle Sam pay for me to finish my degree in Maritime Studies at UWF and turn me into a marketable asset over the next year and a half so that my chances of landing a job as part of the crew of a working salvage operation are increased. :headbang:

Au_Dreamers

Dec 15, 2010
back on the 1715!!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Alexandre said:
You either do salvage or you do archaeology.

But you will learn that. :)

Only if you believe so....

BeginAgain,
Many salvage operations lack crew. It mostly boils down to what you are willing to work for...

OP
OP
BeginAgain

BeginAgain

Sep 15, 2011
Florida
Alexandre said:

I agree with you Alexandre is the sense that once I finish my studies, I will have to make a decision as to how I put that education to use in the real world. But what is wrong with someone who already KNOWS they want to salvage getting an education in as close a field as possible to treasure salvaging? I see nothing wrong with it. In fact, I can't see why any salvage operation wouldn't want a trained nautical archaeologist on their salvage/recovery crew... just ask Odyssey...
I'm going to be able to research possible sites, lay out a grid, recover and identify artifacts, preserve them, etc. I am well versed in the philisophical and ethical argument of Archaeology vs. Salvaging and have already made the decision to put whatever training I receive towards a career in salvage. I do appreciate your comments though Alexandre and I welcome any input from anyone in the field.
Alexandre,
muito orbrigado mi compadre Portugués. Espero que no se haya ofendido por mis comentários ni por mi opinión. Se que me hace falta experiencia en el campo y por eso estimo mucho a todos los que pertenecen a TreasureNet.com.
Saludos,
Jake Harris

OP
OP
BeginAgain

BeginAgain

Sep 15, 2011
Florida
Au_Dreamers said:
Alexandre said:

Only if you believe so....

BeginAgain,
Many salvage operations lack crew. It mostly boils down to what you are willing to work for...

Well, given the fact that I am single and a full time college student (albeit online), I'd be willing to work for a lot less than what a lot of other guys would. I'm a huge history buff so the experience gained working on a site would be looked at in the same way a jobhunter considers company benefits like a 401k or medical insurance before applying :thumbsup: All I need is a place to sleep, internet access, 1 or 2 meals a day and a reason to get out of bed every morning and into the water and I'm set! If anyone needs a crew member and has a boat that can accommodate at least 1 person in a comfortable live-aboard type situation (read: stove, toilet, sink and shower), I'd be willing to work for even less as far as wages go. I'm mechanically inclined, speak 100% fluent Spanish, read and write basic Arabic, grew up in a family that had boats and used them my whole childhood and adolescence, I'm a professional Spanish translator and former translation business owner, I was finishing a degree in Emergency Management and Spanish before I switched to Maritime Studies, I've worked 10+ years in the legal field, attended 1 semester of medical school and have basic medical training (sutures, first aid, etc.). My friends call me "Jake of all trades" lol. I think I'd be able to pull my weight and be a good addition to any Florida salvage endeavor. If anyone needs a drug/alcohol free crewmember with no loose ends or drama, I'm your man.
Jake

Denniss

Jan 7, 2011
Fort Pierce, FL
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Fisher Impulse, Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
BeginAgain said:
Alexandre said:

I agree with you Alexandre is the sense that once I finish my studies, I will have to make a decision as to how I put that education to use in the real world. But what is wrong with someone who already KNOWS they want to salvage getting an education in as close a field as possible to treasure salvaging? I see nothing wrong with it. In fact, I can't see why any salvage operation wouldn't want a trained nautical archaeologist on their salvage/recovery crew... just ask Odyssey...
I'm going to be able to research possible sites, lay out a grid, recover and identify artifacts, preserve them, etc. I am well versed in the philisophical and ethical argument of Archaeology vs. Salvaging and have already made the decision to put whatever training I receive towards a career in salvage. I do appreciate your comments though Alexandre and I welcome any input from anyone in the field.
Alexandre,
muito orbrigado mi compadre Portugués. Espero que no se haya ofendido por mis comentários ni por mi opinión. Se que me hace falta experiencia en el campo y por eso estimo mucho a todos los que pertenecen a TreasureNet.com.
Saludos,
Jake Harris

If I was going for a degree in U/W archaeology I wouldn't be letting the professors know that my ultimate goal was treasure salvage. Definitely won't help your grades. They might put impediments in your way.

Here's a link to Texas A&M Nautical Archaeology, the attitude academics have for treasure hunters shines through

http://nautarch.tamu.edu/shiplab/treasurehunters_04faqs.htm

http://nautarch.tamu.edu/shiplab/index_treasurehunters.htm

RELICDUDE07

Bronze Member
Oct 2, 2007
Pascagoula Ms.
Detector(s) used
minelab exp.
Alexandre is so right.You can sit in the room & daydream about treasure but that is all,then it's back to the pottery sherds & fish bones!lol

CanadianTrout

May 21, 2007
Canada
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Hello BeginAgain, congrats on pursueing your dreams. You are enbarking on an adventure that i wish I had done 20yrs ago. I'm so happy for you.

OP
OP
BeginAgain

BeginAgain

Sep 15, 2011
Florida
RELICDUDE07 said:
Alexandre is so right.You can sit in the room & daydream about treasure but that is all,then it's back to the pottery sherds & fish bones!lol

Which is exactly why I plan on doing the BA program online while living in the Keys or near Sebastian and working on a salvage boat! Oh the irony! At least that way my professors will have even less of a chance of finding out that I am "infiltrating" the archaeology field in order to "rape and pillage" treasure sites :read2: , kinda like how the CIA trained the Mujahideen in Afghanistan in the 80's only to be fighting them 20-30 years later as the Taliban and Al Qaeda... but I digress.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread