Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: French in Florida prior to Menendez

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    da book worm--researcher

Feb 2007
    callahan,fl
    delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
    748 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Re: French in Florida prior to Menendez

charles fort * was another fort built close to what is now known as "charleston" , south carolina * it was the first attempted settlement by the french (even before fort caroline - which was the second attempt ) charles fort * after failing to get resupplied was abandoned by the settlers , only a few which made it back alive (but only after eating some of their fellow settlers that died for food while on their return trip homeward in their "homemade boat" ) its tale is not a pretty one.

us
    Oct 2007
    Pascagoula Ms.
    minelab exp.
    33 times

I look at a lot of maps .... When the place shows up again & again in the same location,i think it must have been close to that area......Fort Charle #13 Gulf of mexico
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hnoc_map27.gif 
Views:	956 
Size:	178.2 KB 
ID:	58170   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hnoc_map27.gif 
Views:	928 
Size:	178.2 KB 
ID:	578979  

us
    Oct 2007
    Pascagoula Ms.
    minelab exp.
    33 times

In early 1562, Gaspard Coligny de Châtillon, the Admiral of France, dispatched the Norman mariner Jean Ribault to lead two royal ships and 150 men to survey the east coast of North America and locate a site for a future French colony. Landing near modern Jacksonville, Florida, Ribault established relations with a number of native peoples as he took his ships north to Port Royal Sound. Impressed by the apparent potential of this area for a colony, Ribault, before returning to France, left behind more than two dozen volunteers, who constructed a small wooden fort which they named after their king. From here they intended to explore the area while waiting for Ribault to return with supplies and more settlers.Hmmmmm

us
    Aug 2007
    FL
    Explor II, seamk
    1 times

if worth anything, some note's, I saw ; there some kind settlement just north of the Main NPS
    office, which is today: " Buck Island" and, pending which map, or map's... there where French sites
    on just north Batten Island, and Fanning Island..

I'll bet the Kingsley family could tell us a thing or two! YES they can!!

us
    May 2008
    Wisconsin
    GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
    578 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Quote Originally Posted by RELICDUDE07
    I look at a lot of maps .... When the place shows up again & again in the same location,i think it must have been close to that area......Fort Charle #13 Gulf of mexico

The thing about the French is that they tend to repeat place names, Presque Isle and Grand Marais are good examples. There are a lot of them.
    "A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything." — Friedrich Nietzsche

"You ask where I live. I cannot tell you. I am a Voyageur, a Chicot, sir. I live everywhere. My grandfather was a voyageur; he died while on a voyage. My father was a voyageur; he died while on a voyage. I will also die while en route, and another Chicot will take my place. Such is our course of life."

us
    Oct 2007
    Pascagoula Ms.
    minelab exp.
    33 times

Yes the spanish did that also - i have found #5 cubas...But they all had to start with 1 somewhere. If i could find some info on a later fort in this area with the name Charle fort then i may change my mind.The map is 1718

us
    May 2008
    Wisconsin
    578 times

Quote Originally Posted by RELICDUDE07
    Yes the spanish did that also - i have found #5 cubas...But they all had to start with 1 somewhere. If i could find some info on a later fort in this area with the name Charle fort then i may change my mind.The map is 1718
    Well, I'm not going to take on changing your mind - I have to do way too much of that already, and the best person to do that is you.

Here's a hint: I just set up my 'software' to make that possible; saves an enormous amount of time, money, and aggravation.
    "A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything." — Friedrich Nietzsche

"You ask where I live. I cannot tell you. I am a Voyageur, a Chicot, sir. I live everywhere. My grandfather was a voyageur; he died while on a voyage. My father was a voyageur; he died while on a voyage. I will also die while en route, and another Chicot will take my place. Such is our course of life."

us
    Jun 2011

Cedar Key once had huge stands of Cedar trees.

Apr 2008
    12 times
    Banner Finds (1)

Signumops, Just looking over this thread... My wife is dutch and can maybe translate for you... I will show her the page you posted and see if she can... I know the Dutch written in your book is old, kinda like old Spanish. I have other books that I've had her translate for me and she did just fine.

Feb 2007
    U.S.
    Garrett, Minelab, Aqua-Pulse
    71 times

Goho:
    Thanks, but, Gaetan Algoet is doing the translation and we are already a third of the way done. I want to have the book out by Spring. Gaetan seems to be zipping through it, and I know it must be hard to read. Most of it is printed in Volk Script.

Meanwhile we are cross checking it with Lyon, Bennett, Melanich, B. Smith, Hawkins and so forth. The whole story(s) has become somewhat mythical.

What definitely is a fact through several sources, including this one I am working on: Spaniards were cruising Treasure Coast and beyond on slave raids probably before Ponce DeLeon got here. There could be some very old stuff to find in the Eastern Florida Coastal Zone.

us
    May 2008
    Wisconsin
    578 times

Quote Originally Posted by signumops
    Goho:What definitely is a fact through several sources, including this one I am working on: Spaniards were cruising Treasure Coast and beyond on slave raids probably before Ponce DeLeon got here. There could be some very old stuff to find in the Eastern Florida Coastal Zone.
    Can you give sources for that?

I'm interested in early Indian - Spanish interaction. That would explain a lot.

Feb 2007
    U.S.
    71 times

The book we are translating specifys an incident where 40 Indians were captured by the Spanish from the natives in the vicinity of Jacksonville. Also you can find similar footnotes in "The Enterprise of Florida" by Eugene Lyon. The Cantino map of 1502, excerpted below, shows Florida with placenames, including some in the Gulf. The Indians in Hispaniola were killed off by around 1500, so Spain needed more slave labor. I will give you some more later. Gotta run to a BBQ right now.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cantino.jpg 
Views:	794 
Size:	99.1 KB 
ID:	579580  

us
    da book worm--researcher

Feb 2007
    callahan,fl
    delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
    748 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)

if the spanish took slaves from what is now known as the "jacksonville" area earlier on before the french put fort caroline in the st johns river in 1562* --that might explain why the indains there were freindly to the french when they arrived (since the french did not carry any off or attempt to "enslave" them but instead traded with them) plus once the indains found out that the french were foes of the spanish "enslavers"-- the indains figgered out that having the french around could prove useful against farther spanish "slave raids"

us
    Oct 2007
    Pascagoula Ms.
    minelab exp.
    33 times

I think some of the Mound builder Indians on the gulf coast were trading with ships from the (Sung) Dynasty (960-1276 I'm just a bit cazy also

Feb 2007
    U.S.
    71 times

Yep, the French allied with the Indians against the Spanish for sure and made good use of them when they made their first initial attack on the Spaniards in Florida. French went by ship and the Indians coordinated with them for the land attack.

When Ponce de Leon landed on the east coast of Florida, he was met with a hail of arrows and was forced to retreat. This was not the reception paid the French. The Indians recognized him as a Spaniard presumably and drove him away.

Hard to know if the slavers in the New World would record their comings and goings in Florida early on (first decade of the 1500's) as there was a royal edict forbidding the slavery of the native population, albeit a tongue in cheek arrangement.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors