Most Valuable shipwreck Not found?

allen_idaho

Dec 4, 2007
Culdesac, Idaho
There aren't that many famous wrecks that haven't been found aside from maybe the "Asiatic Prince" which vanished in the Pacific in 1928 with $260,000 in Gold. But there are hundreds of not-so-famous wrecks out there that would definately be worth the salvage.

bronzecannons

Sep 1, 2005
Oceanside, CA
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
allen_idaho said:
There aren't that many famous wrecks that haven't been found aside from maybe the "Asiatic Prince" which vanished in the Pacific in 1928 with $260,000 in Gold. But there are hundreds of not-so-famous wrecks out there that would definately be worth the salvage.

Huh? Are you serious? There's lots of famous wrecks that have not be found to date. Maybe none in Idaho, but plenty worldwide. One of the first that comes to mind is the Portuguese ship, Flor do Mar. There's lots of others. Just do an internet search on that my friend.
TW

signumops

Feb 28, 2007
U.S.
Detector(s) used
Garrett, Minelab, Aqua-Pulse
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Read "Galleons and Sunken Treasure" by Claudio Bonifacio. Read "Historic Shipwrecks of the Dominican Republic and Haiti" by Lubos Kordac. Between them you will find at least a hundred. "Shipwrecks and Sunken Treasure in Southeast Asia" by bronzecannons is packed full of listings too. There's wrecks all over the place that could make your day.

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
Sir Robert Marx has written about unfound sunken fortunes for decades. Along with his many magazine articles you might be interested in:

The World's Richest Wrecks: A Wreck Diver's Guide to Gold and Silver Treasures of the Seas, Robert F. Marx & Jennifer Marx (2009).

Personally, I'd like to see a good author update Potter's classic "Homewrecker," including all the finds since that classic came out many years ago.

Good luck to all,

~The Old Bookaroo

allen_idaho

Dec 4, 2007
Culdesac, Idaho
I'm sorry I don't know much about spanish galleons. Didn't think they'd be considered famous aside from the Atocha. When I hear the term "famous wreck", I usually think of ships like the Titanic, the Egypt, the Luisitania, the Lutine, the Islander, etc. etc. etc.

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
There's nothing to keep the name of a sunken vessel alive than a tale of treasure that went down with the ship.

I don't think many people today would know the names of the Brother Jonathan, Rio de Janeiro, or Yankee Blade if treasure myths didn't surround those hulks.

On the other hand, tragedies such as the Edmund Fitzgerald (lost with a valuable cargo, of course, but hardly a "treasure") remain in the public interest.

Good luck to all,

~The Old Bookaroo

ropesfish

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
A sharp eye, an AquaPulse and a finely tuned shrimp fork.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Mitchell_78613 said:
Of all the shipwrecks that have been found, what are some of the famous ones that have yet to be found? Any of the treasure ships of note that they have no clue what happend to them at all and no idea, where they are?

There are many rich shipwrecks to be found. Shortly after they are found when the recovery of high value items becomes public knowledge they will become famous.
The UN published a figure that there are an estimated 3 million shipwrecks. Seems like we have plenty left to look for.

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
I believe the San Jose may have been the richest wreck so far not found. Said to have foundered somewhere between Cuba and South America: a little territory to cover there, and some fairly deep as well.

Glad to hear someone else has even heard of Gordon Lightfoot's "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald". Great song by a great composer IMHO.

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
Apparently we can take the SS Gairsoppa off the list.

The British cargo ship, torpedoed by a German U-boat in February 1941, has been found almost 3 miles down on the bottom of the North Atlantic - about 300 miles off the coast of Ireland.

Good luck to all,

~The Old Bookaroo

Chagy

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
"San Jose"-------Bobadilla 1502-------1605 Luis de Cordova-------1659 Santiago and many, many more

wrecker

Mar 5, 2008
Germany
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Minelab Excalibur 1000
"San Jose'" I'd say. And there are still some of the Manila Galleons out there under the Pacific.

bronzecannons

Sep 1, 2005
Oceanside, CA
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
The 'San Andres' is another 'outward bound' Manila Galleon that was lost in the Philippines with over 2,200 crates of Chinese Porcelain, Gold Jewelry, Silver coins, etc.
TW

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread