One and a half cannon balls

Mr nibbs

Jul 16, 2010
The large round object, which is the complete cannon ball was found stuck to rocks,with kelp growing on it, the second black object with stones stuck to it has been deep under sand and pebbles or many years.This turned out to be the half a cannon ball. We hope to put a short video on youtube of then crud being knocked off the objects.
As I am diving a lot at the moment, I have started a daily blog www.themoreilook.blogspot.com
Didn't what to cram this great board with stuff that not so many people would find interesting.

Out again tomorrow, themoreilook, the luckier I get

Attachments

• mike with balls 011.jpg
    mike with balls 011.jpg
    357.7 KB · Views: 711
  • mike with balls 014.jpg
    mike with balls 014.jpg
    443.9 KB · Views: 688
  • one and a half balls 016.jpg
    one and a half balls 016.jpg
    470.7 KB · Views: 794

cornelis 816

Sep 3, 2010
Mr Nibbs. You are not cramming this forum !!!! At least you are a working diver . Most of what we read on this forum is non diving related put here by some young guys that have nothing more to do than post garbage . So ...... post some more of what you are doing . My interest you have . Cornelius

Hangingfor8

Dec 16, 2007
New Smyrna Beach, Florida 32168
Detector(s) used
Minelab and Aquapulse
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
You are not cramming this forum. It's the things like this that make this forum great. Thos are wonderful finds. How are you preserving them? I have a few cannon balls that we had to soak for over a year. It may sound like a longtime, but it'll insure you have them for years to come. I'd love to see more pictures.

Au_Dreamers

Dec 15, 2010
back on the 1715!!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will most definitely agree with the above posters. Post those pics you’re not cramming up the board.

Contrary to what some archaeologists believe some of us like artifacts that aren’t silver, gold or gems.

Some of us just like finding stuff and some of us like finding old stuff!

1715 cannon ball about the size of a grapefruit, I believe a 12 pounder

Attachments

• 1715 Cannon Ball resized.JPG
    1715 Cannon Ball resized.JPG
    42.3 KB · Views: 2,751
OP
OP
M

Mr nibbs

Jul 16, 2010
Thanks for the nice comments, the cannon balls our in fresh water along with the cannon we found one year ago.
I think the balls our 18 or 24 ponders I will weigh one and let you know the weight. The broken ball is completely hollow, wants we remove the small stones you be able to see it, Any info on why the ball would be hollow ??

Here is a photo of one we found last year,its like it was made yesterday.

Attachments

• mistery finds 017.jpg
    mistery finds 017.jpg
    507 KB · Views: 629

bikerlawyer

Jan 9, 2008
Melbourne Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was hollow so they could fill it with gunpowder and a fuse, nothing like firing a huge grenade at the enemy!

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mr. Nibbs, you got yourself a nice set of balls, LOL. On a more serious note, both of those should be treated by electrolysis. One of my buddies found a grenade of a ship from the 1700s and did not treat it and with in days it began to self destruct. Before long there was nothing left but the crumbs. Those hollow ones do not last at all if not treated. Let me know if you need instructions on doing the electrolysis. and I will post the instructions for it. I have treated many cannon balls and they are all still in one piece.
ZDD

CaribbeanDiver

Oct 28, 2004
Zodiac is right.

Even as you break it open, get it soaking in Salt Away (Or West Marines cheaper version) immediately. Iron can stay in a salt away solution for years before you treat it with reverse electrolysis. 1oz per 2 gallon.

There is nothing worse than ruining an artifact!

Great find! :)

OP
OP
M

Mr nibbs

Jul 16, 2010
Went out diving again today. Took the old git Ray with me!

Found this piece of crockery and thought some one might like to see it. Has a cool stamp on it

New Zealand Shipping company, bit of luck that the only bit I found had a mark on it.

But there again the more I look the luckier I get.

Is any one else out there looking at the moment ?

Attachments

• Ray 001.jpg
    Ray 001.jpg
    355.1 KB · Views: 855
  • n z shipping company 001.jpg
    n z shipping company 001.jpg
    199.7 KB · Views: 887
  • n z shipping company 002.jpg
    n z shipping company 002.jpg
    185.7 KB · Views: 849

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi there Mr. Nibbs, we are still wreck diving for now but will soon start our harbour grubbing. When I do I will post our finds, but we should see if we can start a new forum for bottom finds. They aren't really ship wreck items but still cool finds.
I see your dive buddie is still looking spry as ever.
ZDD

OP
OP
M

Mr nibbs

Jul 16, 2010
Hi ZZD The find came from the same site as the cannon and cannon balls, unfortunately the site is contaminated with other stuff of a different age. Metal detector finds loads of fishing weights etc.
Every thing is logged and reported to the receiver of wrecks which is UK law. Every find is important to try and help us identify the site.
I think we are learning fast that if one ship was wrecked at a certain spot, there is a good chance other ships modern or old have ended up at the same spot.

Keeping the faith

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mr nibbs said:
Hi ZZD The find came from the same site as the cannon and cannon balls, unfortunately the site is contaminated with other stuff of a different age. Metal detector finds loads of fishing weights etc.
Every thing is logged and reported to the receiver of wrecks which is UK law. Every find is important to try and help us identify the site.
I think we are learning fast that if one ship was wrecked at a certain spot, there is a good chance other ships modern or old have ended up at the same spot.

Keeping the faith

When you regester your finds will you be aloud to keep them and can you apply for a salvage permit?
Good luck with you hunting and keep us posted.
ZDD

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love these kind of post. Cannon balls = history so post on!!

OP
OP
M

Mr nibbs

Jul 16, 2010
Here in the UK you have to report to HM Receiver of wrecks any thing you recover from the water within 28days. Yes anything! bike wheels, bottles, diving weights any thing/every thing.

She then has one year and one day to find the owner. If no owner is found your find then belongs to the crown.
She then tries to find any government department/museum that wants your find. If no want wants it, its yours to keep.

If they want it,then they have to pay you for your salvage service.

Wants you have recovered something you have a duty of care to preserve that find.

You can claim salvage rights on site, which means you cant stop people diving on that site but they are not allowed to remove any thing.

How one polices that is another matter.

Hope this helps

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread