Filing seeks sole ownership of treasure

Teredo Navalis

Oct 22, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SteveMC,
You must not have read the entire paper. Please read page 39 and it's direct facts of the specific gravity of oolitic agronite sand, using the world wide classic reference of Bahamian oolitic aragonite. The specific gravity is 2.90 ( ranges from 2.88-2.92 ) As per the Halimedia, it is lighter, and ranges from 2.45-2.71, but due to it's natural porous nature has sediment present within it. I can reference you a classic study from Bikini Atoll if you would like to entertain a scientific discussion.
Please provide me with any true facts or references if you have any. Otherwise, please save your criticism. I am sticking to facts with supporting documentation.

Teredo Navalis

Oct 22, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SteveMC,
Please also consider the following article which reviews the different size of pours present in Halimeda. Again, I am positive Emeralds would be found on the surface of all sands found in the region. The best compromise I would give, is in very specific Halimeda, the may be partially submerged and intermixed. Under no circumstance would they drop to the bottom. I haven't even begun to discuss the full impact of grain size and it's relationship to compaction. Cheers

GeoRef, Copyright 2006, American Geological Institute.
Reactive surface area of skeletal carbonates during dissolution; effect of grain size
Lynn M. Walter and John W. Morse
+ Author Affiliations

Univ. Miami, Dep. Mar. Geol. and Geophys., Miami, FL, United States
Tex. A&M Univ., Dep. Oceanogr., United States
Abstract

Major advances have recently been made in quantifying the chemical parameters which control carbonate mineral reaction kinetics in natural waters. One of the primary factors influencing rates of reaction is the amount of surface area per unit mass available for reaction. For relatively smooth, nonporous carbonates, the relationship between reactive and total surface area measured by gas adsorption has proven simple. However, the dominant carbonates in the marine environment are biogenic and exhibit complex microstructures. We have performed experiments to determine dinghy what proportion of the total surface area of these biogenic carbonates is actually available for reaction during dissolution. Three biogenic carbonates having widely differing microstructures ( Halimeda, coral, and echinoid) were chosen for study and comparison with rhombic calcite. The influence of grain size on the relation between total surface area, determined from gas adsorption, and reactive surface area, determined relative to rhombic calcite during dissolution in constant composition solutions, was of primary concern. Unlike rhombic calcites, total surface area for texturally complex biogenic grains varied slightly or not at all with increasing grain size. However, both rhombic calcite and biogenic carbonate dissolution rates were inversely related to grain radius. This implies that much of the total surface area of biogenic carbonates is unavailable for reaction with the aqueous solution. Dissolution rates were a function of both grain size and microstructure. We have defined an empirical roughness factor which quantifies the difference in reactive surface area between rhombic calcite and a given biogenic grain of equivalent size. The roughness factor increased with grain microstructural complexity but was independent of grain size over the grain-size range (51-513 microns) studied. The maximum roughness factor value observed was 7 for Halimeda relative to a value of 1 for rhombic calcite. Our findings indicate that both microstructure and grain size can play important roles in controlling reactivity of biogenic carbonates during diagenesis. The relative significance of grain size versus microstructure for carbonate dissolution rates in natural systems is discussed.

ropesfish

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
A sharp eye, an AquaPulse and a finely tuned shrimp fork.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I'm sorry but my BS detector just fried a circuit when all the alarms went off at once...and I had just gotten it back into service after the original post of...(paraphrasing)...they found the stones lying in plain sight on the bottom in shallow water.
Dammit!

Au_Dreamers

Dec 15, 2010
back on the 1715!!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I guess you are talking theory from a Lab more than actuality in those waters.
If "they" found them laying on top of the sand then why aren't the Atocha emeralds found laying on top of the sand?

I guess they just like to dredge instead of picking them up off the top layer of sand? :icon_scratch:

Escudoman

Jul 16, 2011
California
Interesting when you combine this with the facts that Jay made trips to Columbia visiting the mines in 2010. Emeralds can be purchased cheap down there with investors monies. Passport trips are easy to track down. Besides he stated the boxes of stones my father saw were worthless. Hmmmmmmm! Why would the Spanish ship low grade stones and the other stones that can be found in Europe. 5 to 10% of stones mined are of gem quality. This is a fact. Why would he keep boxes of worthless stones? Something is rotten in Key West. Hey Dell! Didn't you find an emerald at Ft Myers a few months back and it was 3 to 4 feet deep in the sand? The one that you gave to Pete?
JMO

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Dell found that at Ft Pierce. Under 6 feet of sand. Teredo, that article has nothing to do with what we are talking about. We are not talking about dissolution rates and how to speed it up. We are talking about emeralds that float on very light sand. I still havent been shown this. I still stick to my first hunch and this is a bunch of BS.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread