Palm Beach County To Let Boca Man Excavate Dubois Park Mound For Treasure ????

CanadianTrout

May 21, 2007
Canada
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
:o

Cool. Hope he uncovers a pile of chests overflowing with coins. Just to see the look on their faces....

I didn't see any mention in the article about this but who gets to keep whatever, if anything, is found?

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
I would be interested to see if the State really signs off on this. I would imagine they would want someone on site with him if they do.

Interestingly, if it is coins or something that could have come from the Jupiter Wreck, JWI has Admiralty rights, and could file a claim against it!

Good luck! I do hope he finds something and does good things with his wealth!

Robert

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
"The chance of this being from a sunken treasure ship and buried by survivors, Indians or pirates is very good, as there are known treasure ships wrecked near the Jupiter inlet and Indians and pirates are known to have buried chests near Indian mounds..."

Someone has been reading the collected works of L. Frank Hudson.

He lost me at "...pirates are known to have buried chests..."

Good luck to all,

~The Old Bookaroo

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
William "Bill" Mooney has been in the news before for similar, failed stunts in the Boca Raton area.

I think it would be a mistake if the county lets him dig in Dubois Park. If they do, you can expect other permit requests for similar ventures at other places in the county. If they approve this dig, they will have to approve others too right?

There are certainly quite a few legends of gold on the beaches and in the vicinity of Jupiter inlet. Some of these are mentioned in Bob Baer's new book on the Jupiter inlet shipwreck.

In the "comment's" section to the newspaper story mentioned above is this:

I lived on Juno Beach nearly 50 years ago. I fished Jupiter and Juno and roamed all over that area. There was an elderly beach bum kind of guy who was always raking the beach, especially after a storm for gold coins. He found them on a regular basis and I saw one. He kept low key and sold his coins to whoever had the cash, I did not. I was/am a diver and it was "common" knowledge that a Spanish ship had sunk in a storm out off the inlet. That is where the gold coins are, bet on it!!!!
Gerard. 5:08 PM, 11/3/2011

Tom

RELICDUDE07

Bronze Member
Oct 2, 2007
Pascagoula Ms.
Detector(s) used
minelab exp.
Good post! I hope they let him-funny how he got a hit on the detector in the 1st place if it's a state park?Is Dubois park a State park?

RELICDUDE07

Bronze Member
Oct 2, 2007
Pascagoula Ms.
Detector(s) used
minelab exp.
Knowing the state,they will go dig it up & then issue the permit ------place a bag of old rusty railroad spikes in the hole for Mr. Bill :laughing7:

wwwtimmcp

Bronze Member
Sep 22, 2007
wakeman, ohio
Detector(s) used
J.W.FISHERS pulse 8x
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I hope he finds something, if not fill in the hole and replant the grass. no big deal.

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
DuBois is a county park, not a state park.

Much of the park is comprised of indian mounds & middens and the old DuBois Pioneer Home, listed on the National Register of Historical Places, sits on top of what is left of a large midden.

There was a lot of digging going on there today. It might have been just some much needed maintenance and then again, it might not. :icon_pirat:

Tom

ps. Jorge, it was nice to meet you metal detecting on the beach today. We will have to team up sometime

Attachments

• dubois digging 01.jpg
    dubois digging 01.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 868
  • dubois digging 02.jpg
    dubois digging 02.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 867

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I read that they werent going to let him dig. There is also a no metal detecting rule in the park. And they told him that too. It seems that they were a little mad at him. I wonder how he found it without metal detecting?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread