Humminbird 987c SI side-imaging sonar...anybody got one?

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
ToyMan,

You can adjust the brightness of the image right on the unit itself, but more important is you can adjust the sensitivity. That will reduce the highlights. You can also invert and change colors. If you play with these features you will find one that suits you. The invert seems to work very well. But you have to get used to reading the shadows as bright areas instead of black. I prefer the Blue/White.
Make sure you are in the Advanced User Mode.

Check it out!

Robert in SC

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
I see alot of interesting targets in your side scan. The question is, what are they? The only way to know (if you don't already) is get in the water and check em out. I see lots of targets there, not just the ones down in the left hand corner. How about the right hand image, it looks to have some smaller targets.

All I can say, is go dive!

Good luck and hope you find something interesting!

Robert in SC

Voldbjerg

Feb 9, 2006
Robert: It seems that you have experience with this equipment. Have you found any problems or isues related to thermocline?

Regards

Voldbjerg

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
The unit is very sensitive but I have not noticed a problem with thermoclines. It is sensitive enough that is will pick up tiny air bubble left from passing boats minutes after they have gone by. We do not have very significant theromclines here and I mostly use it in salt water. The resolution on this unit in fresh water is absolutely amazing, so I would imagine there would be some effect there! I have no evidence to support that, but it would have to be minimal.

Overall, the unit is excellent for shallow water searches. Well worth the money.

Robert in SC

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
AquaPulse AQ1B - AquaPulse DX-200 Magnetometer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
In looking for data on this unit, I stopped by a local boat store to inquire about the unit. The guy who owns the shop has one and is also a diver. He said that in hard thermoclines, the image detail is pretty much the same, but the actual depth may be off by a few feet. We have a lake here that is 79 degrees at the surface, and 42 degrees at 60 feet. If you've got a worse thermocline than that, I'm sorry for you :D

He showed me some stored scans done on that lake, and you can see very good detail. You could actually see our pink flamingo yard ornament at 90 feet. Few local divers will go 90 feet into pitch black 42 degree water, so we put him there at the base of the damn, and he is referred to as "IT", if you know what "IT" is, then you've got the balls to go there and find out. It's a rough dive, sort of a "right of passage" for local divers. Back on point though, if it can see a 2.5 foot yard ornament at 90 feet though 2 thermoclines of almost 20 degrees each, I don't see much of a problem. ;)

SEAHUNTER

Jan 10, 2006
PALM BEACH COUNTY,FLORIDA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RGecy said:
No, you would need two different units.

The side scan looks out to the side and sends an image of objects that are above the sea floor. The sub-bottom profiler looks directly down in a narrow beam and sees what is directly beneath the transducer under the sea floor.

I have heard where some surveys are performed towing all three devices in an array. Basically they tow a mag, then behind it a sub-bottom profiler, and behind that a side scan sonar. This way all data is collected in a single pass. There is software package that handles all the incoming data.

Robert in SC
Robert
Do you know where to get this software that will coordinate all three devices in one.
Scott

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
Scott,

The software is Hypack. Here is the website.

http://www.hypack.com/our_products.asp

Hummibird 987c SI update!

I have an update for those looking to buy or who already have the 987c. Humminbird announced the release of its 997c SI, basically the next gen of the 987c. The 997c has new features like recording capability and a higher resolution 600khz transducer. I recently emailed them and asked if the 987c software would be updated to record also, since the new 997c would make my $2000 987c obsolete!

The answer is YES, they are planning a software upgrade for the 987c in March/April that will give the 987c sonar recording to the SD port. This is excellent news since it will now allow you to record an entire run and go back through and look at anomalies afterwards. I did not ask if the new higher res. transduceres would be supported or if they will offer software for PC playback, but lets keep our fingers crossed.

Robert in SC

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I found a couple places that list the 997 for sale, so they must be out now. $2199 for all the bells and whistles. 987 is $1855 or somewhere around there. Might be cheaper somewhere else, but I could only find that price. They also have a smaller one now- 5.5" screen for $999. Also they mention the 987 upgrade too, so maybe thats out. You mentioned an SD port, is this the same as digital cameras use? If so then, I could get a 2 Gig SD card and have many, many hours of video. Or many photos. I saw someone on a website, who could mark things on the screen, with a X and I assume this was marked w/GPS? I am going to get one of these 997si!!!!!! Steve.

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
All the places I saw on the net that offer the 997 say they are back ordered or expected release late Jan or Feb. But thats just what I saw on the net. Humminbird has not officially put the product into their product list on the website, but the info is available. Here is a copy of the email from Humminbird Customer Service.

Mr. Gecy,

Thank you for your inquiry on the 987c. Once the new software is available it will also be released as a software download for the 987c to allow for the sonar recording feature. This will be a software update that you can download from our website once the software is released. The new products that contain this feature are not scheduled to be released until March of 07.

Kind Regards,
Deborah

The sooner the better.

Steve, I saw one site that said their advertised price was not their lowest price on these units and you would have to call for better pricing.

http://www.threeriversmarine.citymax.com/catalog/item/2519364/4054487.htm

You mentioned an SD port, is this the same as digital cameras use?
Yes, this is the same SD card you use in your camera. I have a 2 gig I just bought on sale for this exact reason. Never hurts to have too much memory!

Robert in SC

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I was just laying in bed thinking about the 997. Strange huh? Oh well, I can wait. When the first release of the 987 came out I was flippin out! I couldnt believe it! But I really wanted to see it with my own eyes in real life, it was too good to be true, it had to be a scam. So a couple years has gone by and i see it really is a great unit. Cant wait to get one now. I guess I have to. My daughter is getting married in 5 weeks, so I shouldnt spend any money till thats over anyway. Robert thanks for the input! Sorry I wont be up next weekend though, I am sure we will meet soon enough.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread