capt dom

Nov 9, 2006
Jupiter, Florida USA
Those who can... do

Those who can't.... teach

Those who can't teach..... administrate

an other old saying is.....

If they are not talking about you.....
you most probably are not doing anything....

Sir Bob has earned his place in the sun and both my wife and I am for
two, are proud to have broken bread and know him....

Attachments

• WEBRobert-Marx,-Dom-and-I-2.gif
    WEBRobert-Marx,-Dom-and-I-2.gif
    340.4 KB · Views: 2,534
  • WEBRobert-Marx,-Dom-and-I-2.gif
    WEBRobert-Marx,-Dom-and-I-2.gif
    340.4 KB · Views: 1,705

humble

May 26, 2011
I am both a friend, and a fan of Bob Marx for 35 years. I look forward to an opportunity to see him again. humble

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
It was just such a lecture that Bob Marx presented at the Cocoa Beach library in 1991 that got me started (professionally) in the historic shipwreck business. Bob contacted Mel on my behalf and got me my 1st subcontract on the 1715 fleet. He has been a mentor to me over the last 20 years.

Tom

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
He is definitly an old school, not politicly correct, tell it like it is kind of guy. I had met him several times when he worked for Real 8 and after his finds were taken away from the Maravillas. My dad used to deal with Real 8 he was the cob broker, and he would bring shipwreck items, and old bottles to trade for cobs at the Museum of Sunken Treasure in Satellite Beach, just North of Cocoa Beach. After I started driving at 16, and when I wanted to borrow my dads van to drive my buddies and me over to Sebastian Inlet to surf, he started having me bring boxes of bottles and stuff over to the museum, and I would bring home a box of cobs. Usually I was met at the back door by a big strong guy with black hair, who was Bob Marx. I was there the day after all the gold was stolen in 1971 I think, the day that Mel Fisher left Real 8, and was met by Bob Marx and he told me what happened. I was over with my dad in Indiatlantic, (I think I was 14 or 15)and he was going over to Bob's house to trade and talk. My dad said, you should wait here(motel), I said, I have heard it all I can handle it. We went over to his house and he told my dad the story of the crooked Bahamian government, and I have never heard so many explicitives describing a Bahamian. Or all Bahamians. More curse words than normal words. He was spitting mad telling the story, and back then, his bite would have been a lot worse than his bark. He was a big strong man. Needless to say he cannot go back to the bahamas. Some kind of a crooked deal was going on behind his back when they found out he did find treasure. He went through the Navy dive team and lived, he has been bit by a Mako shark and lived, been underwater with explosives that went off next to him, lots of other injuries that would put down most men. He is a great UW archeoligist, a great story teller, and I would love to hear him again.

Escudoman

Jul 16, 2011
California
My father is a close friend of Mr. Marx. I have met him 3 times while visiting with my father. I immensely enjoy sitting and listening to him and my dad chqt. he is a world of knowledge and I hope to grow up to do half of what he has done. A bit of a grouch at times, but he's earned the right to be so. I wiosh I could be there, but we are out of Florida now and my dad is off to frica in a few days, mining diamonds and gold. He will be running two eight inch dredges, and his artner is right now building a 10 in cutter head dredge for their operations. I know Bob would love to be there with my father grubbing for gold and diamonds. I saw Bob a few months ago and all those that know him should make attempts to see him as his health is going down hill. Dosen't help that when Jenifer leaves on trips he eats stuff he is not supposed to eat. :icon_thumright:
Gerrison.

bronzecannons

Sep 1, 2005
Oceanside, CA
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Sorry to say but I gotta add my ten cents here. When I met Marx in 1989 on our Flor do Mar project in Indonesia, I was excited and we all looked up to him. Unfortunately, that all changed when a few years later when he was suddenly writing articles about how 'he' found this ship and was even going around selling Flor do Mar 'artifacts' to everyone and his brother. That's really funny because if the Flor do Mar was really found, why didn't the Indonesian Government (who keep their representatives on board ever shipwreck project vessel and get 50 percent anything that's found) even know about it or even get a single COIN off of this wreck? Totally IMPOSSIBLE and so RIDICULOUS!

Well, all I can say is that it's ashamed that such a person like Marx who 'used' to be so well respected has somehow slipped into a life of selling fake artifacts to innocent buyers worldwide. Many innocent buyers are sickened by the fake 'Flor do Mar', as well as other so-called 'shipwreck artifacts, that Marx has sold them over the years. That's why they are seriously going after him now. I was contacted a few months ago by a lawyer (based in Melbourne, FL) who's putting together a major fraud case against Marx. If anyone has purchased any 'shipwreck artifacts' from him in these past several years, I'd advise you to bring those to an expert to get them authenticated. If they turn out to be fakes, I can put you in touch with the lawyer.

I did ask the lawyer if Marx already knows about this fraud case you're preparing against him and he said, 'He sure does! He is quite aware of everything that is going on now'. So, my question now is - If you didn't already know about it, why don't some of you who claim to be so close to Marx, kindly ask him about this case and let us know his response to that?

TW

Panfilo

Feb 20, 2007
Bob Marx doesn’t need anybody to defend him here. The thing that is troubling about the only other two negative posts on Bob Marx is that he does not post on Treasurenet, at least I have not read any, so it’s not correct or proper to attack a person’s integrity without him being here to present his side of the story and defend himself. Clearly if someone and their lawyer feel they have been wronged by him they are in their right to sue him but he gets his chance to tell his side of the story and a fair hearing. Not so in a forum where he does not participate.
Regarding the jade Flor do Mar figures, as we all know, in shipwreck artifacts there are many probable explanations and scenarios that could explain their origin without jumping to the conclusion they are fake. Though I have never spoken to Bob about them, we all know that after the team of a three day expedition leaves an area, the locals usually follow and sometimes they are the ones that at leisure find the wreck and sadly recover artifacts without any proper archaeological techniques or methodology. Present antiquities markets are full of such original yet undocumented finds and everyday the UNESCO Convention is in force , with its “in situ preservation” policy, more wreck artifacts will sadly be showing up in the world markets as we live in an imperfect world where the “locals” live in poverty levels and the easily recovered antiquities fetch a handsome price.
I f Bob Marx is to be accused of something, let it be done in a court of law with due process and a good lawyer standing beside him for him to tell his side of the story. When somebody says he told him he would kill him but not the rest of the story or the context of the threat, the circumstances, only half truths and omits the rest, I don’t think it’s fair. Bottom line is that Bob has many people that respect him and will attest to his proper business manner and a few that don’t. After 60 or more years in this unique business that is only normal for somebody that has dived in more than 2,000 wrecks. Some of our better “desk archaeologists” have only read about them or dived in a handful of them.
Panfilo

capt dom

Nov 9, 2006
Jupiter, Florida USA
One of the first lessons

Everyone who has taken the "front of the line"
learns is...

"expect to get some eggs thrown at you!"

Here is another one for all of you...

"If a group of guys are standing together, how do you tell
which one is the true explorer?"

bronzecannons

Sep 1, 2005
Oceanside, CA
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Panfilo,

I agree with you on one thing - let the courts decide on the Marx fraud case. If he's innocent and the artifact buyers are all full of it, then so be it.

TW

capt dom

Nov 9, 2006
Jupiter, Florida USA
The answer to my question is...

He is the guy with all the arrows in his back.....
You see, he is so out there in front of the crowd
even his friends and or beneficuraries end up taking shots
at him!

old man

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2003
East Coast
capt dom said:
The answer to my question is...

He is the guy with all the arrows in his back.....
You see, he is so out there in front of the crowd
even his friends and or beneficuraries end up taking shots
at him!

Capt Dom, If people have to take shots at you ( not you literally ) then you are obviously doing something right. You can't make everyone in the world happy. We all have opinions and some times they conflict with the opinions of others. I would also point out that there is probably a little pirate in everyone in this business. That doesn't make someone a bad person.
Personally, I think we would all be better off if we could ALL band together and work together. Look at UNESCO ? Don't you think it would be nice to have a lobby to fight them in this Country and Others. I look at leaving a wreck in situ and rotting on the bottom for hundreds of years, the same way I look at leaving food on your plate and throwing it away. Both things are a waste. :icon_pirat: :icon_pirat: :icon_pirat:

capt dom

Nov 9, 2006
Jupiter, Florida USA
Thanks old man for helping to drive home
the point of my ramblings...
most of us treasure hunters are too
busy, sitting around
and shooting each other and
thus ourselves in the foot!

captbonnie

Jan 22, 2007
Vero Beach FL
Detector(s) used
AQ1B
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
One of the greatest things the finding of the gold bird brought to me was a meeting with Bob Marx - I know all the controversy and all the stories and have been diving long enough to have no stars in my eyes -
my Mom is a sea captain from way back and we have in the Bahamas dealt with many so full of bs you can' t even imagine
and the pressure is always on to dislike those that are not PC (politically correct)
Bob is the real thing - yeah everyone loves to hate that - but first impression Mom said hey I LIKE him and I'll second that

to me Bob is a hero - give me another if you think I'm off base - when you have his finds, his life, his background let me know
and I won't worry if your record isn't spotless - there are never any complaints about those who do nothing

Capt Bonnie - Gold Hawg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions