Bob Marx to lecture this week in Melbourne

bikerlawyer

Jan 9, 2008
Melbourne Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MELBOURNE, FLA.—The Florida Institute of Technology Foosaner Art Museum will host a slide lecture presented by undersea explorer Robert Marx, titled “Panama Treasures,” on Nov. 10 at 6:30 p.m. in the museum’s Harris Auditorium. The presentation, which highlights Marx’s adventures in Panama, blends real-life adventure and colorful history with the thrill of discovery. Seats are limited, reservations are required (321) 242-0737. The program is $5 for non-members and free to Florida Institute of Technology faculty, staff, and students with their campus I.D. and free to museum members.

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
Any chance someone could video and share. I would even pay to see a webcast.

Robert

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I met Bob Marx once, he is quite the character with a life time of experience. He ranks right up there with Teddy Tucker.
ZDD

piratediver

Jun 29, 2006
newport, Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Speaking of characters which Bob Marx certainly is, I am reviewing a book by Robert MacKinnon of Nova Scotia entitled
"Treasure Hunter, Diving for Gold on North America's Death Coast."

I had the opportunity to work with MacKinnon on a couple of wrecks in the cold, clear and often stormy waters of Cape Breton and I can vouch for his knowledge and skill. He writes as only someone who has spent most of his life on and under the water could and writes in a no nonsense style which mirrors his personality. He also tells interesting tales of several of Canada's marine archaeologists, which will come as no surprise to anyone who has had to deal with government "experts".

I'll let everyone here know when it is to be released, it will be published by Penguin Press.

Pirate Diver

Panfilo

Feb 20, 2007
Looking forward Pirate Diver to some very fine reading, please let us know when it comes out.
Panfilo

OP
OP
bikerlawyer

bikerlawyer

Jan 9, 2008
Melbourne Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I asked Bob about the video and he told me the museum doesn't allow it.

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bikerlawyer said:
I asked Bob about the video and he told me the museum doesn't allow it.
That's really too bad you can't video, there are not to many guys still around from the glory days of the 50-s and 60-s. Any chance to hear these guys talk is worth the price of admission for sure.
I will be getting Robert's book and Teddy Tucker's as well.
I am sure Robert is pi$$ed because of the new laws that have been pushed through in Nova Scotia that mirror UNESCO's crap.
All permit's with the exception of Oak Is. have been revoked. I can hardly talk about it because it gets my blood boiling.
ZDD

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
piratediver said:
Speaking of characters which Bob Marx certainly is, I am reviewing a book by Robert MacKinnon of Nova Scotia entitled
"Treasure Hunter, Diving for Gold on North America's Death Coast."

I had the opportunity to work with MacKinnon on a couple of wrecks in the cold, clear and often stormy waters of Cape Breton and I can vouch for his knowledge and skill. He writes as only someone who has spent most of his life on and under the water could and writes in a no nonsense style which mirrors his personality. He also tells interesting tales of several of Canada's marine archaeologists, which will come as no surprise to anyone who has had to deal with government "experts".

I'll let everyone here know when it is to be released, it will be published by Penguin Press.

Pirate Diver

Hey, did you know that Rob Marx also spent some time up here in the warm water's of Nova Scotia. He was working on finding the Tilbury.
ZDD

VOC

Apr 11, 2006
Atlantic Ocean
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Sir" Robert Marx once told me to my face that he would kill me... ;)"

Sensible man can’t blame him there LOL ;D

I am sure his "Bark" would always be more than his "Bite".

He like many of us get totally frustrated with the inflexibility, intolerance and flawed ideology of many in the unelected academic underwater archaeological community.

He was a leading figure in Underwater Archaeology for many years (as published by UNESCO) and many have learnt more colonial maritime history from him than they would ever do from the academic world.

Alexandre

Bronze Member
Oct 21, 2009
Lisbon
I disagree. He's a liar, his "research" is full of holes and just happened to be someone who just happened to be at the right place at the right time.

If you wanna come up with a treasure hunter that was all that, you must quote Robert Sténuit.

VOC said:
"Sir" Robert Marx once told me to my face that he would kill me... ;)"

Sensible man can’t blame him there LOL ;D

I am sure his "Bark" would always be more than his "Bite".

He like many of us get totally frustrated with the inflexibility, intolerance and flawed ideology of many in the unelected academic underwater archaeological community.

He was a leading figure in Underwater Archaeology for many years (as published by UNESCO) and many have learnt more colonial maritime history from him than they would ever do from the academic world.

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Alexandre said:
Au_Dreamers said:
Wish I could make it.
I really need to get down to FL and talk to Sir Marx!

"Sir" Robert Marx once told me to my face that we would kill me... ;)
I take it you wont be attending. :laughing7:

cornelis 816

Sep 3, 2010
Alexandre . I agree with you . And I am old enough to know what I am talking about ! In my book Marx is a snake oil sales man . Cornelius

Panfilo

Feb 20, 2007
Not surprising to read some of the comments one comes across in Treasurenet as there are two very different and sadly antagonistic positions in regards to the commercial salvage of treasure around the world. One speaks about a person by how ones dealings with that person developed, certainly so. As Bob Marx is not on this forum to defend himself I don’t think it fair to categorize him in any of those derogatory terms. I for one have known Bob for over 20 years and can only speak good things about him and have only had superb assistance in many, many historical investigations of which he is an authority next to none.
An old Spanish proverb or phrase that my father used to teach us when we were kids says, (pardon the rough translation) “ that which Peter says about Paul says more of Peter than it says of Paul”
Panfilo

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Panfilo said:
An old Spanish proverb or phrase that my father used to teach us when we were kids says, (pardon the rough translation) “ that which Peter says about Paul says more of Peter than it says of Paul”
Panfilo
Here, Here
ZDD

aquanut

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2005
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Over the years I have heard both good things and bad things about Bob Marx. It seems he brings out extreme opinions in some folks. I have to reserve judgement, being that I am, like most, ignorant of all the facts. One thing is clear though. Bob Marx, controversial as he may be, is also a pioneer in both treasure hunting and undersea archaeology. I think, at the very least, he should be remembered for that. Those of you that want to dwell on his bad reputation need to find something more positive to do...
Aquanut

Teredo Navalis

Oct 22, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agree with Aquanut, and sticking to facts. Rumors have abounded concerning Mr. Marx more contemporary activities. Is there proof i am not aware of in these accusations? Without the works or Bob Marx and Mel Fisher, we wouldn't have as many boisterous and scathing exchanges in this forum. Does anyone have a name of a Private Salver who is not partially covered with barnacles?

VOC

Apr 11, 2006
Atlantic Ocean
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In this world there are people who do it and people who talk about it.

Bob Marx is one of the few who has actually gone out there and done it. www.ssssllc.com

Of course in any world when you go out and do it you will upset someone somewhere, so it is not surprising there are few sour grapes ready to slag off the people who have actually gone out there and done it.

I would rather see one Bob Marx in the world than fifty tax paid academic underwater archaeologist !

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread