wreckdiver1715

Bronze Member
May 20, 2004
Satellite Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seahunter, an Aviso is not a specific type of vessel. This is basically a ship that has message running role and typically would be the smallest fastest ship in the fleet.

Tom V

OP
OP
SEAHUNTER

SEAHUNTER

Jan 10, 2006
PALM BEACH COUNTY,FLORIDA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OKAY WRECKDIVER
THEN MY QUESTION WOULD BE: HOW BIG WOULD THE BALLAST PILE BE FOR THE SMALLEST SHIP IN A FLEET GOING FROM THE NEW WORLD TO THE OLD WORLD?

pcolaboy

Sep 5, 2006
Pensacola, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
I'll try and help....while I'm not familiar with the specific dimensions or ballast requirements of a Spanish Aviso vessel, I can give you a size estimate for a ship I'm very familiar with. Regarding a late 18th century english barque that was 148 feet in length, 34' maximum beam, and draft of 13 feet: the ballast pile of this ship is approximately 4 feet high 20 feet wide and 45 feet long.

Hope this helps at least a little bit.

Gig

OP
OP
SEAHUNTER

SEAHUNTER

Jan 10, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PCOLABOY
THANKS FOR THE ANSWER. I AM BAFFLED THAT OUT OF ALL THE MEMBERS YOURS IS THE ONLY ANSWER.
THANKS AGAIN
SEAHUNTER

OP
OP
SEAHUNTER

SEAHUNTER

Jan 10, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cornelius
I guess I have been to vague in my questions. To be more specific I need to know what is the smallest a ballast pile would be and also the biggest a ballast pile might be for a spanish ship sailing in the 1600's.
Seahunter

Chagy

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
In 1605 the Crown of Spaind gave the order to send a group of small and fast vessels to sail with the fleets to maintain communication these were called "Navios de Aviso" they were paid by la Real Hacienda and managed by La Casa de Contratacion........the crew was from 8 to 10 men....
Do A search "Florida Mystery Wreck" they believe its an Aviso Vessel wreck.....there you will find the measurement of the ballast pile and the answer to your question..

All the best,

Chagy.........

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread