Monastery.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 929

RELICDUDE07

Bronze Member
Oct 2, 2007
Pascagoula Ms.
Detector(s) used
minelab exp.
In the Occitan language the word Roque is said Ròca. In a book of Gascon toponymy written by Benedict and Jean-Jacques Fénié it is said that the word Ròca not only designate a rock or a boulder but also a rocky heights fortified or not. Documents of the time written in Gascon call our ancestor de la Roca meanwhile in Latin we speak of Ruppe which mean Rock.My guess is good place to dump rocks & marked on the maps so they can find them if needed for the ships after unloading cargo,for the journey home.

OP
OP
C

Cappy Z.

cornelis 816 said:
Cappy those are reefs or sandbanks sticking out of the water . Cornelius

Thanks Cornelius.

OP
OP
C

Cappy Z.

RELICDUDE07 said:
In the Occitan language the word Roque is said Ròca. In a book of Gascon toponymy written by Benedict and Jean-Jacques Fénié it is said that the word Ròca not only designate a rock or a boulder but also a rocky heights fortified or not. Documents of the time written in Gascon call our ancestor de la Roca meanwhile in Latin we speak of Ruppe which mean Rock.My guess is good place to dump rocks & marked on the maps so they can find them if needed for the ships after unloading cargo,for the journey home.

Maybe ballast intentionally or unintentionally placed...

cornelis 816

Sep 3, 2010
A ballast pile would be closer to the port of unloading . Otherwise travelling to the ballast would be to dangerous . An unballasted ship would be open to turning over in a mild wind . So no use picking up ballast so far out of the coast line . No , I think that it is a warning to ships that there are rocks or banks in that area , They should not sail close to that area . One can see these marks on many a map . They are always used as a reminder of trouble in the area . Cornelius

OP
OP
C

Cappy Z.

cornelis 816 said:
A ballast pile would be closer to the port of unloading . Otherwise travelling to the ballast would be to dangerous . An unballasted ship would be open to turning over in a mild wind . So no use picking up ballast so far out of the coast line . No , I think that it is a warning to ships that there are rocks or banks in that area , They should not sail close to that area . One can see these marks on many a map . They are always used as a reminder of trouble in the area . Cornelius

Thanks Cornelius. Maybe someone has been diving there in the past?

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
OP
OP
C

Cappy Z.

Thanks Mad4wrecks.
I read it.
So, the corrupt Florida and corrupt Federal govt claims jurisdiction for 0-200 miles off the cost.
Said jurisdiction allows them to 'protect' sea grass and deny non-governmental salvages from 'historic' underwater sites. The 4 crosses might in fact indicate an area loaded with treasures. But essentially the area is off limits by Big Brother government. Interesting.

Panfilo

Feb 20, 2007
Cappy Z:
It would appear that in your old map "La Roque" is French for "the rock" as in Spanish its "la roca".
Now if your map said "el San Roque" or even "el Roque" and if it was a bit more south say close to Central America or Serranilla, well that would be a valuable map.
Panfilo

OP
OP
C

Cappy Z.

Panfilo said:
Cappy Z:
It would appear that in your old map "La Roque" is French for "the rock" as in Spanish its "la roca".
Now if your map said "el San Roque" or even "el Roque" and if it was a bit more south say close to Central America or Serranilla, well that would be a valuable map.
Panfilo

lol Like you're leaving it at that! I don't think so. More..more..more.. :occasion18:

Panfilo

Feb 20, 2007
I was refering somewhat sarcastically to the Capitana San Roque, 1605, Luis Fernandez de Cordoba fleet. If you're not very familiar with this galleon I recommend you buy a copy of Claudio Bonifacio's excellent new book.
Panfilo

OP
OP
C

Cappy Z.

Panfilo said:
I was refering somewhat sarcastically to the Capitana San Roque, 1605, Luis Fernandez de Cordoba fleet. If you're not very familiar with this galleon I recommend you buy a copy of Claudio Bonifacio's excellent new book.
Panfilo

:icon_thumleft:

signumops

Feb 28, 2007
U.S.
Detector(s) used
Garrett, Minelab, Aqua-Pulse
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those would be the "Bulls" and/or Hetzel Shoals, southwest of which, Hawkins reported seeing the sunken masts of the Mexican plate fleet (of Juan Menendez) when visiting the French at Jacksonville, circa 1564.

Below is an anonymous map dated 1568 of Spanish origin from the Indies Archives showing similar notation, sans any label.

Attachments

• 1528anon.jpg
    1528anon.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 811
OP
OP
C

Cappy Z.

Thanks signumops,

It appears to me..that the crude map had a name attached to each area at the mouth of a river. It almost appears as if they moved down the coast and stopped at each rivers mouth and probably took a small craft to investigate. Then moved on. Guessing, maybe the rivers allowed for access to fresh water, timber, and food.

signumops

Feb 28, 2007
U.S.
Detector(s) used
Garrett, Minelab, Aqua-Pulse
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually, at that time, most of the maps done by the French and Spanish of the eastern coast of America were drawn with an emphasis on military/naval strategy. They were interested in those points where it would be beneficial to construct outposts capable of handling larger vessels, or where access to the fabled northwest passage might be located. The Spaniards were terrified that there might be a nearby naval establishment that could interrupt the flotas passing offshore. Were it not for that alone, I am sure that St. Augustine would not exist. Menendez took over the Indian village of Seloy as his base, knowing that the French fort to the north was already occuppied. Why he stayed at the location we know as St. Augustine is a mystery to me as the location of Fort Caroline at Jacksonville was probably a much better all-round locale, found on higher ground as necessary, and with a better anchorage. That was also the gateway to the interior of Florida as far as present-day Sanford.

However, the Indians in the vicinity of Jacksonville were already hostile to the Spanish, and there were more Indians in that area than the vicinity of St. Augustine from what I can tell in my investigations to this point.

I am going to publish a re-print of Doug Armstrong's "French Castaways at Old Cape Canaveral" in several weeks. Read that! It's a real eye opener!

OP
OP
C

Cappy Z.

Thanks for the great info signumops,

I would love to read that Doug Armstrong's "French Castaways at Old Cape Canaveral" when you post it.

I've often wondered if you can access old newspapers throughout Florida on microfiche like they used to do in Cleveland at the downtown Library? I'm certain people have found artifacts for years and probably had small write ups in local small town newspapers.

HH

RELICDUDE07

Bronze Member
Oct 2, 2007
Pascagoula Ms.
Detector(s) used
minelab exp.
Re: LDona Roque? on old map

Don't forget they had another Canaveral on the Gulf side in early 16th century, if the wrecks don't show up in that spot!

Attachments

• 3-2-2.jpg
    3-2-2.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 851

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread