Shipwreck Bar & Grille

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Re: Shipwreck Bar & Grille

Scott, if you are up in St Aug. there is a place out toward the beach out past the lighthouse. There is a state park or county park, Anastasias park? and just before that there is a tourist shop, right on the left turn towards the beach, Anastasias and A1A, kind of like the one in Stuart with all kinds of weird nautical stuff. Worth a look if you are up that way. Been a few or more years since I have been in there. Lynn and I are going to Savannah, GA for Christmas weekend, and if we find anything you might like, I will call you. They have a lot of antique shops up there. Steve.

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

The Sea Hagg in Cortez (near Bradenton) is also an incredible treasure trove of nautical artifacts. Amazing selection of authentic shipwreck and nautical equipment and decor.

http://www.seahagg.com

Tom

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

Tom, that is about 10 miles from me, and I will check it out this week. Thanks.

OP
OP
SEAHUNTER

SEAHUNTER

Jan 10, 2006
PALM BEACH COUNTY,FLORIDA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks for all the great tips everyone. I will be checking out all these places.
Bronzecannons, I would like about five of those cannons. Maybe you could PM me with prices and shipping?
Seahunter

bronzecannons

Sep 1, 2005
Oceanside, CA
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

Seahunter said:
Thanks for all the great tips everyone. I will be checking out all these places.
Bronzecannons, I would like about five of those cannons. Maybe you could PM me with prices and shipping?
Seahunter

Roger.. will do.
TW

dustinjuhasz

Jun 7, 2010
Jupiter Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mark 2

I'll put my chest in there! It dates around 1890 from Hungary and has a White Star Line sticker on the side of it.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    56.8 KB · Views: 1,591
OP
OP
SEAHUNTER

SEAHUNTER

Jan 10, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hi Dustin
I really like that chest . Thank you.

Hi Steve
I went to Stuart and checked out the Nautical place. That was great. They have a little bit of everything. Thanks for the help.
Seahunter

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Seahunter said:
We are building a new restaurant and bar in Jupiter. Fl dedicated to shipwrecks. It will be a sports bar with a very nautical theme focusing mostly on shipwrecks and treasure. One wall will be built out as a ship with cannons and a plank protruding from the sides, complete with rigging going up to the sails. Another area wil appear as a stencastle with pirates and a cannon or railgun.
We are looking for more decorations in the way of pirate statues, ships binnacles, ships wheels, portholes, lanterns, treasure chests, cannons, railguns. pictures of shipwrecks or treasure hunters finding treasure. Also large mounted fish.
Also looking for barstools that will fit the setting. Need 50. Could be 30 of one style and 12 - 20 of another. Outside covered bar will seat 30. Inside bar will seat 12 - 20. Can also use 50-60 chairs and tables.

That sounds like a great idea Seahunter, especially for the Florida area. :thumbsup:

theseeker

Mar 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's Surf PI Pro Dual Field/Minelab Sovereign Elite/Goldbug II/Goldbug Pro

Scott, local in West Palm Beach on Dixie Highway is Culpepper and Co. he has everything and I mean everything. Real cannons, Binacles, ship lighting , portholes, old dive helmets, art, netting, old wooden dingies, anything nautical. He brings this stuff in from all over Asia and beyond. Check it out you may find something you can use. Good luck with your bar and grill !!

OP
OP
SEAHUNTER

SEAHUNTER

Jan 10, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hi Seeker
I have been to Culpeppers and you are right, they have it all. Trying not to pay full boat retail for everything. I am sure whatever I don't find by the time we open will be coming from Culpeppers.
Seahunter

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

Scott, I just got back from Savannah last night, great place with a lot of history. Went into a lot of antique shops, even a couple of pirate themed places, and its all tourist type stuff. Nothing you could use. I got a lot of cannon pictures mostly Civil war era of course, and I have already a bunch of Spanish colonial period cannon pics and measurements. I am planning on building a mid Spanish colonial period cannon 1600 to 1700s, most likely 2 different sizes, to be period proper and size/scantling proper. You know the full, even tapered type, slight flare at the muzzle and a certain amount of offset in the trunions. I have already purchased the materials and will start mocking one up this week. I will let you know how that turns out. Then I will make a mold and start making them. I have always wanted to do this, and I do plan to make a few good ones. Maybe a railgun too.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL

Steve, you should have stopped by the Castillo de San Marcos on your way back from Savannah. They have an impressive cannon collection. You could take your measurements from the real thing. One of my favorites at the Castillo is one inscribed in latin with the phrase (paraphrased) " Thunderbolts sent from an angry King." It is a bad-a-ss hunk of bronze.

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

I have been there a few times, spent Christmas in St Augustine 2 years ago. Most are Civil war cannons, and an older British bronze smaller cannon. I took a lot of pics of the cannons when I was there. You are talking about the lineup across the bay side of the fort on the ground right? The fort is a civil war fort, the original Spanish fort was palm logs. I would have loved to look for their dumpsite! When I was little I ran around looking for stuff at the bayside, and in the woods across the street. Just down to the South and across the street, there is a bunch of iron cannons buried in the ground with just 2 feet of the end of the muzzles sticking up for a chain holder that keeps the cars out of the gift shop area.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL

stevemc said:
I have been there a few times, spent Christmas in St Augustine 2 years ago. Most are Civil war cannons, and an older British bronze smaller cannon. I took a lot of pics of the cannons when I was there. You are talking about the lineup across the bay side of the fort on the ground right? The fort is a civil war fort, the original Spanish fort was palm logs. I would have loved to look for their dumpsite! When I was little I ran around looking for stuff at the bayside, and in the woods across the street. Just down to the South and across the street, there is a bunch of iron cannons buried in the ground with just 2 feet of the end of the muzzles sticking up for a chain holder that keeps the cars out of the gift shop area.

You must be confused. The original fort was indeed comprised of wood construction, but the present day Castillo was fortified by the Spanish. The original succumbed to fire. In 1668, Robert Searles sacked St. Augustine. In 1672, Queen Marianna of Spain authorized the construction of a stone fortification.

Their cannon collection is not visible from the outside. They are situated throughout the interior of the Castillo. The bronze cannon have the Spanish Royal Crest. I'll see if I have anny pics. The buried cannon around the parking area have been removed and given to the Fountain of Youth.

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

Oh, I thought it was a civil war fort. It was used as a civil war fort correct? I knew the original was a palm log fort, and I am quite sure it was used as a civil war fort, so maybe that is what confused me. Maybe a docent who wasnt too well trained told me that and it stuck. I had thought it was a Spanish fort, but somewhere along the line someone told me different. Yes the design is much like many Spanish colonial forts, like Havana, San Juan and many others. Thanks for that info. Yes, I didnt go in the last time I was there, when I went inside many years ago, they didnt have much inside. I thought the line of cannons outside was the ones you spoke about. Here is a pic (the only pic I have on this computer from that trip) showing that typical Spanish watchtower.

Attachments

• bunch of stuff from last couple years 011.jpg
    bunch of stuff from last couple years 011.jpg
    648.6 KB · Views: 1,588

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL

Steve, you can see one of the bronze mortars in your picture. It is the only standing bastion fort in North America. It was used during the civil war as a hospital not so much as defense. It was called Fort Marion at the time and during that time, it was used to detain Native Americans.

Below are the pictures of El Milanes (the one from Milan - The one with the angry king inscription):
CastilloSummer_201123Small.jpg

CastilloSummer_201122Small.jpg

CastilloSummer_201121Small.jpg

OP
OP
SEAHUNTER

SEAHUNTER

Jan 10, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hi Diver Down
That is a beautiful cannon. If I am real lucky Steve Will make copies of that. Below are pictures of what some old treasure divers did to a building in a day.

Attachments

• IMG_0628.JPG
    IMG_0628.JPG
    77.3 KB · Views: 1,031
  • IMG_0632.JPG
    IMG_0632.JPG
    78.9 KB · Views: 1,022
  • IMG_0642.JPG
    IMG_0642.JPG
    105.6 KB · Views: 1,180
  • IMG_0646.JPG
    IMG_0646.JPG