Leather shoe preservation???

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recovered a leather shoe that has allot of concreation stuck to it. Does any one have any suggestions on how best to remove the concreation with out further damaging the shoe.
I have soaked it in fresh water for the last 6 months and now would like to preserve it.
Once I have the build up removed and a light cleaning done I plan on several treatments of Neatsfoot oil compound. This method has worked on a couple of leather sword scabbards but they were in better shape then this shoe, it really is in a fragile state. I would also love to hear how others have preserved leather artifacts from the sea. Any suggestions??? :dontknow:
Thanks, ZDD

Attachments

• leather shoe c1870.jpg
    leather shoe c1870.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 445
OP
OP
Zodiacdiverdave

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good one, ;D To be honest it didn't smell the greatest when I brought it up.
This is a 140 year old shoe from a steam ship liner. I will be doing up a display of personal items that I have recovered from this wreck and would like to include this and if I can con the one of my buddy John in to giving up the one he recovered I will have the pair to display or wear.
ZDD

Got Treasure ?

Dec 17, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im sorry but i thought my commet was funny - my work shoes are allways in the garage- please share with us if you find more- Iknow you will - When In Florida come see us

OP
OP
Zodiacdiverdave

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got Treasure ? said:
Im sorry but i thought my commet was funny - my work shoes are allways in the garage- please share with us if you find more- Iknow you will - When In Florida come see us
It was funny and like most I do enjoy a good laugh from time to time. I will post more finds from the wreck which unfortunately must remain nameless for now but I can tell you it is off the coast of Maine.
We will have to wait until the summer to hit the wreck again, the conditions up here in the winter are not the best for open ocean diving. I will however be posting pix of our weekly finds from the Halifax harbour and other coves. We dive here in the winter because the conditions are usually good.
ZDD

OP
OP
Zodiacdiverdave

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread