Wreck of the Savannah

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
I thought this was an interesting side scan and wanted to see if we could come up with some more information. Supposedly it is the wreck of the Savannah, a wooden steamer that sank in 1896 (or '93) and was carrying dry goods. I haven't dove this wreck yet, but it looks pretty hairy. Lots of structure and exposed and open cargo hold.

Does anyone have access to Lloyd's List to see if there was a claim on anything other than cargo?

Check out the boilers and the shadow of the super structure. Its only in about 20-25' of water but the visibility is usually only 5-7'. Probably better on an incoming tide.

Anybody want to dive?

Robert in SC

Attachments

• Wreck-of-the-Savannah.jpg
    Wreck-of-the-Savannah.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 568

Chagy

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Hello Buddy,

I think Pete has access to the Lloyds list......I just got the Chaunu books.

All the best,

Chagy........

riobravo

Apr 2, 2006
south texas to the east coast
hi robert,
thats a great scan, wish i had time to come dive, maybe one day, although if we dont meet soon in fl. ill be coming up the coast this winter, would like to get together for a chat in the least with some of yall on the journey.

OP
OP
rgecy

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
Trying to get back out tomorrow but going to dive another wreck near this one. I am betting the other one is significantly older. Don't have a good scan of it because I filled up my memory card. Just a jumble of mess. I think its covered in shrimp nets.

Robert in SC

Hey guys, trying to get down to FL the weekend of the 22. Maybe coordinate things with Darren's trip down and dive with you guys.

Attachments

• Unknown-Wreck.jpg
    Unknown-Wreck.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 424

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Couldn't find anything in my books or database, Robert. But I came across this well written article about the storm that hit the SC/GA border in August, 1893. This article is found in Scribner's Magazine who writes about the storm and the wreck 6 months later...February 1894...looks like it was cleaned out.

"The storm brought close to its shores the wreck of the City of Savannah. When the passengers and crew were rescued, the Negroes seized upon the stores that had been left, and surely Providence never poured timelier gifts into the laps of the needy. Almost out of reach of relief, many of these Negroes must have perished but for this succor, sent them on the wings of the storm that had stripped them of their small possessions. But the wreck was a bone that was soon picked. Its stores were but a mouthful as compared with the needs of the population."

http://www.victoriana.com/Hurricane/seaislandshurricane-1.html

The wreck is mentioned on page 4

Hope this helps,
Darren

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
AquaPulse AQ1B - AquaPulse DX-200 Magnetometer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Nice scans Robert, that 2nd one looks more interesting to me, be careful in those nets though ;) I hope you guys can make it down to Jupiter for the weekend. It's really starting to look like we'll have a big groups of East coast guys assembled, and may even be blessed with another Texan (Rio Bravo). I'll be arriving on the 20th and staying at least through the 23rd (most likely ONBOARD the Bravo :) ), hope to see you guys there.

Good luck with those wrecks Robert, let us know how the diving goes.

Jason

OP
OP
rgecy

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
Thanks Darren,

That gives me a specific time frame to look. The library here keeps newspaper articles back to about the civil war, so I should be able to find some info.

I find it hard to believe it was completely cleaned out. I am sure some things were left behind or could not be reached in the lower holds. The water here is very seldom clear enough to send down free divers on a wreck like this. Plus more, this ship was huge. We are talking 300+ ft in length.

So we have narrowed it down to August of 1893 and the wreck's name is the City of Savannah. Anyone else got any info? Something from Lloyd's or a manifest would really help! It's off to the library tomorrow!

Thanks,

Robert in SC

barney

Oct 5, 2006
FLORIDA
CITY OF SAVANNAH

RGecy said:
So we have narrowed it down to August of 1893 and the wreck's name is the City of Savannah. Anyone else got any info? Something from Lloyd's or a manifest would really help! It's off to the library tomorrow!

Hi Robert-
Aside from some articles in the NY TIMES documenting the vessel's loss, you can find more information at the maritime museum in Savannah. The vessel is documented in a book about the Savannah Line (Ocean Steamship Company) that you can pick up there, and includes an image of the vessel; the painting is in the collection at the Mariner's Museum in Newport News.
One of her sisterships, the GATE CITY, was lost in shallow water off Moriches Inlet, NY, and divers still recover portholes and other artifacts off her occassionally, so I imagine this wreck is loaded with stuff. Not sure about GA regulations though.
I would be interested in possibly joining you to document the wreck, and possibly write an article on the vessel.
Let me know if I can be of further assistance.
Cheers,
Mike Barnette
Association of Underwater Explorers
http://uwex.us

OP
OP
rgecy

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
Mike,

Thanks for the info. That would be great. You can contact me through my PM or my email listed here. I am anxious to dive this wreck and see the condition she is in. Judging from the scans, she is sitting upright and her structure is starting to collapse.

By the way, welcome to the forum! I look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks again for the info.

Robert in SC

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions