Attachments

• sea robin 7.jpg
    sea robin 7.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 1,862

theseeker

Mar 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's Surf PI Pro Dual Field/Minelab Sovereign Elite/Goldbug II/Goldbug Pro
That is a nice ship. Looks like it will do the job and then some.

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dont see Jessica Alba nearby

signumops

Feb 28, 2007
U.S.
Detector(s) used
Garrett, Minelab, Aqua-Pulse
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh, BTW...

http://freeport.nassauguardian.net/national_local/341879370184022.php

Here's the text....

New law to monitor the salvaging of wrecks in The Bahamas
By Yasmin Popescu

[email protected]

Hearing about pirates of long ago some assume that they no longer exist.

But, The Bahamas recently worked on laws to fight piracy which would mean that we are at possible risk.

And while some feel that the thought of treasure maps and seeking treasures in our waters are as far fetched as the finding of Atlantis, we may find ourselves in for a bit of a shock.

The Bahamas' very history tells of ships that sank off its shores laden with gold and silver headed to the old world, even right off the shores of Grand Bahama.

The only Bahamian Archeologist, Michael Pateman recently spoke to the Rotary Club of Lucaya about the Antiquities Act and its importance to the country, at which time he also told of pirates who have been in our waters attempting to bring up treasure and removing it from the country unnoticed.

Pateman noted that in the past persons would come into the country asking for permission to salvage wrecks, on which they would find many items which would leave the country without anything coming to the country.

The finders would be rewarded handsomely and the treasure would not be traced back to the country.

In an effort to make sure that the country is also rewarded, the Antiquities Act was written and debated in Parliament.

Patemen said that with this document they will be able to monitor the persons who come into the country dive/salvage wrecks.

First they would need a license to do so which will cost $1,000.00.

He said that there is a limit on the number of licenses that would be issued at one time and the persons would have to state where they would be working exactly, and their positions would be monitored.

They would also have to give daily reports on their finds and document all the findings.

He noted that in the present legislation the country would receive 25 percent of all the profits from the recoveries.

With the changes that are going on Pateman said there is room for more archeologists in The Bahamas, and as they also need more scuba divers to assist in monitoring this fast opening field.

At present there is a stop on wrecking until all the necessary items are in place to monitor it better.

Attachments

• MPatemanAtRotary.jpg
    MPatemanAtRotary.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 1,177

bahamamike

Feb 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Wow its amazing when you read articles, how they sometimes completely screw up what was presented. But anyway, such is life. Just so you all know, I am Michael Pateman, and i will be the primary person dealing with Underwater Recovery in The Bahamas. I am posting so that I can answer any questions or clarify rumors etc that have been circulated.

Alexandre

Bronze Member
Oct 21, 2009
Lisbon
bahamamike said:
Wow its amazing when you read articles, how they sometimes completely screw up what was presented. But anyway, such is life. Just so you all know, I am Michael Pateman, and i will be the primary person dealing with Underwater Recovery in The Bahamas. I am posting so that I can answer any questions or clarify rumors etc that have been circulated.

What's your definition of "Underwater Recovery", Michael?

LM

Dec 11, 2007
South
Detector(s) used
Charts and Maps.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
bahamamike said:

Can persons secure licenses prior to having a water-ready salvage operation?

Can you provide us with links (or, email if needed) of the application forms?

Thank you.

bahamamike

Feb 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
mostly shipwreck recovery. But anything to do with Salavage and recovery of underwater cultural heritage.

Alexandre said:
bahamamike said:

What's your definition of "Underwater Recovery", Michael?

bahamamike

Feb 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I can not provide links just yet, as everything is in the final approval process, but will do when they are available.

LSMorgan said:
bahamamike said:

Can persons secure licenses prior to having a water-ready salvage operation?

Can you provide us with links (or, email if needed) of the application forms?

Thank you.

bahamamike

Feb 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
ah thats what you meant. Yes archaeology is important. All people who apply for a licence will be required to have an archaeologist on the team.
Alexandre said:
bahamamike said:
mostly shipwreck recovery. But anything to do with Salavage and recovery of underwater cultural heritage.

So, no archaeology, then. Got it.

Alexandre

Bronze Member
Oct 21, 2009
Lisbon
Then you shouldn't call it a "recovery" operation, Michael.

bahamamike said:
ah thats what you meant. Yes archaeology is important. All people who apply for a licence will be required to have an archaeologist on the team.

theseeker

Mar 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's Surf PI Pro Dual Field/Minelab Sovereign Elite/Goldbug II/Goldbug Pro
Alexandre said:
Then you shouldn't call it a "recovery" operation, Michael.

bahamamike said:
Alexandre, doesn't the requirement to have an archaeologist on these operations satisfy you or are you only thinking of what Spain will not receive from these projects???? Is that why you have an attitude?

Alexandre

Bronze Member
Oct 21, 2009
Lisbon
"recovery" and "archaeology" have diferent meanings: they will make the diference between having a project done on a wreck contested or approved.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread