Satellite Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
By HENRY A. STEPHENS
[email protected]

October 3, 2006

INDIAN RIVER COUNTY — An Orlando company hopes to add a shipwreck to the state's list of treasure sites and bring up booty from the waters off Indian River Shores next summer, if the state will permit its divers to kick up the sand near protected worm-rock reefs.

Historical Research & Development Inc., also known as HRD, hopes to get state clearance to look for a yet-undiscovered shipwreck from the 1715 Spanish Plate Fleet and salvage Spanish Colonial coins and other artifacts, Fort Pierce treasure hunter James "Skip" Huffsmith says.

Huffsmith, a member of HRD's board of directors, filed an application for a water-quality waiver in early September with the state Department of Environmental Protection in Tallahassee.
Divers would use their boats' underwater blowers, which channel water from the propellers, to remove sand from any wreck site, but Huffsmith wrote he doesn't expect that to hurt the nearby reefs built by Sabellariid worms, a protected species.

"The bottom (of the exploration site) consists primarily of coarse shell material deposited in the heavy surf zone," Huffsmith wrote.

This material, he added, tends to drop out of the water, back to the bottom, within 5 to 10 minutes of being kicked up, rather than being suspended for great lengths of time and coating the worm reefs.

If sand kicked up by the treasure hunt does approach any worm rock colonies, however, he said, HRD will stop work and contact state officials.

DEP spokeswoman Sarah Williams said Friday her agency is looking over HRD's application to see if it is complete. If so, she said, DEP could grant a waiver after a 60-day period for public comments. If not, the state will ask the company for more information.

Huffsmith's application includes a 2005 research plan by project archeologist Robert Westrick, who pointed to new artifacts found in recent years in HRD's exploration area.

"Spanish Colonial coins and related artifacts have been found on the beach and beyond the dune line in the immediate vicinity," Westrick wrote.

And since 1992, he added, his company has found the same such material scattered in the area off Indian River Shores it leases from the state.

Now HRD leaders want to find the ship they believe may have held the coins in its hold back in the 18th century. If they do, he indicated, it could be a new find among the other six wrecks already identified, documented and salvaged along the Treasure Coast.

The company wants to identify several "magnetic anomalies" its divers detected in 1996 and 2001, Westrick wrote. These could indicate metal parts of a sailing ship, such as cannon or ballast, and thus point to an undiscovered wreck, he added.

All this is entirely possible, said Taffi Fisher-Abt, daughter of the late treasure salvor Mel Fisher and director of Sabastian's Mel Fisher Museum.

"This is a large ocean," Fisher-Abt said Friday. "Dad once told me there's a shipwreck every 100 yards from Havana, Cuba, to North Carolina. Some are not valuable, some are, some are historical."

She said HRD's site lies between two sites the Fisher organization has been exploring and salvaging for years off the Riomar and Wabasso Beach areas.

The Fishers have leases to 10 wrecks of the 1715 fleet, from Cape Canaveral south to the St. Lucie Nuclear Power Plant. The Fishers and HRD, in fact, are two of nine separate companies seeking to salvage treasure from the Treasure Coast.

Huffsmith said HRD won't even be exploring until early next summer, when the waters offer better visibility, so there is time to work for the state waiver.

For much of the year, in fact, offshore visibility is too poor for the casual diver or snorkeler to spot Spanish treasure. So some arm themselves with metal detectors and "poach" on leased sites, Westrick wrote.

"HRD's presence, while conducting legal activity on the site, should deter at least some of this 'illegal' diving," he added.

HISTORICAL NOTES

• The 1715 Plate Fleet, so named for its cargo of silver ("plata" in Spanish), consisted of 11 galleons sailing from Havana in 1715 north along the Gulf Stream.

• Laden also with jewels and gold, all bound for the Spanish royal treasury to pay merchants' taxes, the ships ran into a hurricane along Florida's east coast and wrecked.

• And they spilled the booty that gave the Treasure Coast its name.

• Since the 1950s, treasure hunters have discovered four wrecks from the 1715 fleet off Indian River County, two off St. Lucie County and possibly one off Martin County.

• No one is sure where the rest of the fleet and its treasure rests.

http://www1.tcpalm.com/tcp/local_news/article/0,2545,TCP_16736_5037497,00.html

Attachments

• 03xsalvage-5237_o.jpg
    03xsalvage-5237_o.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 12,604

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
The company wants to identify several "magnetic anomalies" its divers detected in 1996 and 2001, Westrick wrote. These could indicate metal parts of a sailing ship, such as cannon or ballast, and thus point to an undiscovered wreck, he added.

Gee, I never knew that ballast rock was magnetic.

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
That's right Cornelius. I know they also used old cannons for ballast but we suspect the ship is from the 1715 fleet and I never heard they used pig iron or cannons as ballast. I think it's just a slip of the author.

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I was only able to work that site for six days this past summer (visual surveys only).

I relocated the galleon anchor coordinates in 36' of water about 3/4 of a mile offshore and buoyed it. Then I buoyed the cannon we found nearly onshore in 8' of water. I worked a straight line at several depths, 28' 22' 14' looking for the ballast pile. No luck. It's there somewhere. It's a big area.

Some great artifacts have come off this site and the adjacent beach in the last 20 years. I am convinced a 1715 ship is there. That why I work for HRD for free I guess-hoping for a payoff later on.

:-\

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
Riobravo is right! A magnetometer will detect changes in the earths magnetic field, not just ferous metals. A concentration of balast can cause a shift in the magnetic field that will be large enough to register as a hit on the mag. A mag can even be used to detect old ditches or trenches that have been covered over. The surrounding undisturbed soil with have a different magnetic reading than the newer filled soil. Although the difference is slight, tight survey lines and good software mapping of the readings will show these areas clearly. Most surveys that look for annomolies like this are performed with a Fluxgate Mag, usually in a garadiometer setup.

Robert in SC

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tom,
there are other ways to find the ballast pile.one is from the air shooting IR color film,if the stones are exposed an if anything is growing on them thats alive,useing many different colored IR filters it will show up.for my oceanography degree at the university of hawaii we surveyed all the reefs on the windward side of oahu useing IR color film,shot from 1-2 miles high.you would be surprised at what you can see thats alive and dead and manmade on reefs and surrounding areas of sand.Its nice to see that we(HRD) are back in the news.i work for free too!

PhipsFolly

Sep 30, 2005
Treasure Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign Elite & Sovereign XS, Minelab Equinox 800 and Aquapulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Fisheye... does the IR stand for infrared? Where does one go to get IR color film? Phips

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IR = infrared.kodak makes black an white infrared film as well as color slide infrared film.most likely you will have to special order it from your local pro photography store,like ritz or colonial photo an hobby downtown orlando.or you can call kodak an possibly order it from them,but you may have to buy in bulk,like a brick of 20 36 exposure rolls.as far as processing goes.its professional ektachrome slide film,so you can even buy the E-6 kit to do it yourself or a local lab,theres several in orlando.i just buy a kit that does 6 rolls an do it myself.i used to work for kodak in thier C-41 and kodachrome labs.just make sure your temps are right on,it does have a leeway of a few degrees.

heres some info an examples about IR film.

http://www.rockymountainfilm.com/infraredpr.htm

http://www.vividlight.com/articles/3113.htm

PhipsFolly

Sep 30, 2005
Treasure Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign Elite & Sovereign XS, Minelab Equinox 800 and Aquapulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Fisheye... thanks much for the info... appreciate it! Phips

Albert Osborn

Dec 6, 2004
Has anyone read the exploits of Ron Cameron
in locating ships? I can do the same thing. I
know where a ship from the 1715 fleet is
located. If I had the names of the ships in
this fleet, I could tell which one this is.

[email protected]

OP
OP
wreckdiver1715

wreckdiver1715

Bronze Member
May 20, 2004
Satellite Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ships of the 1715 Fleet

Nuestra Senora de la Regla, aka Cabin Wreck
Urca de Lima aka Santissima Trinidad aka Wedge Wreck
Nuestra Senora de las Nieves aka Colored Beach Wreck
Santo Cristo de San Roman aka Corrigan's Wreck
Nuestra Senora del Carmen aka Rio Mar Wreck
Nuestra Senora del Rosario aka Sandy Point Wreck

Maria Galante - Missing
Nuestra Senora de la Concepcion ?Missing, she reportedly wend down on the South side of Cape Canaveral
El Senor San Miguel - Missing
La Olandesa aka San Miguel ? Missing, probably between Rio Mar and Sandy Point
El Cievro aka La Galleria - Missing

OK Albert...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread