Atocha possibility....

bobinsd

Oct 20, 2005
San Diego California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just purchased a book "Treasure Anthology" by E.S. "Rocky"LeGaye, pub 1973 which I cannot put down. In reference to the 1643 Plate fleet which went down north of the DR, it was common at that time to replace ballast with gold or silver ore of equal weight, since there was not enough space for the treasure.
My question (to Shawn or Kim or Grant at Mel Fisher's) is "Have you looked closely, meaning under, the ballast rock piles that may have been found?" Maybe the stern castle loot is under some rocks!

BobinSD
(prev. investor)

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
AquaPulse AQ1B - AquaPulse DX-200 Magnetometer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Hi Bob, I'm no expert yet, but i can tell you that 100 different books will have 100 different tales of how something happened...the only truth is that NONE of the authors were there, and ALL of them are pretty much speculating (you could call most of them an educated guess, but still a guess).

As for the Fisher group, they have searched under every ballast pile found from the seafloor to the muddy hard bottom 8-12 feet under the sand. They truly do leave "no stone unturned", the missing stern castle is a large portion of the wooden ship that could have drifted around for days and is more likely to be found many miles from the ballast pile.

Jason

Donovan

Jun 10, 2005
Bob,
I was there for part of the first move and was recently informed of the second move. Most of the photos in the Fisher museum are mine.
Donovan

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread