The Encyclopedia of Side-Scan and Scanning Sonar Operations

Alexandre

Bronze Member
Oct 21, 2009
Lisbon
A must-buy, if you're serious about it:

"Almost anything underwater – from a diamond ring to a shipwreck – can be located and imaged. The technology exists.

A target of interest can be located if the right equipment combination is used, if personnel on the project have the right skill sets and know the correct search methods, if the program is supported by time and funding, and if they are searching the right area.

The last point is very important; it is difficult to find a target that is not there!

Echoes and Images, The Encyclopedia of Side-Scan and Scanning Sonar Operations is the how-to guide for side-scan and scanning sonar operations. At its finish, you will know what these instruments are capable of locating and imaging – and what cannot be resolved by this equipment.

The text is divided into application-specific chapters detailing how to best approach and complete underwater search, survey and visualization programs. It demonstrates, step-by-step, how to produce the best possible side-scan and scanning sonar data that conditions allow.

This book covers the seven major contributors which define success or failure in side-scan and scanning sonar programs.

1. Equipment design
2. System settings
3.System deployment
4.Acoustic geometry
5.Operator experience
6.Data interpretation
7.Acoustic limitations

Supporting the text are 315 drawings – each focused at showing the reader how to interpret the data, deploy the equipment, ensure the search or survey area has been covered, and how to prosecute a target.

Acoustic mathematics is explained in easy to understand terms. Concepts of transducer and system design are likewise presented so that the user is able to comprehend how they affect resolution, accuracy, and more importantly, target detection.

Interspersed in the chapters are Author’s Notes and Tricks of the Trade. These provide actual case histories, sidebar information and invaluable pointers on how to get the job done, and done right!

Echoes and Images, The Encyclopedia of Side-scan and Scanning Sonar Operations is written by a sonar operator for a sonar operator – and everyone using the data from these two systems, or interested in locating something underwater".

http://echoesandimages.com/

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Alexandre if you buy this book, can I borrow it?

aquanut

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2005
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Pete,
I don't think he wants to lend it out, and us being treasure hunters can't afford, so we'll just have to pirate it!

OP
OP
Alexandre

Alexandre

Bronze Member
Oct 21, 2009
Lisbon
aquanut said:
Pete,
I don't think he wants to lend it out, and us being treasure hunters can't afford, so we'll just have to pirate it!

If, by buying a book, I can avoid mistakes or streamline and operationin such a way that it will save me major bucks... I would call it an investment.. ;)

Denniss

Jan 7, 2011
Fort Pierce, FL
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Fisher Impulse, Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
aquanut said:
Pete,

That's definitely an ouch price if you don't have an agency paying for it, Vince has some nice CDs for interpretation of SS

http://www.blacklaserlearning.com/

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread