Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
AquaPulse AQ1B - AquaPulse DX-200 Magnetometer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
VOC said:
Funny that you got the identical view of 99% of current academic archaeologist !

Actually, in my experience it's more like 20% of academic archaeologists who hold these views. Most of them that I know are quite reasonable....at least behind closed doors. The problem is that they can't express their views publicly or that same 20% would crucify them and their career would likely be over. A sad existence if you ask me, most of the nautical archaeologists that I know just want to get in the water and study a shipwreck. They don't care where the money comes from, or where 20,000 of the 30,000 silver coins went. Most understand that hey, we got all of the data, we got all of the unique artifacts, and we got ten thousand coins....all for nothing!

Is it really that hard to understand?

Jason

Alexandre

Bronze Member
Oct 21, 2009
Lisbon
ScubaFinder said:
They don't care where the money comes from, or where 20,000 of the 30,000 silver coins went. Most understand that hey, we got all of the data, we got all of the unique artifacts, and we got ten thousand coins....all for nothing!

Is it really that hard to understand?

Jason

There ain't no such thing as a free lunch, Jason...

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
AquaPulse AQ1B - AquaPulse DX-200 Magnetometer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
No there isn't, your lunch comes out of your tax payers pockets against their will.....mine comes from my investors pockets with a smile.

Alexandre

Bronze Member
Oct 21, 2009
Lisbon
ScubaFinder said:
No there isn't, your lunch comes out of your tax payers pockets against their will.....mine comes from my investors pockets with a smile.

Again, you're wrong. My lunch comes out of my work, paid by a privately held company, in a business not related to archaeology.

I do my archaeology on my free, own time. Heck, I pay to do archaeology.

Vox veritas

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
trinidad said:
Wow! Free at last! You´ve been brave Filipe. I have not your courage and I rather keep my identity safe. But it´s nice to hear a reputated archaeologist recognise the value of Greg Stemm and how he´s dealing these times of changing, with its shadows included. I´m sure that, sooner or later, OME will get some kind of agreement with Spain. Too sad they didnt in the past and all this issue about the Black Swan became a legal monster. The money is in contracts with Govs. and not is selling coins. Time will show.
Ossy, you say "They did talk to the Spanish officials, who clearly denied OME any rights to salvage any Spanish wrecks ! THEY SAID NO !!". Well, it would be clarifying to know why the same official that said no to OME were raising at that time an operation of recovery over "La Mercedes" on the portuguese shore (really close to the coast) with a spanish treasure hunter (in the worst side of the term) that not even in dreams had the team, equipment and knowledge that OME had at that time. But this spanish treasure hunter stuffed the desk of this official with gifts that couldnt go through a door (literaly). It made the difference. Disgusting. And more disgusting to hear that high official speaking about piracy and things like that when he talk about OME and hiding his close friendship with this man and the plans in Portugal.

The high officer was charged and was not admitted any guilt.
Neither showed any guilt of bribery. So?
While this was happening, the Odyssey Explorer was round and round through the Straits of Gibraltar Spanish territorial waters without legal authorization. Strange but true. In all this there is abundant and irrefutable documentation.
Cheers

jeff k

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2006
Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: This IMO is a very accurate read on the Odyssey Business model

Anyone interested in the real facts should read this court document. Scroll down to the time line under Exhibit E. There is also a Spanish version further down.

http://docs.justia.com/cases/federa...e/8:2006cv01685/186117/35/2.pdf?ts=1186504600

P.S. I followed Odyssey's ships on AIS Live while they worked off Spain from 2006 until they left the area in 2007. They never worked inside Spain's territorial waters during that time, and always turned around at the 12nm line while doing survey work.

Vox veritas

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Jeff K said:
Anyone interested in the real facts should read this court document. Scroll down to the time line under Exhibit E. There is also a Spanish version further down.

http://docs.justia.com/cases/federa...e/8:2006cv01685/186117/35/2.pdf?ts=1186504600

P.S. I followed Odyssey's ships on AIS Live while they worked off Spain from 2006 until they left the area in 2007. They never worked inside Spain's territorial waters during that time, and always turned around at the 12nm line while doing survey work.

From the Spanish Navy:
http://translate.google.com/transla...elt.es/noticiasmdb/HOME2_noticias.asp?id=3508

MORE AND BEYOND OSSY

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2008
BRISBANE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Vox veritas said:
Jeff K said:

From the Spanish Navy:
http://translate.google.com/transla...elt.es/noticiasmdb/HOME2_noticias.asp?id=3508
The truths are coming out Claudio, Interesting to find out that they are hiding more coins and artifacts out in Gibraltar with their Pirate
cousins :icon_pirat:
Ossy

VOC

Apr 11, 2006
Atlantic Ocean
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"The spoliation of 17 tons of gold and silver valued at 370 million euros, carried out by the ship Odyssey Explorer in Gibraltar waters"

The Spanish Navy must be good with their intelligence and survelance if they thought that the Mercedes coins came from Gibraltar waters !

No wonder the British hold onto Gibraltar, NATO could not leave monitoring the Straits to Spain

MORE AND BEYOND OSSY

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2008
BRISBANE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
VOC said:
"The spoliation of 17 tons of gold and silver valued at 370 million euros, carried out by the ship Odyssey Explorer in Gibraltar waters"

The Spanish Navy must be good with their intelligence and survelance if they thought that the Mercedes coins came from Gibraltar waters !

No wonder the British hold onto Gibraltar, NATO could not leave monitoring the Straits to Spain
Misprint, should be Spanish waters, Gibraltar only has a wharf :wink:
VOC why don't you have the English flag on your sign in :dontknow:
Ossy

VOC

Apr 11, 2006
Atlantic Ocean
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Misprint, should be Spanish waters"

That’s getting even worse, the coins did not even come from Spanish waters !

So much for their sophisticated monitoring systems they talk about.

No wonder Spain does not go in for deep wreck exploration, they are never really sure if they are in Gibraltar waters or Spanish waters, when in fact the wreck with the Treasure on was actually in International waters off of Portugal in the Atlantic and not in the Mediterranean at all.

No English flag option so I have put up the Gibraltar Flag as we own that lump of rock as well.

Alexandre

Bronze Member
Oct 21, 2009
Lisbon
VOC said:
Maybe Alexandre posting on here is a cry for help, and he really wants to be rescued from the company he keeps !

Anyone up for being his savour and offering him a real job, with some real underwater archaeology to do ?

LOL. As someone I know from the archaeological community uses to say, I do admire treasure hunters and I do think of them like the those friends that you have with different religious beliefs... ;)

VOC

Apr 11, 2006
Atlantic Ocean
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Alexandre, it took you a while to read that one, keep up lad your slipping back a bit ;D

MORE AND BEYOND OSSY

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2008
BRISBANE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
VOC said:
Alexandre, it took you a while to read that one, keep up lad your slipping back a bit ;D
VOC, Drake :D couldn't you find a picture of the Joly Roger :laughing7:
They got the statue wrong, He should have a chest of Spanish silver and not the Globe ;D

VOC

Apr 11, 2006
Atlantic Ocean
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"He should have a chest of Spanish silver and not the Globe"

The globe is due to his circumnavigation of the world that was a pretty good feat was in those days.

He was also very good at getting a bit of treasure off of the Spanish thieves who were robbing Central and South America, so we don’t feel too bad about that either, and our courts did not stitch him up like the courts in the USA have done with Odyssey.

When he came home with 500,000 silver coins, we gave him a Knighthood!.

Drake was a great seaman and privateer, but he also a good Businessman like making a few pounds building a fresh water leat into Plymouth ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drake's_Leat ).

He used to put the fear of Christ, into the Spanish when he and his mates rucked up, so he was definitely up for a bit of a crack chasing them around the Atlantic.

We actually like the Spanish (we have thousands of Brits living in Southern Spain now), and we only treated this piracy as a bit of sport, as they did not have Football (Soccer) to play against each other in them days ;D

MORE AND BEYOND OSSY

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2008
BRISBANE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
VOC said:
"He should have a chest of Spanish silver and not the Globe"

The globe is due to his circumnavigation of the world that was a pretty good feat was in those days.

He was also very good at getting a bit of treasure off of the Spanish thieves who were robbing Central and South America, so we don’t feel too bad about that either, and our courts did not stitch him up like the courts in the USA have done with Odyssey.

When he came home with 500,000 silver coins, we gave him a Knighthood!.

Drake was a great seaman and privateer, but he also a good Businessman like making a few pounds building a fresh water leat into Plymouth ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drake's_Leat ).

He used to put the fear of Christ, into the Spanish when he and his mates rucked up, so he was definitely up for a bit of a crack chasing them around the Atlantic.

We actually like the Spanish (we have thousands of Brits living in Southern Spain now), and we only treated this piracy as a bit of sport, as they did not have Football (Soccer) to play against each other in them days ;D
VOC my English team is QPR, Stan Bowels was my hero.
Ossy

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
You know what I see...I see more and more Archaeologist realizing that OME does good work! And they are scared! "The people" are tired of the idealistic BS from a few people who sit behind a desk and try to tell them how their opinion is the only opinion. And the governments are realizing that they don’t have the money to support it. I think Filipe sees this and knows it is slowly starting to shift!

And this idealistic view of they stole our cultural heritage crap makes me want to puke. Here is an idea...I think every archaeologist, every government and every person should just go ahead return any item that has EVER been found or excavated back to the country of its origin. I mean it’s already starting to happen anyway! But I hope you don't forget where these coins that OME has brought up really came from. I mean, according to the idealistic views you have taken, it is really not YOUR cultural heritage, but the cultural heritage of the people of central and south America. I think it would only be fitting that Spain return these coins to the descendants of the people that they enslaved and killed to get the gold and silver used to make the coins.

The day Spain does this is the day I will forever change my opinion that they are nothing more than a corrupt, greedy nation who has plundered the worlds resources for centuries.

And don't get me wrong, our government is no better! Aside from this meaningless quibble over some coins found on the ocean floor, the world as we know it is in much worse shape as a whole. I hate to sound like one of those anti-government crusaders, but corruption is rampant in our world. The rich get richer and the poor get poorer!

Now I remember now why I have stayed away from here for so long!

Hello to all my friends. I hope you are doing well!

Robert

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread