NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
Alexandre said:
ScubaFinder said:
This is childish Alexandre...can I not post anymore without you following it up with your ridiculous nonsense?

My point was that THIS PARTICULAR field school would in FACT not have taken place without NCR's help.

You are a broken record with no original thought in your head. This is the last response you will incite out of me. :tard:

Jason, I know you said that but then you expanded saying: "no doubt there will be a lot of treasure hunting boats surveying and finding wrecks that have no instrinsic value, which means there will be a never ending supply of field school locations", a generalization with which I disagreed and said so.

So, if you really think that making a conversation over rational arguments is childish and sounds like a broken record, then fret no more - its about time I stop "losing" time with this board.

So, you win.
As an outsider who only wishes he could live the life of some of the "treasure hunters" who have the knowlege and ability to dive on centuries old shipwrecks all I can say is good riddance. I have watched for quite some time the argumentative & confrontational nature of this particular character & often wondered why he is even hanging around on a "treasure hunting" website. I seriously doubt that more than a handful of people here will miss you. :hello2:

bahamamike

Feb 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Dell Winders said:
Conservation has to be a major consideration in any business plan, for the Bahamas. I am happy that only 5 permits have been issued because I am concerned that even Shipwreck salvage may be destructive to sensitive areas.

Of course, Archeology itself, is a destructive science. I see the proposed shipwreck archeology in the Bahamas as a salvage archeology, which is good. But, I would like to help develop, and employ methods to isolate the precious metals crucial to the economy, from the rest of the wreckage and surgically extract just the Treasure, minimizing damage and leaving the remains of cultural artifacts in place for further archaeological study. Dell

Dell this may make you even happier. All who submit an application to recover from a shipwreck environment has to submit an environmental plan. Environemental considerations will be taken into account, and advice from the Ministry of the Environment will be sought before Licences are issued.

But of course we understand that underwater recovery has some environmental impact.

OP
OP
O

Oceanscience

May 23, 2010
Dell Winders said:
Were you searching for the 1552 Portuguese galleon San Antón do Brasil, alias El Dorado? Dell

We were searching for the ship that belonged to the anchors. The San Anton is the only one that fits the date, mentioned in Chaunu, but there are other sources too.

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
AquaPulse AQ1B - AquaPulse DX-200 Magnetometer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I believe the Marine Biologist who worked with us in the Dominican Republic is now residing in the Bahamas. She (Cathy Mattison) has a great understanding of the impacts of underwater excavation, and did some great bathymetry for us and the Dominican Government. I will see if I can track her down, she would likely volunteer some time to help make sure things are on the right track, and has helped treasure hunters before too.

Jason

Alexandre

Bronze Member
Oct 21, 2009
Lisbon
Oceanscience said:
In the environment of shipwrecks, wreckers lore, pirates and colorful historic past, there is a considerable amount of romantic feeling involved.

There's some archaeology (sort of) done on piracy:

Russell K. Skowronek, Charles R. Ewen, eds. "X Marks the Spot: The Archaeology of Piracy". Gainesville: University Press of Florida, 2006.

My friend Patrick Lizé has a chapter written on it, regarding his finding of the "Speaker", wrecked at Mauritius in 1702, under the command of a Bermudan, captain Bowen.

http://www.h-net.org/reviews/showrev.php?id=12105

Attachments

• 51J5Y2G69ML__SS500_.jpg
    51J5Y2G69ML__SS500_.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 393

bahamamike

Feb 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
ScubaFinder said:
I believe the Marine Biologist who worked with us in the Dominican Republic is now residing in the Bahamas. She (Cathy Mattison) has a great understanding of the impacts of underwater excavation, and did some great bathymetry for us and the Dominican Government. I will see if I can track her down, she would likely volunteer some time to help make sure things are on the right track, and has helped treasure hunters before too.

Jason

That would be amazing. Please give her my contact information if she is interested.

Mike

OP
OP
O

Oceanscience

May 23, 2010
Alexandre said:
Oceanscience said:
In the environment of shipwrecks, wreckers lore, pirates and colorful historic past, there is a considerable amount of romantic feeling involved.

There's some archaeology (sort of) done on piracy:

Russell K. Skowronek, Charles R. Ewen, eds. "X Marks the Spot: The Archaeology of Piracy". Gainesville: University Press of Florida, 2006.

My friend Patrick Lizé has a chapter written on it, regarding his finding of the "Speaker", wrecked at Mauritius in 1702, under the command of a Bermudan, captain Bowen.

http://www.h-net.org/reviews/showrev.php?id=12105

Thanks for the link, Alexandre.

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark....Aqua pulse 1B....Equinox ll
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
ScubaFinder said:
You should be honored Dell, way to go!

OS - Great information, keep it coming. We need to figure a way to FUND the theme park idea. That is going to take some serious bucks, and your average treasure investor likely wont cut it. I still think we need Hollywood, or Disney, or someone similar to take the reigns with us helping. How about getting all the treasure movie stars together, Johnny Depp, Matthew McConnahay, Jessica Alba, etc. lol Seriously, who has the kind of money you'd need to build the thing, Trump? The rest is easy once you have a capable backer. Thoughts?

Enlisting some of the names you mention from Hollywood certainly would be the way to go as I know JD loves his island and he has not changed it a bit since he bought it which is to his credit so he would be the first person I would hint that a legacy of an archeological pirate treasure trade school would be nice I know he would love that.

WRECKING

May 11, 2021
Switzerland
Detector(s) used
Custom
Primary Interest:
Other
Although there are thousands of shipwrecks in less than 50 feet of water, in the Bahamas, most of these shipwrecks have little of value that could be sold.

These shipwrecks still should be located and identified.

How can the exploration of these shipwrecks be financed?

Could an educational aspect be combined with an entertainment aspect?

Would an archaeological field school be a solution? Courses for divers with a keen interest in shipwrecks?

On the land side, for the non divers, courses in conservation, preservation and curating of the artifacts?

Would people go and spend a vacation in the Bahamas, to participate in such events?
In the UK, thousands of divers are interested in taking part of such opportunities in the cold and murky waters of the UK. Would they be interested in doing the same in the crystal clear, warm waters of the Bahamas?

How could an umbrella enterprise that organizes such events be structured financially?

Can we find a business model that is economically feasible for exploring the shipwrecks of the Bahamas?

Has there been any development on this subject?

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
A young lady on Long Island just defended her Archeology Masters thesis successfully on this very subject

Last edited:

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Not much but we do have Deans Blue hole here, 202 metres deep (663 ft)

09C8F36C-EA97-415A-8119-1AF1C7AC61BE.jpeg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions