Bahamas Information

OP
OP
B

bahamamike

Feb 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
A certain Florida salvage company has been working with the Bahamian govt on the new legislation, but the elections have slowed things down.

The legislation is already debated, passed and signed into law. I don't know where you got your information from but you have been misinformed.

jeff k

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2006
Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The legislation is already debated, passed and signed into law. I don't know where you got your information from but you have been misinformed.

I was referring to the issuance of leases, not the legislation.

Hubster

Greenie
Feb 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was told by one permit applicant that they are supposed to hear something June 6th.

Dell Winders

Jan 18, 2012
Haines City, FL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mike, thank you for keeping us informed. It is really appreciated. I have my psychic calender marked for June 7th for the next update. Dell

OP
OP
B

bahamamike

Feb 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
LMAO, I don't know where the June 6th date has come from. But if I don't know anything by June 5th, will be in Jamaica for 10 days for a UNESCO world heritage convention meeting, so my update would come after that. It is possible an annoucement comes out, cause I have made the recommendations and written the cabinet paper, so who knows.

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
AquaPulse AQ1B - AquaPulse DX-200 Magnetometer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Interesting. Now we have dates out there, lots of info flying around. I've even been told that I would be awarded a lease for a nice area, problem is it wasn't even the area I applied for. LOL I've been quiet on the issue for many reasons, if you hear me it's because I'm chuckling too loud at the rumor mill.

I expect two things: 1) A lot of top quality exploration and recover happening soon. 2) LOTS of surprises...

Last edited:

Dell Winders

Jan 18, 2012
Haines City, FL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting. Now we have dates out there, lots of info flying around. I've even been told that I would be awarded a lease for a nice area, problem is it wasn't even the area I applied for. LOL I've been quiet on the issue for many reasons, if you hear me it's because I'm chuckling too loud at the rumor mill.

I expect two things: 1) A lot of top quality exploration and recover happening soon. 2) LOTS of surprises...

Jason, I am sorry to hear that you are laughing at our curiosity, and ignorance. Since you appear to have insider knowledge, I would have expected you to to be more considerate and respectful of others interests.

I sincerely wish you every success. Dell

Last edited:

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Dell, sorry you took my message that way. I don't have any insider info, and niether does anyone else....but that doesn't stop word from spreading about many things. I've been told so many different things, it has indeed become funny to me. You didn't tell me any of these things, so there is no reason for you to take offense to my comment. It wasn't directed at you or anyone in particular, just the shear amount of different rumors that are circulating when we all know the same thing....we'll get them when we get them.

OP
OP
B

bahamamike

Feb 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Jason, it just baffles me the information I hear floating out there some of which was claimed that I said. But, once again, once I have official word, I will let everyone know. I spoke the the Minister responsible this morning, so I expect to be able to pass on more information soon.

Mike

Dell Winders

Jan 18, 2012
Haines City, FL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BahamaMike, I think I read that the Hon. Jerome Fitzgerald, was named minister of Bahamas Musuem & Antiquities? Is he your new Boss, and is he the Minister that will give final approval for the Search & Salvage leases? Just curious. Dell

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Just curious Mike, does anyone at Unesco know of the upcoming operations in the Bahamas, and if so how is it being received? I would hope there would be enough common sense on a panel like that to understand the pressures, see the benefits, and tolerate the one consession on artifact distribution. I'm certainly curious to know their reaction, if for nothing else just to have a feel for where things stand on the two communities working together.

On a personal note, thank you for being bold enough to meet the treasure hunting community on common ground and work through our differences openly and honestly. Wherever things go from here, I think you have made a huge step in the right direction.

Jason

OP
OP
B

bahamamike

Feb 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
BahamaMike, I think I read that the Hon. Jerome Fitzgerald, was named minister of Bahamas Musuem & Antiquities? Is he your new Boss, and is he the Minister that will give final approval for the Search & Salvage leases? Just curious. Dell
Dell this is where I am confused. You are correct, Jerome Fitzgerald is the Minister responsibilities for AMMC. But Wrecks have been put under Ministry of Finance, and Michael Halkitis. So I am not sure how I will be reporting. I spoke to Halkitis on Wednesday, and will try to reach him on Monday, and at that point I should have some further info to pass

Dell Winders

Jan 18, 2012
Haines City, FL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mike, thank you for satisfying an old man's curiosity.

This rare ship's rudder post found off S. Bimini, is now at the Lowe Musuem, on Green Turtle Cay. I understand they have newly painted the museum basement to display Bahamas shipwrecks, and are hopeful of obtaining permission to collect shipwreck artifacts from the waters locally to display in the museum? Preservation tanks are ready to be set up in the event that is possible? Dell

GALLEON RUDDER POST.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

bahamamike

Feb 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Just curious Mike, does anyone at Unesco know of the upcoming operations in the Bahamas, and if so how is it being received? I would hope there would be enough common sense on a panel like that to understand the pressures, see the benefits, and tolerate the one consession on artifact distribution. I'm certainly curious to know their reaction, if for nothing else just to have a feel for where things stand on the two communities working together.

On a personal note, thank you for being bold enough to meet the treasure hunting community on common ground and work through our differences openly and honestly. Wherever things go from here, I think you have made a huge step in the right direction.

Jason

Just saw this, Yes UNESCO and Spain know and they are not happy about it.

whydahdiver

Apr 2, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mike: you and the rest of the Bahamas' leadership should be very proud of yourselves for daring to push back against UNESCO and Spain. The result will be an economic and cultural bonanza for your beautiful country. I look forward to meeting you soon.

WHYDAH Diver

Baba awarded

Jul 17, 2012
Bahamas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From what I have heard it was passed by the Bahamas Govt in the house but has yet been gazetted. I am a Bahamian applying for a lease. My family had been in treasure hunting back in the day.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread