Alexandre

Bronze Member
Oct 21, 2009
Lisbon
The Star, wednesday February 22, 2012

Woman finds ancient artifact in baby shark

by R.S.N. MURALI
[email protected]

MALACCA: A baby shark being prepared for lunch gave a family here a big surprise - an ancient artifact believed to be dated long before the Portuguese conquest of Malacca.

Housewife Suseela Menon, from Klebang, made the priceless discovery while filleting the fish for lunch.

It is believed to be a medallion worn by the Portuguese soldiers, presumably as a divine protection, during their conquests in this part of the world in the 16th century.

One side of the medallion is a profile of a woman's head with a crown and encircled by a halo and an inscription that is unclear.

The other side is a crucifix with an engraved inscription that read ANTONII.

Checks with a local historian revealed the head engraving could be that of Queen Elizabeth, the consort of King Denis I of Portugal during his reign from 1271 to 1336.

Suseela said she immediately cleaned the medallion and preserved it in a box.

“I bought two sharks from the wet market and was taken aback upon discovering the object inside the stomach of one of the fishes,” said the 47-year-old mother-of-two at her home yesterday.

Suseela had wanted to prepare shark curry for her husband.

“Finally, my husband decided not to eat the fish as the object seems to be a religious item,” she said.

The medallion is 7.4cm long, 6cm wide and weighs 10g.

“My husband feels it is a blessing for the family to have the medallion coming to our home from beneath the sea. We will always cherish it,” said Suseela.

http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2012/2/22/nation/10773938&sec=nation

Attachments

• n_12susee.jpg
    n_12susee.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 1,052

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Very neat read! Thanks for posting!

VOC

Apr 11, 2006
Atlantic Ocean
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats funny, I find gold and silver treasure in loads of fish I catch, or that will be my story from now on ;D

cornelis 816

Sep 3, 2010
Another strange story from Alexandre . In Indonesia they would say : Pertyaya atau tida : Cornelius

OP
OP
Alexandre

Alexandre

Bronze Member
Oct 21, 2009
Lisbon
cornelis 816 said:
Another strange story from Alexandre . In Indonesia they would say : Pertyaya atau tida : Cornelius

You meant "percaya atau tidak", did you not Cornelius? Although Malacca is in Malasya and not in Indonesia, if I am not mistaken the bahasa language there is almost the same. Curiously, with some words borrowed from the Portuguese. ;)

Anyhow, I will believe it... the shark part. Maybe.

As a matter of fact, the local "expert" got it all wrong. Judging from the photo, its a medal of Our Lady of the Conception (the moon, the crown and the halo of stars are all tell tale signs) and its most probably from the 18th century.

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I was thinking that too, a Catholic symbol. I have seen things like that from the 1715 fleet, but in gold.

cornelis 816

Sep 3, 2010
You are right Alexandre the C in the malay laguage is pronounced as TJ . And tida should be tidak . Blame it on a nice bottle of wine I opened . Cornelius

OP
OP
Alexandre

Alexandre

Bronze Member
Oct 21, 2009
Lisbon
cornelis 816 said:
You are right Alexandre the C in the malay laguage is pronounced as TJ . And tida should be tidak . Blame it on a nice bottle of wine I opened . Cornelius

If it was a Portuguese wine, you're excused, Cornelius.. :D

OP
OP
Alexandre

Alexandre

Bronze Member
Oct 21, 2009
Lisbon
stevemc said:
I was thinking that too, a Catholic symbol. I have seen things like that from the 1715 fleet, but in gold.

You are right, stevemc, it's common to find them in several Spanish colonies of the Caribbean sea, in contexts dated between 1580-1650.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread