Oct 21, 2009
Lisbon

Attachments

• Odyssey4--644x362.jpg
    Odyssey4--644x362.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 1,069

Panfilo

Feb 20, 2007
The opera ain't over 'till the fat lady sings...and she hasn't sung yet Alexandre, not just yet. "Do prato à boca perde-se a sopa."

MORE AND BEYOND OSSY

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2008
BRISBANE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Panfilo said:
The opera ain't over 'till the fat lady sings...and she hasn't sung yet Alexandre, not just yet. "Do prato à boca perde-se a sopa."
you got to be kidding Panfilo :laughing7: The are flying out as we speak :hello: :hello:
You owe me a bottle of Champagne amigo.
Ossy

OP
OP
Alexandre

Alexandre

Bronze Member
Oct 21, 2009
Lisbon
Trez said:
Just think in a couple of weeks...we will probably see them here :laughing9: and have the chance to pick up a few up at a good buy.
http://anuncios.ebay.es/

Trez

We won't. Spain is a party to the UNESCO Convention, which states:

"Article 18 – Seizure and disposition of underwater cultural heritage

1. Each State Party shall take measures providing for the seizure of underwater cultural heritage in its territory that has been recovered in a manner not in conformity with this Convention.

2. Each State Party shall record, protect and take all reasonable measures to stabilize underwater cultural heritage seized under this Convention.

3. Each State Party shall notify the Director-General and any other State with a verifiable link, especially a cultural, historical or archaeological link, to the underwater cultural heritage concerned of any seizure of underwater cultural heritage that it has made under this Convention.

4. A State Party which has seized underwater cultural heritage shall ensure that its disposition be for the public benefit, taking into account the need for conservation and research; the need for reassembly of a dispersed collection; the need for public access, exhibition and education; and the interests of any State with a verifiable link, especially a cultural, historical or archaeological link, in respect of the underwater cultural heritage concerned."

Also, this is a ground breaking action - the Spanish will want to make this a spotless example of how States can fight treasure hunting. So, rest assured that the money needed to secure, preserve and present this collection of plundered artefacts to the public will be there and will come from the same pocket that had the money for Goold's litigation fees. ;)

Trez

May 10, 2006
Treasure Coast (Vero Beach) to Sebastian
Detector(s) used
Sov Elite, CZ20, Minelab Sovereign XS, Explorer II, My eyeballs to bloody fingers have done me well also.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Alexandre said:
Trez said:
Just think in a couple of weeks...we will probably see them here :laughing9: and have the chance to pick up a few up at a good buy.

Trez

1. Each State Party shall take measures providing for the seizure of underwater cultural heritage in its territory that has been recovered in a manner not in conformity with this Convention.

2. Each State Party shall record, protect and take all reasonable measures to stabilize underwater cultural heritage seized under this Convention.

3. Each State Party shall notify the Director-General and any other State with a verifiable link, especially a cultural, historical or archaeological link, to the underwater cultural heritage concerned of any seizure of underwater cultural heritage that it has made under this Convention.

4. A State Party which has seized underwater cultural heritage shall ensure that its disposition be for the public benefit, taking into account the need for conservation and research; the need for reassembly of a dispersed collection; the need for public access, exhibition and education; and the interests of any State with a verifiable link, especially a cultural, historical or archaeological link, in respect of the underwater cultural heritage concerned."

Also, this is a ground breaking action - the Spanish will want to make this a spotless example of how States can fight treasure hunting. So, rest assured that the money needed to secure, preserve and present this collection of plundered artefacts to the public will be there and will come from the same pocket that had the money for Goold's litigation fees. ;)

That sounds all good and well Alexandre...but give it time
Mark my word, we will see them and exactly on that site...and hypocrisy will spell the end to Spain's claiming all shipwrecks with treasure found on...the United States will in time turn a blind eye to Spain when they come knocking again. Give it time...

Trez

OP
OP
Alexandre

Alexandre

Bronze Member
Oct 21, 2009
Lisbon
Trez said:
Mark my word, we will see them and exactly on that site...and hypocrisy will spell the end to Spain's claiming all shipwrecks with treasure found on...the United States will in time turn a blind eye to Spain when they come knocking again. Give it time...

Trez

I have time. A lot of time. ;)

After all, I have spent five years just to see this:

Attachments

• Odyssey4--644x362.jpg
    Odyssey4--644x362.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 1,052
  • Odyssey4--644x362.jpg
    Odyssey4--644x362.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 1,053

MORE AND BEYOND OSSY

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2008
BRISBANE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Trez said:
Alexandre said:
Trez said:

Trez

Trez
Trez for the first time in four years I can say you are wrong, I will give you my 1652 Cob, you know which one, if that happens.
Ossy

aquanut

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2005
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Tesoro Tiger Shark
I can't believe you are gloating like little children. I actually thought higher of you. I now know that my gut feeling was altogether correct.
Aquanut

OP
OP
Alexandre

Alexandre

Bronze Member
Oct 21, 2009
Lisbon
aquanut said:
I can't believe you are gloating like little children. I actually thought higher of you. I now know that my gut feeling was altogether correct.
Aquanut

Oh, c'mon Aquanut. If tables were reversed, do you think the forum would be dead silent?

Anyhow, it will all blow out tomorrow. As a matter of fact, I am gloating today, but for another motive: I have just been offered a very well paid job in the Indian Ocean!

bluehunter1973

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2006
Port Huron, Mi.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My grandparents are from spain but my thoughts on the treasure as being part of spain's heritage No. It didnt come from spain we all know where the got the gold and silver. The ship and the crew I firmly agree about it being a sacred site. But does spain plan on returning the aztec's or mayan heritage. Just my opinion so lets be fair on both sides.

MORE AND BEYOND OSSY

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2008
BRISBANE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
aquanut said:
Aquanut
aquanut you would be surprised, I am very restrained :-X
Ossy

MORE AND BEYOND OSSY

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2008
BRISBANE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bluehunter1973 said:
My grandparents are from spain but my thoughts on the treasure as being part of spain's heritage No. It didnt come from spain we all know where the got the gold and silver. The ship and the crew I firmly agree about it being a sacred site. But does spain plan on returning the aztec's or mayan heritage. Just my opinion so lets be fair on both sides.
bluehunter, what was Odyssey going to do with the coins and artifacts :dontknow: :dontknow:
Ossy

OP
OP
Alexandre

Alexandre

Bronze Member
Oct 21, 2009
Lisbon
bluehunter1973 said:
But does spain plan on returning the aztec's or mayan heritage.

Actually, if its Peru we are talking about, then it would be the Incas and/or the Quechuas..

bluehunter1973

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2006
Port Huron, Mi.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sell them or whatever else. Not arguing about what they were going to do with hell we all know that. Does that mean if they come from Peru the people are less than the aztec's. My god created all men equal. But does that also mean Peru gets their cultural heritage back. Congradulations on the job offer

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wonder if Odyssey had time to gold plate all those lead coins before they gave them back.

Au_Dreamers

Dec 15, 2010
back on the 1715!!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"1. Each State Party shall take measures providing for the seizure of underwater cultural heritage in its territory that has been recovered in a manner not in conformity with this Convention."

and won't it be ironic when Spain states that they don't have to follow the convention because the underwater cultural heritage didn't come from within its territory. :tongue3: :laughing9:

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
SPAIN NEEDS MONEY --SPAIN HAS COINS MADE OF GOLD AND SILVER * only a small amount of which needs to be kept for historical "display" puposes for measums -- do you not think that spain will sell off the "excess" inventory much the way many measums sell of "excess" inventory that they do not have storage space and money for the upkeep for -- they can say the "funds" raised will be used for the publics benefiet ( uh keeping the country from going bankrupt would in the eyes of the spanish govt be "in the public's benefeit" wouldn't it?) --

once again a govt wins over the "peoples rights" -- 76 % the money onboard the vessel according to the historical records was the "private" property of the people shipping it on the vessel at that time ( only 24 % was "the crowns money") , I for one do not understand how Spain was allowed to just "claim" ownership of these peoples (and their heirs) property . --do not "the people of spain have rights to their own property" ? --have we reverted to the dark ages --were the spanish king owns all (to do as he wishes with) -- does the king / country own the people and all their goods and lands within "their" kingdom? god forbid it has come to this. --the common man is once again "nothing' with no rights of ownership of hos own goods ? :notworthy: :whip2:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions