fINDING WRECKS IN SHALLOW WATER?????

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006
I recall many years ago I was looking for a Cave that Jesse James was said to have hidden some of his loot in Southern Missouri.
Anyway I had heard that using a Inferred camera just about dust that this would locate the cave for me. Of course you must do it from an airplane.
I found several caves but not the right one.
Now I was wondering if this could be applied to searching SANDY BEACHES along the East Cost of Florida?
We all know that say an iron cannon will absorb radiant heat more than the sand around the cannon.
I am thinking of trying this same thing and flying along the beach in the evening and seeing what the camera picks up.
The sand will give up heat a lot quicker than say a large metal object and if this does not work you can do the reverse and look for objects that are cooler than the sand.
One way or the other one should work.
I am nuts-most likely YES but give it some thought and see what you come up with.
Peg Leg

mnm

May 17, 2006
Cool idea , seems logical , that it could work , kinda like the way the Bradley Military fighting tanks found their way in the night during Desert Storm . Led them right through the minefields because they were reflecting the heat trapped in them . Hope you find some help Peg !!! Keep us all posted : )

OP
OP
P

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006
Diving Doc.
I understand that this would be costly but so is a Bottom Profiler. But would it work is my question?
I feel it is best suited for working sand dunes but we all know that in some areas this is a NO NO.
What if it was a device that could be attached to a ATV.
You could drive down the beach and take readings and record the GPS locations and then you could return to the spot/s that were recorded on you GPS and dig up whatever was there.
Just thinking out loud,
Peg Leg

ToyMan

Jul 25, 2005
An infra-red thermal imaging device will give the desired results in real-time. No need for film. I owned one in which I used for finding caves and large buried items. The loose soil above the buried object would be cooler in the evening as the surrounding packed soil would not cool as fast and thus reflected in the image as a dark area (hotter areas were brighter). The image resembled using an infra-red night scope but had dark to bright imaging to show the heat variations.

Thermal imaging would be worthless on the beach. You can buy these devices for under $5,000 used but they are hard to find at that price. I paid $6,500 in 1987 for a used one but it was in like new condition.

OP
OP
P

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006
Toyman,
I know that it would be useless on the beaches because of the cooling effect of the water.
But the sand dunes would work. Now if you were looking in say Baja California or the Death valley country this would be a perfect tool.
I think?
Peg Leg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread