Discovery Channel and Odessey

bluehunter1973

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2006
Port Huron, Mi.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
would love to see it but they wont get the treasure back. Spain already pawned it to pay for more politicians to get fat

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bluehunter1973 said:
would love to see it but they wont get the treasure back. Spain already pawned it to pay for more politicians to get fat

They have quite a history of that, don't they? I mean, they squandered centuries of looting and what do they have to show for it?

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Saw the show

wasn't Bad

But was a bit sad.
Made me wish I was in Control of the 6th.
Fleet when Spain started the Blockade, and
insisted on Boarding the Ship

Can you say International Incident :laughing7:

Spain would now have to hire other countries
to do their Fishing for them too.

signumops

Feb 28, 2007
U.S.
Detector(s) used
Garrett, Minelab, Aqua-Pulse
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Truly, the Discovery channel did get the last word. They pointed out that the U.S. court claimed no jurisdiction, and in the same breath, ordered Odyssey to return the booty to Spain. Supreme court would not hear the case (why not?). Then the Merryday Law stands. Therefore, there is no point in bringing an Admiralty Claim to court. There is no law for Americans in this venue. The State Department is holding all the cards.

Odyssey would be well advised, as would we all here on American soil, to take our business offshore to more benign environments. Imagine that!

I don't recollect the Odyssey vessels being flagged as American registry, but, that would not make any difference under the circumstances. Here we are, being bled dry to support a vast navy and army, while the appointees of our 'elected' government globalize our court system. We would have been better served if the Federal Government would have seized the loot and used it to pay for the protection of the Straits of Hormuz. At least even Spain might have benefited indirectly were that the case.

Alexandre

Bronze Member
Oct 21, 2009
Lisbon
signumops said:
We would have been better served if the Federal Government would have seized the loot and used it to pay for the protection of the Straits of Hormuz. At least even Spain might have benefited indirectly were that the case.

Why dont you sell your Bill of Rights or the Liberty Bell for that kind of funding? I believe it would fetch a nice price in an auction of Americana Memorabilia...

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
AquaPulse AQ1B - AquaPulse DX-200 Magnetometer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
If we had 500,000 Liberty bells, I'd let you sell 450,000 of them.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ScubaFinder said:
If we had 500,000 Liberty bells, I'd let you sell 450,000 of them.

well these days,
if I found 450,000 of them, I'd put one in my collection,
& Melt the rest down :wink:
& ask What Liberty Bells ?

I think the proper line goes

"I Don't know Nutton 'bout no Liberty bells" :dontknow:

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
AquaPulse AQ1B - AquaPulse DX-200 Magnetometer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
You aint right Jeff. LMAO I can see it now - For Sale - 4 tons of solid Bronze in crude brick form, some cracking may occur at certain frequencies. :laughing7: Or maybe "Miniature Liberty Bell replicas for sale, made with a portion of bronze from actual liberty bells. Somebody shoot me.

signumops

Feb 28, 2007
U.S.
Detector(s) used
Garrett, Minelab, Aqua-Pulse
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Alexandre:
go fish

jeff k

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2006
Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
signumops said:
Truly, the Discovery channel did get the last word. They pointed out that the U.S. court claimed no jurisdiction, and in the same breath, ordered Odyssey to return the booty to Spain. Supreme court would not hear the case (why not?). Then the Merryday Law stands. Therefore, there is no point in bringing an Admiralty Claim to court. There is no law for Americans in this venue. The State Department is holding all the cards.

The Supreme Court only refused a "stay" on the transfer of the coins. They haven't ruled yet on whether or not they'll hear the case.

MORE AND BEYOND OSSY

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2008
BRISBANE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeff K said:
signumops said:

The Supreme Court only refused a "stay" on the transfer of the coins. They haven't ruled yet on whether or not they'll hear the case.
Jeff it's all over, the coins are gone :hello:
What do you think the supreme court has the power to bring them back :laughing7: As Jeff of pa said you may need to bring the 6th fleet :laughing7:
Hollywood on the discovery channel ::)
Ossy

jeff k

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2006
Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MORE AND BEYOND OSSY said:
Jeff K said:
signumops said:

What do you think the supreme court has the power to bring them back :laughing7: As Jeff of pa said you may need to bring the 6th fleet :laughing7:
Ossy

So you admit the Spanish would not return the coins if the U.S. courts finally ruled in Odyssey's favor. I'm not surprised.

MORE AND BEYOND OSSY

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2008
BRISBANE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeff K said:
Jeff K said:
signumops said:

Ossy

So you admit the Spanish would not return the coins if the U.S. courts finally ruled in Odyssey's favor. I'm not surprised.
You know they have no chance, Why keep spending stock holders money :dontknow:
Lets call it quits on Odyssey and Spain :headbang:
What's the news with the Victory, this could be Odysseys savior
Ossy

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeff K said:
Jeff K said:
signumops said:

Ossy

You know they have no chance, Why keep spending stock holders money :dontknow:
Lets call it quits on Odyssey and Spain :headbang:
What's the news with the Victory, this could be Odysseys savior
Ossy

You're an accountant?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread