First-rate with 42" bronze cannon salvaged?

Sue.My.Chin

Greenie
Feb 29, 2012
Newcastle
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
First-rate with 42" bronze cannon salvaged?

Reading about the HMS Victory (1737) found by Odyssey in the English channel, 2009 where they found 42lb bronze cannon, the "only existing cannon of this type on dry land". Though they mention another ship with similar ordnance that was recovered and melted down as scrap.

discovery.com - "The site Odyssey has identified is one of only two first-rates whose ordnance has ever been located underwater. However, almost all of the bronze guns from the other site were melted down as scrap in the late 18th and 19th centuries."

I was wondering what was the name of other ship mentioned above. I have read-up on several first-rates with similar cannon but none mention the fate of the cannon.

I know the HMS Royal George was sunk and extensive work was done salvaging her. From what I can make out, there were bronze cannon and Iron cannon brought up but the only 42" ones mentioned were made of Iron. Does this rule her out?

Quotes state that the guns were melted down in the 18th century. This would rule out the Cambrian (wrecked in 1828) and probably the Queen Charlotte (sank on March 17, 1800) ... It also states the other ship was, like the Victory, a First-rate, ruling out the Colossus (third rate) & Invincible (1747) (third rate).

"The wreck is one of only two first-rates whose ordnance has ever been located underwater, the other having been salvaged in the late 18th century. However, unfortunately almost all of the bronze guns from the other ship were melted down as scrap in the late 18th and 19th centuries. " - http://shipwreck.net/hmsvictoryfaqs.php

I am aware bronze guns were still used for a while after and iron guns used long before, but the Victory (1737) was apparently the last first-rate to be completely decked-out with bronze cannon, so I'd imagine this is the era we're looking at.

Any help would be most welcome. Ben.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread