Personal archives of famed shipwreck researcher, Jack Haskins, for sale

dcrooks

Nov 10, 2004
The extensive archives of Jack Haskins are now being offered for sale to the research and treasure hunting communities. While these archives include many shipwreck and survivor records from around the world, the concentration is on New World Spanish shipwrecks. The sale includes over 250,000 pages of original documents which Mr. Haskins paid to have copied at the Spanish archives many years ago, Mr. Haskins' English translations of many of the documents, microfiche records, and other materials.

The archives of Spain are now closed to non-academics. Academics who want to use the archives must sign a statement that the materials they research will not be given or sold to treasure hunters. As such, original documents on Spanish shipwrecks hard to get.

To get more information about this archive, please call Mr. Dennis at 941-284-9807 in the US. Serious inquiries only.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
saltydog1733 said:
Where is the money from the sale going?

Is Jack still with us?

As of 2 months ago he wass in a nursing home and apparently not in very good health. This may be a sale from a family member to pay for his medical bills.

Alexandre

Bronze Member
Oct 21, 2009
Lisbon
dcrooks said:
The archives of Spain are now closed to non-academics. Academics who want to use the archives must sign a statement that the materials they research will not be given or sold to treasure hunters. As such, original documents on Spanish shipwrecks hard to get.

That's odd, with the majority of them being in the internet, on a free basis (quite unlike the greedy people at UK's Public Record Office, for example).

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Dcrooks I thought Capt. Carl Fismer was going to get all of Jack's records?

OP
OP
D

dcrooks

Nov 10, 2004
dcrooks is the legal representative for Jack. Jack is still with us. He is suffering from dimentia, but in generally good health otherwise. The funds will all go towards Jack's care.

Chagy

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I'm sorry to hear about Jack's health, he is a really good friend of mine. My good friend Burt Webber introduced me to Jack about 5 years ago. I wish he gets better, he is one of the great ones and one of the best researchers out there.

All the best,

Chagy....

signumops

Feb 28, 2007
U.S.
Detector(s) used
Garrett, Minelab, Aqua-Pulse
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've read some of Jack's research performed for Treasure Salvors regarding the Atocha. Superior work!

Maybe there is some way we can form a foundation that runs without a tax burden and that foundation can produce a printed volume of the Haskin's archive available directly to the contributors for a donation level. To wit: contribute X dollars and you will get a printed copy of the archive.

Another angle might be to host the archive online and, for an annual fee, perhaps you can have access to it in PDF format that is copy proof using Digital Rights Management locks.

Or, maybe we can raise the cash for a printed edition at www.kickstarter.com where the cash raised goes directly to Jack's estate, and, once again, the archive is printed for distribution to cash contributors at a certain level. At kickstarter, excess amounts of cash stay with the enterprise requesting the cash, regardless of whether the necessary funding is exceeded.

I can not do this through Signum Ops: IRS would break my ankles, but, a tax shelter of some sort could do it. I will volunteer to prepare the data for distribution. Any other ideas?

The only problem would be that there must be a thresh hold met to satisfy Jack's needs at the moment, and into the future. The estate management does not need to release everything all at once. It could be done in specific volumes, perhaps annually, for example. This would depend on the amount of material to be published, of course, and I have no idea how much there might be. I understand there is quit a bit.

Just an idea.

old man

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2003
East Coast
signumops said:
I've read some of Jack's research performed for Treasure Salvors regarding the Atocha. Superior work!

Maybe there is some way we can form a foundation that runs without a tax burden and that foundation can produce a printed volume of the Haskin's archive available directly to the contributors for a donation level. To wit: contribute X dollars and you will get a printed copy of the archive.

Another angle might be to host the archive online and, for an annual fee, perhaps you can have access to it in PDF format that is copy proof using Digital Rights Management locks.

Or, maybe we can raise the cash for a printed edition at www.kickstarter.com where the cash raised goes directly to Jack's estate, and, once again, the archive is printed for distribution to cash contributors at a certain level. At kickstarter, excess amounts of cash stay with the enterprise requesting the cash, regardless of whether the necessary funding is exceeded.

I can not do this through Signum Ops: IRS would break my ankles, but, a tax shelter of some sort could do it. I will volunteer to prepare the data for distribution. Any other ideas?

The only problem would be that there must be a thresh hold met to satisfy Jack's needs at the moment, and into the future. The estate management does not need to release everything all at once. It could be done in specific volumes, perhaps annually, for example. This would depend on the amount of material to be published, of course, and I have no idea how much there might be. I understand there is quit a bit.

Just an idea.

Terry, I think that is an excellent idea. Why don't you contact the family about starting a Jack Haskins Foundation. If we could raise enough money through donations for Jack's medical bills, I'd love to see the research come out in Book form. Several Volumes would be great. The other thing that would be accomplished is that Jack's accomplishments as a researcher would be in Print for generations and keep Jack's memory alive for a long time to come.
We could have another classic like John Potter's Book.

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
AquaPulse AQ1B - AquaPulse DX-200 Magnetometer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
My thoughts and prayers go out to Jack and his family. I will certainly donate to this cause. There will certainly be enough data for all of us to benefit, instead of just one person holding and controlling all of his research. Maybe big donations acquire the data up front, and smaller contributors get the book when it's printed. Whatever I can do to help, I am in.

Jason

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
pity - such a wonderful human mind , so full of rare knowledge lost , to lose ones mind and then live on only to die years later is what i call "the long double death" --because forst you lose all of your freinds and loved ones that care for you (since you can not remember who they are ==a "bunch of strangers" is seeing you) --many folks can not bear to see a loved one like this and thus refuse to visit them (to keep the memory of a "sane" person that knows them in their own heads --rather than a poor mentally broken down babbling person with no ideal who they are -- because frankly they can not "deal" with it )

I hope that if a single person buys Mr Haskins data that they will publish it for all the world to see in a book type format -- I for one would gladly buy a copy of it.

I wish Mr Haskins the very best and deeply regret not getting to talk to him years ago when he was healthy , just goes to show --never put off for tomorrow .........

Chagy

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
ScubaFinder said:
My thoughts and prayers go out to Jack and his family. I will certainly donate to this cause. There will certainly be enough data for all of us to benefit, instead of just one person holding and controlling all of his research. Maybe big donations acquire the data up front, and smaller contributors get the book when it's printed. Whatever I can do to help, I am in.

Jason

I am also willing to help....

signumops

Feb 28, 2007
U.S.
Detector(s) used
Garrett, Minelab, Aqua-Pulse
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
By the way, for the sake of the naysayers out there; today I spoke to Dr. Michael Francis, a Spanish paleographer who heads up the history dept. at N. Fl. U., and he advised that only 13% of the AGI is digitized. So the chances are, statistically, that 87% of the Haskins material is NOT online, nor would the statistically relevant material already be translated as much of it has been by Jack.

aquanut

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2005
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Tesoro Tiger Shark
I know for a fact, Jack has info in his research that would greatly help in my endeavors. So, if we're going to propose an offer, I' too am in!
Aquanut

Chagy

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
old man said:
Jeff K said:
Does anyone know what his latest project was?

Jeff, The last time I saw Jack was about 2 or 3 years ago and the only project that he talked about was the one in Panama. :icon_pirat:
[/quot

Last time I contact him he mentioned Panama....

Vox veritas

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
signumops said:
By the way, for the sake of the naysayers out there; today I spoke to Dr. Michael Francis, a Spanish paleographer who heads up the history dept. at N. Fl. U., and he advised that only 13% of the AGI is digitized. So the chances are, statistically, that 87% of the Haskins material is NOT online, nor would the statistically relevant material already be translated as much of it has been by Jack.

Terry,
really is 9% digitized !
VV

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
The last I heard Jack could not get a permit in Panama so he set his sights on Honduras. Jack got tons of documents on shipwrecks in Honduras. Thats what I'm interested in.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions