"The Game"

Jones Indiana

Dec 24, 2010
"The Game"

mask_of_agamemnon.jpg

The early stages of the development of archaeology included a significant aspect of treasure hunting. Heinrich Schliemann's excavations at Troy, and later at Mycenae, both turned up significant finds of golden artifacts. Homers lliad was thought to be a “fairy tale” about the fairy capital called Troy. After Schliemann it became a historical document. Which can now be used by archaeology. Early work in Egyptology also included similar motives relating to treasure hunting.

The dictionary defines archeology as:

The scientific study of historic or prehistoric peoples andtheir cultures by analysis of their artifacts, inscriptions,monuments, and other such remains, especially those that have been excavated.

In America if you cut grass and someone pays you for cutting grass, you can call yourself a professional grass cutter.

If you get a degree in archeology you’re an archeologist. I don’t know of to many archeologists that have been in the field for 20 years and never been paid. Maybe if you were from Old Money or won the lottery? Truly doing it for the love of the game.

As soon as you’re paid for doing archeological work you are now a "professional archaeologist".
I don’t know how cough cough a “professional archeologist” can call himself a archeologist implying he is doing it just for the love of the game:)

After this it's all about human nature...............

Best

Indy

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Re: "The Game"

Indy I can see you don't appreciate the beauty of a one ounce slug of silver, hand struck by a Peruvian Indian with a hand made die thats 450 years old. Its a piece of art. Why can't I get a million dollars for the oil painting that I made of the Mona Lisa?

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
AquaPulse AQ1B - AquaPulse DX-200 Magnetometer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

Jones Indiana said:
If silver is $30 a ounce and there are 100/1 ounce silver coins on a shipwreck then it's $3000. But if these same coins came off the shipwrecked called the "Fairy" why are they now worth $200 per coin? For a total of $6,000.

$200 x 100 Coins = $20,000, not $6,000. The reason is because one is a hunk of silver, the other is a piece of history, and art as Salvor6 pointed out. If I sat a 10 ounce bar of silver, and ten Spanish 8 Reales in front of you, which would you rather own? Not saying you don't have a point. If you sat 10 8 reales from Jupiter at $500 a piece, and 10 8 reales from the Atocha at $2,000 a piece in front of me, I'd become a fan of the Jupiter wreck in a heartbeat. ;D

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Let's face it...each individual marketplace set it's own price/value on things and it's usually due to demand......don't always make sense but it is what it is. :laughing9:

Twisted One

Apr 18, 2011
Redding, CA
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Rarity. A 1 ounce silver coin freshly minted, is worth $30 something bucks. A 1 ounce silver coin minted in 1960 will be worth more, due to availability. Only a certain numer minted, only a certain percentage expected to have survived, etc... So it might have origianlly been 1 of 500,000 but after 50+ years it might be only 1 of 50,000 survivors. Then you look at a shipwreck from the way back, and whatever is on the ship is the limitations, the demand will set it's value.
If you found 60 coins, and 100,000 people want it, it is worth whatever they are willing to pay.

What is it's archaeological value? Hard to say, I am not a big believer in a lot of what the archaeologist claim to do under those sort of conditions. You can usually find documentation on the ship, about where the ship originated, and it's destination without even finding the ship. Due to the demands of nature, shifting sands, shifting currents, etc... a lot of the other details are lost, an archaeologist can determine a few things, but the majority is guess work, and theory.

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Its all based on market value and supply and demand of old shipwreck coins.If you have numerous coins and you flood the market with them.The value would be less.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions