What do you see?

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I found these old aerial pictures online. Amazing what even old photos can reveal.

Both pictures are of an area of the Florida east coast, just south of Sebastain Inlet. One picture was taken in 1943, the other in 1951. Notice the dark object in the water, just offshore. They both show the same dark spot at the same location.

Hmmmm, and this was before Kip Wagner and the Real 8 Co. got started working on the 1715 Cabin wreck.

I have also read reports where parts of a wrecked ship were visible at low tide as late as the early part of the 20th century. Remember, at low tide here, the first reef sticks out of the water (er, used too-before the beach 'nourishment' projects)

Makes one wonder.

Attachments

• objectsebastian1951.jpg
    objectsebastian1951.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 659
  • objectSebastian1943.jpg
    objectSebastian1943.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 654

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
AquaPulse AQ1B - AquaPulse DX-200 Magnetometer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
That's neat stuff Tom, it's a pity those guys didn't have the internet...but if I had my choice, I'd look from a hot air balloon too. I love the technology we have today, but a big part of me wants to strap on the lead boots and iron bells and go find the stuff the hard way.

I looked on Google Earth and NASA WorldWind and you can't see the wreck from either of the sat images, it was fun trying to line up 50 year old landscapes though, it's amazing just how much the old earth shifts around.

Thanks,

Jason

Mainedigger

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Maine
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's M6 & Prizm III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom.....good thing I'm not a spotter for you...I can't see anything even knowing there is suppose to be something there!!! Damn, first my hearing started to go, now I am going blind...:):) What kind of shape will I be in when I hit 50?? :)

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
LOL - Did you scroll the image over so you could see the right side edge? They were a little big for my screen, and I had to use the right/left scroll bar at the bottom of the 2nd pic to see what Tom was pointing out. Even old eyes can easily see it...I mean hey, TOM saw it :P

Jason

OP
OP
M

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
You have to scroll all the way to the right hand side of each picture. About half way up, in the ocean and just off the beach, is an umistakable dark spot. It is in the exact same location on 2 different aerial pictures taken in 1943 and 1951.

I just thought it was interesting. Possibly there is a more modern shipwreck in there, although I have worked that area extensivesly and only found early 18th and 19th century artifacts.

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006
Yes I see the spots but what the hell, I see things that are not there anyway ;D ;D
Peg Leg

Mainedigger

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Maine
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's M6 & Prizm III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AHHHHHHHH...whew, I see it now...:):) guess my eyes aren't completely shot...:) Now if there was such a good quick fix for my hearing...:) Too many loud rock concerts when I was younger and 20 years of commercial fishing and being around LOUD diesels, but hell, half of what I don't hear I probably didn;t wanna hear anyway...:):)
Pics look promising, altough I can honestly say I have never seen a shipwreck pic taken from the sky like that, so can't offer that as an expert opinion. How are the tides around there?, If they are strong, it could account for the slight difference in position. The water and time may have broken things apart some and shifted in the tides and surf. Or as you said, could be more than one there. Definitely worth looking into. Being around the water as I have, I've always wanted to get into a salvaging operation, I don;t dive..if our maker wanted us under water, he would have given us gills...:) But would love to be involved in a shipwreck salvage....maybe when I am rich and famous and can afford the uncertainty of possibly no pay for a while...:) However, just thinking of the potential rewards...hmmmmm...:):)

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
I have to concur with pepper. The object do not line up. I noticed this as well and was in the process of doing the same alignment. I think it is a small boat or some other suface object in the left hand picture. But what is more interesting is the object directly onshore from the boat. Maybe out fishing. You can even see some distortion in a linear fashion that goes between the two. Like a tow line or anchor line. Very unusual.

The second image does not appear to be a surface target. In speculation I deem it to be JAWS. Actually just looks like a black spot on the image.

Just my 2 cents. But the objects definately do not align!

Robert in SC

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
Here is an exact (almost exact) overlay of the two images combined. You can see the objects in the water do not match in each image. I am interested in the objects that line up on the beach. Not that they have anything to do with a shipwreck, or maybe it could be part of a shipwreck!

Robert in SC

Attachments

• index.jpg
    index.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 568
OP
OP
M

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Wow, you guys are good with the technical stuff! I was interested in the spot on the beach as well-an unusual marking indeed.

Here is one more picture taken at a higher altitude and if you look real close, you can see the black spot with what appears to be water breaking around it.

Attachments

• objectinocean1951.jpg
    objectinocean1951.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 543

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006
Very interesting photos.
When I was a small child I used to ride the Beach's with my Grandpa and a Charlie Puddle. They would go up and down the beaches picking up whatever washed ashore from all the stuff that came from ships that were sunk by German U-Boats off the East Coast and there were many. Of course we only traveled the Brevard beaches and never got this far south.
However some of my locations that I have worked are either in the photos or very close.
Like I said VERY interesting photos.
Peg Leg

Mainedigger

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Maine
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's M6 & Prizm III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GDaddy....In that last pic, the black spot may be a boat and the water you see "breaking" around it may actually be the wake from a moving boat.

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
If you look to the far left of the picture, in the intercoastal waterway, there is another small black dot with a wake behind it.

Voldbjerg

Feb 9, 2006
Ive got one for you. This is a aerial photo of a Baltic coast line, on which a fleet of 12-14 Swedish ships wrecked in 1678, while carrying a retreating army home from Pommern(germany). Only 2 or 3 of the ships have been found, but not in the area covered by the photo. Do you see anything interesting?

Attachments

• bornholm.jpg
    bornholm.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 496

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
How about this one. I will not reveal the location, because it is the wreck of another member who sent it to me. But this is pretty cool! I wish the visibility here in SC was good enough to see wrecks like this.

Robert in SC

Attachments

• Schooner2.jpg
    Schooner2.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 477

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006
I suggest that those who are interested in photos of this area that the go to the Corps of Engineers. They have tons of them and they are very large.
Peg Leg

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
Pepper,

Very interesting. It sure looks like it could be something there. This was a position on Google Earth sent to me by a TNet member who located this wreck. This very well could have been a site where ships were run aground and abandoned. You read stories where so many ships were in port with little or no work, like in California after the gold rush. Or where a storm would sink a large number of ships anchored in port.

There very well could be several ships here!

Robert in SC

riobravo

Apr 2, 2006
south texas to the east coast
thanks pepper,
that does have a striking resemblance of a ship and the size compared to the road is convincing, but as quoted from rgecy get in the water and look, wish this was a new pic on a virgin island.
good work pepper, those are good skills on image enhancing glad your on or side.

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
OK, I knew this thread would suck me in sooner or later :D I used to teach image enhancement for a living to Texas Instruments, Lockheed martin, NASA, Los Alamos labs, and the others. I like PColaBoy's idea about making a negative image in the other thread, so I decided to try it on you image. Of course, I also cranked it up a notch with some filtering to finese out any hidden details and increased the resolution as best I could as well.

It's important to remember that you can't "make detail", I could make a wave look like a galleon by over doing the enhancing a little, once you go too far the computer has a tendancy to want to organize things into shapes for you. Pepper does a nice job of this without taking it over the edge, I'm using Photoshop and playing with unsharp masks to isolate shades of grey. For instance, all the waves in my image are solid black, anything not solid black is not a wave and has to be explained in other ways. I'll shut up now, and show you my negative image ;)

Attachments

• wreck.jpg
    wreck.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 307

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions