Special tools:

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006
Here I go again.
At the Bob Marx lecture the other night I asked a few THers if they knew of a device that would clamp onto a object and then you could pull that object from the water. Everyone laughed and said a CLAM SHELL BUCKET ;D.
Later my wife said "WHY NOT BUILD A DEVICE SIMILAR TO THE TOOL THAT IS USED TO PICKUP A NUT OR BOLT THAT YOU DROP WHEN WORKING ON A CAR MOTOR".
This was a brilliant idea.
I spent most of the night putting this thing together-of course what I have will not pickup anything really heavy but can handle up to 30 pounds.
I took a piece of 2" I.D. PVC tubing that was 6 feet long.
I then took another piece of 1" PVC tubing and slid it into the 2" tube.
I then took my grass rake and cut off all the metal arms-the spring steel arms.
I then drilled 2 holes in each piece and screwed them onto the 1" PVC. I used 6 arms from the grass rake. I had to bend each arm so that they would surround whatever you were trying to recover. This took me about 2 hours to get it right. It ended up looking like a micro device used in wrecking yards to pick up junk cars.
I slid the 1" tube into the 2" tube and it fit perfect.
I then drilled a hole into the 1" tube where the clamps were closed. This would allow me to know where I had to stop and where the arms were closed. This also allows me to pull up the object without it slipping away from the clamp arms.
My wife was asleep so I used one of her ceramic coffee cupsIt worked just fine-thank goodness :o.
I then used an 8 pound silver bar and it worked just fine.
OH this test consisted of a 8 gallon drum filled with sand and water. I used another drum that consisted of sand, water and mud. I also used several silver coins that I had dropped into this mess. The device worked out fine but took a few minutes to locate the coins.
I know that there is a better way and some of you will say just to dive and pickup these objects BUT this water I am dealing in is BLACK and I mean really BLACK and there are GATORS present most of the time.
Well that is about it-what do you think?
I should know something in a few weeks one way or the other.
Thanks for your time and comments.
Peg Leg

OP
OP
P

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006
Morning Joe,
The device still needs some minor work. I am taking it to a Machine Shop to see what it will cost to manufacture in case I decide to sell this thing.
So far it has cost me only about $15.00 to make the ptoto type but ,man does it look funny ::).
Hope to see you next week.
Peg Leg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread