Bottle dive, March 11

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• march 11 2012.jpg
    march 11 2012.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 879

signumops

Feb 28, 2007
U.S.
Detector(s) used
Garrett, Minelab, Aqua-Pulse
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How do you dink the bottles? Were they lying in plain view? What is the metal thing there... collapsible kedge maybe?

OP
OP
Zodiacdiverdave

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
signumops said:
How do you dink the bottles? Were they lying in plain view? What is the metal thing there... collapsible kedge maybe?
I am not sure what you mean by "dink" but I believe you meant dive. / We usually bottle dive all winter in the harbour here. This requires permission from the Harbour Master and radio communication with them during the dive. Like Commercial diving we have to have surface to diver communication as well, this is done by a signal line. Each diver in the water is solo due to the very low vis. which would make buddy diving impossible. We use a zodiac and tender for each diver and all divers use pony bottles. We have been doing it this way for about 20 years now and we haven't had an incident since.
The bottles are in plane view normally, sometimes we just see the neck or bottom sticking out of the silt. We also find allot of clay pipes, ship's china, and a ton of other interesting goodies.
The metal thing is a collapsible anchor with a broken shank. Too bad because it would have been good for a zodiac.
Here's a few pix from previous dives.
ZDD

Attachments

• DSC02685.JPG
    DSC02685.JPG
    63.8 KB · Views: 379
  • IMG00041-20101212-1257.jpg
    IMG00041-20101212-1257.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 377
  • DSC02681.JPG
    DSC02681.JPG
    67.4 KB · Views: 383

signumops

Feb 28, 2007
U.S.
Detector(s) used
Garrett, Minelab, Aqua-Pulse
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seriously great case gin bottle and other stuff there! When I said "dink", I meant how do you locate the bottle in the bottom sediment, such as using a bicycle spoke to poke down in the mud... "dink" sound of glass. Do you use metal detectors in the harbor, or is that a waste of time?

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
AquaPulse AQ1B - AquaPulse DX-200 Magnetometer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Nice Finds! I personally love harbor diving, got to do a few in Puerto Plata harbor in the Dominican Republic. I would literally just pick a direction and start swimming, it wouldn't be 50 yards before I'd find a bottle dump or a ballast pile, once I even found a mortar cannon that was undiscovered.

Keep up the good work, and never be shy about pics. :-)

Jason

OP
OP
Zodiacdiverdave

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
signumops said:
Seriously great case gin bottle and other stuff there! When I said "dink", I meant how do you locate the bottle in the bottom sediment, such as using a bicycle spoke to poke down in the mud... "dink" sound of glass. Do you use metal detectors in the harbor, or is that a waste of time?
Oh that's what you mean. No we don't poke the bottom usually, normally the places we go have enough current to keep the bottom gravel. We have found sword guards and hilts, leather scabbards, even a bugle from the 1800's and 2 cannon barrel plugs among other things. Oh yea and 2 bodies.
ZDD
some more goodies.

Attachments

• PTDC0027.jpg
    PTDC0027.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 389

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
AquaPulse AQ1B - AquaPulse DX-200 Magnetometer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
:icon_thumright: NICE! I love the artwork behind it too.

OP
OP
Zodiacdiverdave

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ScubaFinder said:
:icon_thumright: NICE! I love the artwork behind it too.
Thanks SF, I will post more Bottle Diving Pix when we get out.
Dave

Shawmen

Sep 7, 2010
Tango Charlie

Zodiac~
Awesome job you guys are doing up there!! Very nice recoveries and a couple "Jolly Rogers" to boot! Keep us updated and keep the pics coming. Your excursions are a nice twist here as most here are related to warmer waters and Spanish loot. Nice change to see what our COLD water brothers are up to!!

Safe dives to you all...
Santini

wwwtimmcp

Bronze Member
Sep 22, 2007
wakeman, ohio
Detector(s) used
J.W.FISHERS pulse 8x
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I once got a navy anchor with a broken shank. I used a piece of rebar to replace it, heat beat or weld, if it is usefull I fix it. inflateables dont pull a whole lot since they are lightweight and very shallow draft. neat finds and thanks for sharing.

OP
OP
Zodiacdiverdave

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shawmen said:

Zodiac~
Awesome job you guys are doing up there!! Very nice recoveries and a couple "Jolly Rogers" to boot! Keep us updated and keep the pics coming. Your excursions are a nice twist here as most here are related to warmer waters and Spanish loot. Nice change to see what our COLD water brothers are up to!!

Safe dives to you all...
Santini
Thanks Shawmen, I love seeing the Spanish treasure that you guys and gals (Capthawk) bring up. It's been a live long dream of mine to recover Spanish loot ever since I my brother picked up a Spanish coin on the beach when we were kids. He has passed away now and I now have his coin for inspiration. Maybe one day I might get a chance to recover some of my oun. But, the government up here has just killed all wreck salvage so now we are going to have to act like real pirates if we are going to go for the gold.
Anyway here is a pic of some other goodies. These are from last year during our group's (10 divers in all) annual show and tell and dinner. The coins are gold sovereigns and one spade guinea ranging from 1790 to 1873 and some silver as well, the other is some of our black glass.
thanks for looking
Dave

Attachments

• DSC02925.JPG
    DSC02925.JPG
    72.8 KB · Views: 544
  • DSC02929.JPG
    DSC02929.JPG
    59.7 KB · Views: 544
  • DSC02938.JPG
    DSC02938.JPG
    67.7 KB · Views: 537
OP
OP
Zodiacdiverdave

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wwwtimmcp said:
I once got a navy anchor with a broken shank. I used a piece of rebar to replace it, heat beat or weld, if it is usefull I fix it. inflateables dont pull a whole lot since they are lightweight and very shallow draft. neat finds and thanks for sharing.
I think we will do something like that as well. It would be a good marker buoy anchor if not for any thing else.
ZDD

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:headbang: Just TOO KOOL! Great collection of stuff.........you're really getting my blood flowing again! :thumbsup:

ColonialDude

Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Shawmen, I love seeing the Spanish treasure that you guys and gals (Capthawk) bring up. It's been a live long dream of mine to recover Spanish loot ever since I my brother picked up a Spanish coin on the beach when we were kids. He has passed away now and I now have his coin for inspiration. Maybe one day I might get a chance to recover some of my oun. But, the government up here has just killed all wreck salvage so now we are going to have to act like real pirates if we are going to go for the gold.
Anyway here is a pic of some other goodies. These are from last year during our group's (10 divers in all) annual show and tell and dinner. The coins are gold sovereigns and one spade guinea ranging from 1790 to 1873 and some silver as well, the other is some of our black glass.
thanks for looking
Dave

Holy crap man!!! Those are some wicked finds! I love those old bottles and the gold coins well, what can I say!? Amazing.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread