Which Carribean islands allow detecting?

Sharecropper

Feb 27, 2009
For several years I have followed this exciting forum and thoroughly enjoyed the many posts related to Shipwrecks. My sincere gratitude is extended to all those folk who have shared their knowledge and experiences here. Although I have never been involved with any shipwreck project, I have always been fascinated with the subject and forever dreamed of participating in such an endeavor. However two back surgeries and old age has caused me to resign my dreams, and instead rely on my trusty metal detector to find those elusive treasures on the beaches of America.

Now in retirement, my wife and I plan to travel to several US and British Virgin Islands for vacation. My question is - do any of these islands allow metal detecting? If so, what are the procedures for bringing a metal detector through checked baggage, and what happens if I were to actually recover valuables and then attempt to bring them back to the States?

I realize this is slightly off-topic, however I could not determine a more appropriate forum in which to post the question. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

An old man in Kentucky.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SENT YOU A PM WITH ALBUM WITH ARTICLES OF MINE - SOME MAY HELP YOU
ASK SAME QUESTION ON THE BEACH FORUM
most allow detecting - but some island have areas of water that are sanctuaries or national parks in the water that they will not allow you
to disturb

MPH200

Oct 26, 2012
Austin, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
This thread is from 2012, he may not be active. It would be a good list to post if anyone does get it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions