The Vatican Secret Archives open reveals itself

Alexandre

Bronze Member
Oct 21, 2009
Lisbon
(a lot of Iberian shipwreck accounts here)

100 original Documents from the Vatican Secret Archives enlighten 12 centuries of history

An unprecedented cultural and media event: 100 original documents, preserved for 400 years in the Popes’ Archive, will leave the confines of the Vatican City walls for the first time in history, and will be admired at the Capitoline Museums in Rome, from 1[SUP]st[/SUP] March till September 2012, for the exhibition "Lux in arcana - The Vatican Secret Archives reveals itself". Conclaves, heresies, popes and emperors. Crusades, excommunications, ciphered letters. Manuscripts, codices, ancient parchments. A unique and once-in-a-lifetime event recounting history through its sources.

Official website Lux in arcana - Vatican Secret Archives reveals itself

JT

Mar 14, 2005
Johns Island, South Carolina
I've been to the Vatican Museum several times, it's mindboggling to see some of what they have on display. What they have that's not on public display (and never has been shown to the public) is equally as mind boggling, per an old aquaintance of mine.

Much like any museum, they'd probably be surprised at what they'd find shoved in a corner or cabinet, covered with dust and forgotten.

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd give a lot to roam around in there.

I've been to the British Library (British Museum Reading Room) and Map Room, but that would be nice also. They probably have documents on the massacre of the Knights Templar in 1307.

Chagy

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Is any one going? I have a special request....please let me know!!!

All the best,

Chagy........

Chagy

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I've been to the Vatican Museum several times, it's mindboggling to see some of what they have on display. What they have that's not on public display (and never has been shown to the public) is equally as mind boggling, per an old aquaintance of mine.

Much like any museum, they'd probably be surprised at what they'd find shoved in a corner or cabinet, covered with dust and forgotten.

You would be surprised of what may be found in dusty boxes in libraries...I have come across great and unique things!!!

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
there are many cases of "locked up' limited acccess bits of knowledge out there -- JSTOR * is one such "wall" that blocks off research in many cases here in america -- theres lots of access limited "govt and religiuos and high level academic " knowledge that the "general public" at large has no ideal of how to gain access to and in general will not be allowed to see or even know that they exist . ---seldom known bits of knowledge are what i hunt for in many cases. -- often the knowledge of money and wealth if lost and the clues about how and where the loss occured were state secerts long ago and it was not "general information' like it is today. -- while rooting around in old secert files * and other limited access documents --one can often find clues to such treasures.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread