sub off cape canaveral?

barney

Oct 5, 2006
FLORIDA
The "Sub Wreck" off Canaveral consists of the remains of a NASA observation/camera tower that was eventually sunk offshore to dispose of it. No submarine...
Cheers,
Mike

Michael C. Barnette
Shipwrecks of the Sunshine State: Florida's Submerged History
http://uwex.us/shipwreckbook.htm
Association of Underwater Explorers
http://uwex.us

ScubaDude

Bronze Member
Oct 10, 2006
Coastal, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS, Garret Seahunter MK II, Geometrics 882, Marine Sonic SS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm thinking its a tad shallower than 150 feet at 1 mile out......

OP
OP
macblastr

macblastr

Oct 17, 2006
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
excalibur 1000, 1280x, impulse
that was my thought... i can stand up a mile out...

well, not quite...

but the sub i fish is in 90 ft of water. so i believe the nasa story. but i would be interested in the italian sub if ya got coordinates?

Hoss KGC

May 30, 2003
USA
Hi,
I'm curious why it is so hard to believe there would be a sub there? There are lots of German U-boats all through the Gulf of Mexico. There is one that divers have picked souvenirs off of for years up in Galveston bay. There is another not so well known wreck off of Padre Island.
Good luck,
Boattow

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I STAND CORRECTED! After reading Osborn's post I remember a buddy of mine, Lane Hedrick found an Italian sub sunk off Cape Canaveral by U.S. Navy right at the end of WWII. It is in 90 feet of water. He wanted to salvage it but I guess everybody knows about it now.

barney

Oct 5, 2006
FLORIDA
boattow said:
Hi,
I'm curious why it is so hard to believe there would be a sub there? There are lots of German U-boats all through the Gulf of Mexico. There is one that divers have picked souvenirs off of for years up in Galveston bay. There is another not so well known wreck off of Padre Island.
Good luck,
Boattow

There is absolutely no evidence to support such claims (re: U-boats in the Gulf). The only documented loss was the U-166, and that was discovered several years ago in deep water by a contractor for an oil/gas company.

barney

Oct 5, 2006
FLORIDA
salvor 6 said:
I STAND CORRECTED! After reading Osborn's post I remember a buddy of mine, Lane Hedrick found an Italian sub sunk off Cape Canaveral by U.S. Navy right at the end of WWII. It is in 90 feet of water. He wanted to salvage it but I guess everybody knows about it now.

That is the NASA material. There is no documentation to support claims for a submarine off Canaveral, especially an Italian one!!!

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I have a great interest in Italian subs. Quiznos makes a good one but you can't beat a Firehouse Italian sub.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread