Jupiter Intercoastal Wreck or old dock/ garbage??

Surfr2984

Mar 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am new member to this site and now that I am TOTALLY HOOKED on finding some sort of historical treasure, I am reminded of the time I was looking for lobster off a friends dock on Jupiter Island. Those familiar with the area know that the clear water travels pretty far north up the intercoastal waterway from the jupiter inlet and visibility is sometimes clear as day. I recall I was looking around in about 5 feet of water maybe 15 yards from the east side of the bank and I found what I believed was part of a ship. I only say that I thought it was a ship because I was wishfully thinking at the time and it could have been an old dock or something however the area I was searching was not near any residence either north or south of my location. Anyway, what I found was a partially buried piece of very old delapidated wood plank. It had large grooves in it in between the grains as if it was in the water for quite some time. As I recall fanning the surrounding sand away to try and pry it up, I realized that it was much larger than I had thought and I somewhat gave up trying to dig it out. I used my knife to take a few stabs at it to try and see what was underneith it but by the time I was done thrashing around like an idiot there was so much silt in the water around me I couldnt see a thing and my friend yelled at me for ruining our visability for lobster hunting. Had my interest in treasure hunting been like it is now Id definitely know what it was but since we were there on a hunt of another kind (and my buddy having no interest in it) I abandoned the search. Having never seen an old shipwreck nor being familiar with how a wooden ship would deteriorate over time submerged I have no idea whether I was looking at something 10 or 100 years old. I have a vivid memory of the condition of the section of wood and the grooves in it were definitely caused by the sand rubbing back and fourth with the tide. I could definitely find the spot again if someone wanted to find it but wanted to get some thoughts from the members of this site.. Is there any historical reference to vessels sinking in the intercoastal or past finds on the inside shores of south floridas barrier islands near or on Jupiter Island? Just wondering if anyone had any insight or thoughts on the subject... Thanks for the interest and intel...

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Get the book, "A Light in the Wilderness" by James Snyder, It is at the Jupiter Branch of the public library. That book references several wrecks in the area you describe. Many ships sunk over years in what we now call the intracoastal waterway. From Titusville south to Jupiter, many sailing vessels took the inside route. A few wrecked off Conch's Bar at the north end of the Jupiter Narrows.

Regards, Tom

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread