Titanic

allen_idaho

Dec 4, 2007
Culdesac, Idaho
Possibly. For example, that entire collection of over 5,000 artifacts they were shipping from museum to museum was just put up for sale and appraised at around $189 million. The auction is April 11th. But those are some of the more sought after artifacts. Name boards. Plaques. China. Deck chairs. Brass fittings. Compasses. Perfume. Jewelry. Menus. Personal Letters. Stuff like that. Even a 17-ton chunk of the hull.

And now that the Titanic is a protected site, you can forget any future salvage. But just the fact that these artifacts come from the Titanic makes them valuable.

OP
OP
B

blackbeard1717

Sep 10, 2010
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Fisher IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I say if 80 to 90 Percent of artifacts were able to be brought up. At low end artifacts have to be worth close to a billion.

Alexandre

Bronze Member
Oct 21, 2009
Lisbon
And now that the Titanic is a protected site, you can forget any future salvage.

The Titanic is NOT a protected site. RMS Titanic continues to have the right of salvaging it.

As for what it is worth... well, they are worth what people are prepared to pay for them. With all this hype going around, I bet people will be prepared to pay even more for them.

But, in the end, they are still rivets and lumps of coal.

allen_idaho

Dec 4, 2007
Culdesac, Idaho
I'm aware. But the wreck is now listed as a protected site by UNESCO. Anyone other than RMS tries to salvage that wreck, they are going to be in a world of hurt if they are from any nation party to the Unesco convention. The artifacts will be blacklisted if put up for sale in those countries and likely confiscated much like stolen european artifacts were after World War 2.

Unesco ruling protects remains of those who lie in Titanic wreck (From Daily Echo)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread