whats this?alien weapon,eskimo or indian spear or harpoon

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also posted this topic in the what is it forum,maybe someone else here knows what it is.

I was removing this steel pipe stuck in the ground in my backyard,i had to dig down 5 feet to get it out,i was digging with my bare hands when something sharp sliced the top of my index finger wide open.this metal object is what did it.it had a light layer of rust on it which cleaned up with my wire wheel.its not stainless but maybe a better grade of steel.any ideas what it is? it looks like someone beat it out from a fire,it wasnt made with a machine.

Attachments

• alienweapon1.jpg
    alienweapon1.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 4,469
  • alienweapon2.jpg
    alienweapon2.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 836
  • alienweapon1.jpg
    alienweapon1.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 831
  • alienweapon2.jpg
    alienweapon2.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 591

Zobex

Jun 27, 2006
FISHEYE said:
I also posted this topic in the what is it forum,maybe someone else here knows what it is.

I was removing this steel pipe stuck in the ground in my backyard,i had to dig down 5 feet to get it out,i was digging with my bare hands when something sharp sliced the top of my index finger wide open.this metal object is what did it.it had a light layer of rust on it which cleaned up with my wire wheel.its not stainless but maybe a better grade of steel.any ideas what it is? it looks like someone beat it out from a fire,it wasnt made with a machine.

Definately a small combat or hunting spear. I would guess for fish spear hunting in shallow water from where you are. The pencil tip end is jammed into a wood or rattan shank. Check to see if there is coarse file marks on the tang end. If it shows evidence of symetrical hammering then it may have been formed by two forging blocks smashed onto a hot glowing shank. This was a practice as far back as 400 years ago. I doubt this is more than 100 years old or circa 1900. Perhaps early 1950's reproduction trade.

Nice tip, I collect spears.

OP
OP
FISHEYE

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
zobex,

no file marks anywhere on it cept near the arrow tip on one side theres scratch marks like whoever made it used a rock to sharpen it.then hammer or blunt type marks all over the rest of it,even the short shaft.

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006
That is a great find and very unusual.
I would not mind having something like this to display in my upcoming PEG LEGS -GRUB AND GROG -RESTUARANT.
Peg Legs

Donovan

Jun 10, 2005
I saw a lot of those when I lived in the Philippines as a kid. ( 1950's ) Most were made from WW 2 metal and sold to the GI tourists as authentic Negrito war spears. They fit into a bamboo pole and were decorated with feathers etc. They could be removed and doubled as a small dagger.There were also arrows with flattened and filed brass bullet heads as points.
Splash,
Donovan

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread