live update from jupiter with seahunter

theseeker

Mar 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's Surf PI Pro Dual Field/Minelab Sovereign Elite/Goldbug II/Goldbug Pro
Seahunter, if you guys are getting out there to hunt, I would like to join in with you and lend a hand. Let me know if you are planning to blow some holes anytime soon. It would be a dream come true for me to do this. Live in West Palm Beach and my schedule can be flexible. Appreciate any consideration on this. Thanks for putting this out there!! Awesome stuff!!!

Pete

crzhors

Oct 29, 2006
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse,Excaliber,Pulse8X
Hey Scott, Likewise on saving that coin we found way back when, I'll be back up in Stuart in Aug. Looking forward to seeing you, Thanks,Jeff

Attachments

• P8040109.JPG
    P8040109.JPG
    82.6 KB · Views: 814

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Bill, sent you a PM.

Tom

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
AquaPulse AQ1B - AquaPulse DX-200 Magnetometer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Lynn and Jeff, Rest assured that Scott is a man of his word. He held onto my first coin for over 2 years until I finally got back in touch with him. It is now in my hands and is my prized posession...I have found many coins since then, but this one was the first and will always be my favorite because of the comraderie and freindships dewveloped on Scott's boat that weekend. It changed my life for the better, thanks to Scott and Joe...I now live that dream life I always wanted, and Scott started it all with his generosity.

I wish there were a hundred more like Scott in this business, but alas there are only a few that even come close. My hat is always off to you brother!

Jason

Chagy

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
ScubaFinder said:
Lynn and Jeff, Rest assured that Scott is a man of his word. He held onto my first coin for over 2 years until I finally got back in touch with him. It is now in my hands and is my prized posession...I have found many coins since then, but this one was the first and will always be my favorite because of the comraderie and freindships dewveloped on Scott's boat that weekend. It changed my life for the better, thanks to Scott and Joe...I now live that dream life I always wanted, and Scott started it all with his generosity.

I wish there were a hundred more like Scott in this business, but alas there are only a few that even come close. My hat is always off to you brother!

Jason

Jas, I concur with everything said. Scott is a great friend who was always been there for me, not only in treasure hunting but in many other matters...I will always be grateful....

All the best,

Chagy.....

Mel245

Greenie
Jun 6, 2009
SEAHUNTER said:
Hello Everyone
I want to thank everyone who came and helped and made this weekend possible. It truly was a dream come true for me. I have wanted this since I was six years old laying in a hospital bed and reading my first treasure magazine. I think it is very important for us all to realize that without treasurenet none of this would have ever happened. Every single person there this weekend came from treasurenet and most of them I had never even met or spoken to before. There were probably fifteen people there over the weekend and yet I don't think I heard one single cross word.

Not bad for an old hunted out wreck site. Anybody who says any shipwreck site is hunted out has obviously never been on the bottom actually hunting. This site will not get hunted out in my lifetime. We were just getting started.

Wait till you see what we do next time.

Thanks again to everyone.

Seahunter
Hey awesome pictures, would love to get involved with diving this spot. Ps got the liftbags still if they are needed or wanted. Let me know when you dive next time!!!

Mr.Jody

Jul 6, 2008
florida and everywhere....
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5 Quicksilver
wreckdiver1715 said:
Scott, there goes the neighborhood. The state must have heard that you were going to work the Jupiter site this year.

Tom
In those 2 pics, did the state put extra sand out there because you guys were workingnear this place?Im confused..

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
At Jupiter inlet there is sand accretion on the north side of the inlet and erosion on the south side, where Scott's shipwreck lies. This is also Jupiter Inlet beach and park. The city of Jupiter has one of the highest avg. per capita incomes for any city in the US. So the govt. keeps throwing our tax dollars to keep a nice, wide beach there.

Mr.Jody

Jul 6, 2008
florida and everywhere....
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5 Quicksilver
Oh, thanks for the info...At first I thought they seen them out there doing what they do, and figured they would put more sand out there to push them out further from the beach....... :D

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Dumping all of that sand on the beach sure doesn't help the salvors out, that's for sure.

Indian River County did the same thing at the 1715 Cabin Wreck and buried the 1st reef, a living reef, under 4 feet of sand. (and all of the artifacts and treasure with it) Amazing considering the amount of paperwork, benthic studies etc we have to go through to excavate.

Dirt Fishin Dale

Aug 23, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Excal 1000, Binford 5000 super hunter
I have been following this thread from the beginning. And it’s good to see people live out their dreams.
One of these days I hope to join you.
Thanks Seahunter!

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
It's been almost 3 years since anyone has posted here and this fall will be 6 years since Scott gave an open invitation for T-netters to come dive in Jupiter. I was looking for an old photo, when I ended up reading this thread again. Wow! What a weekend. Since that time, I have searched for shipwrecks in New England, the Mid-Atlantic and the South. I even had a run overseas. Many of these guys have gone on to do much more. Treasure fever has been with me for decades, but nothing has compared to that October weekend at Jupiter in 2006. I treasure the friends I've made then and since then. I guess nostalgia hit me. Thanks again, Scott!

first coins.jpg
jupiter crew 2.jpg
jupiter crew.jpg

SEAHUNTER

Jan 10, 2006
PALM BEACH COUNTY,FLORIDA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Darren
You are welcome. I agree with you. It was a weekend I will never forget, magical. I am thankful to everyone involved who made the weekend what it was. I had a great time and made a lot of great lifelong friends.
Scott

Attachments

• The%20crew.jpg
    The%20crew.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 227
Last edited:

Rgecy2

Dec 6, 2022
I couldn't think of anything more fitting than to resurrect this thread.

It is with deep regret that I announce the passing of a legend and friend Richard Fred (Dick) Gurske aka DinkyDick.

Dick would have been 87 years old this past weekend. He was born December 3rd, 1935 in Chicago, IL and graduated from Lane Technical High School and joined the Navy in 1953.

I first met him at the age of 70 back in October of 2006 when a group of guys from here on TreasureNet got together on the Jupiter Wreck with Scott Thompson (Seahunter) to dig for Spanish treasure on the Rio Bravo. It was one of the most memorable weekends of my life and many friendships were made that have endured even now 16+ years later. Dick was one of 11 guys from that trip to come together and form ARRG (Aquatic Research and Recovery Group). We pooled our money to build a beautiful treasure boat, the Conquistador, to work the 1715 fleet in 2007 and 2008. Dick was retired and had minimal income, but he always contributed his share.

Dick was a commercial diver and treasure hunter at heart. As he got older and wasn't able to dive he used his skills to build and invent devices to find treasure and shipwrecks. He had a wealth of knowledge as most old men do...and as i got to know him found we had a lot in common. We would talk for hours about different inventions and ideas from magnetometers and metal detector coils to ROVs. He always had a project going.

I can only imagine the things he did in his 86 years. He was very intriguing and smart with a vast knowledge of electronics and programming. Although he seemed to be stuck in the 90s with DOS 3.0. At one point we even worked together on finding the lost Atomic Bomb off Savannah GA. He created an array of sensors to detect the uranium signature in the water.

I really don't know much about his early years. I do know he had a son and had been divorced back in the 70s. He worked as commercial diver when he was younger and up until this past spring he was an instructor at the Commercial Diving Academy in Jacksonville. As the years went on and I was less involved with treasure hunting, we did not talk as much. But I would routinely check in on him just to see how he was doing. I would always call and tell him "I was checking in to make sure he was still kicking". Many times I would catch him while he was at the bar having a drink or in the end his sweet tea. He always seemed to be chatting up the ladies....even at 86!

The last time I spoke to him was over the summer. He had left his job at the Diving Academy and you could tell he was slowing down. He had been having some health problems over the last few years, but he still had some fight and talked about how he was spending more time tinkering on his projects.

This past week I tried reaching out to him, only to find his phone had been disconnected and I was immediately concerned. I started looking for ways to see if I could get in touch or see if anyone had heard from him. I was finally able to get in contact with his neighbor who informed me of his passing last month. I hope in the end he did not suffer. I don't know if he had many friends who kept up with him or even if he had any family left.

If you made it this far, thank you for honoring him by reading this post! This was truly one of the best experiences of my life and he was a part of it.

Thank you Dick for being my friend!

Attachments

• sid_1862_1954_1_0046 (1).jpg
    sid_1862_1954_1_0046 (1).jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 20
  • Dick with coin & Salvor6.jpg
    Dick with coin & Salvor6.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 19
  • The crew.jpg
    The crew.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 21
  • SeaHunter, Darren in NC, Brad, Robert in SC, Dick.jpg