Writing a Treasure Hunting novel and need information!

Apr 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi everyone! My pen name is Emery Matthews. I am a novelist from Colorado. I am currently working on a fantasy novel that involves treasure/shipwreck diving in Port Royal, Jamaica.

I truly have no knowledge on the subject but I am fascinated by it. I have been made aware that there are a lot of politics involved. I would love to hear first hand about such things. Also, just general knowledge such as what kind of boat would be a treasure/shipwreck diver's dream boat. What is the most sought after equipment.

How would a woman captain be received? For my book's sake I am hoping not well. Also, who would be your enemy in the world of sailing and boating if anyone? Must you pull a permit or something before a dive?

Any info would be greatly appreciated and if you choose I will include an acknowledgment in my book for you! Please Email me any responses to: [email protected]

signumops

Feb 28, 2007
U.S.
Detector(s) used
Garrett, Minelab, Aqua-Pulse
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Woman captain? Permitting? Salvage, intrigue, love, deceit, danger ? Real life story... read "Atocha Treasure Adventures: Sweat of the Sun, Tears of the Moon" by Syd Jones.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
talk to diver lynn -- shes a female "treasure" diver as well as a licensed boat capt --currently shes working in a dive shop as a diving advisor / trainer type person

allen_idaho

Dec 4, 2007
Culdesac, Idaho
If I remember correctly, most of Port Royal sank around 1692. I think. Don't hold me to that.

The problem was that the town was in an economic boom and they needed more land. So they extended the shore line outward. They not only made a harbor, but also put homes and shops on that artificial pier. But then an earthquake hit. This caused what is known as liquifaction. That is, the ground beneath the town was shaken into a liquid state and the town went down.

I think around the early 1980's, some university worked out a deal to excavate the town. First they needed permission from the Jamaica National Heritage Trust. A deal had to be struck. Archaeological procedures had to be followed.

whydahdiver

Apr 2, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Emery: I was a graduate student at Port Royal in 1982 with Texas A&M, I can fill you in on lots of stuff. Ask away!

Whydah Diver

E

elle

Emery,
You should interview bronzecannons about his diving. He is the author of a book that is my all-time favorite on the shelf, and I even send copies of it as gifts.
Whydahdiver also has years of experience and enough stories to fill your entire book!

L
J

Last edited:

Diggit

Mar 25, 2012
Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, DFX, GMT and Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My first bit of advice would be to take about 90% of what people will tell you on the internet with a grain of salt and skepticism.
Beware anyone that calls themselves "expert" on anything.

Sounds like it will be a great story, hope it goes smoothly. The first book is the hardest, but it gets easier after that.

xaos

Bronze Member
Jul 3, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, another thread back after almost 10 years!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread