Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Apr 2012
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Writing a Treasure Hunting novel and need information!

Hi everyone! My pen name is Emery Matthews. I am a novelist from Colorado. I am currently working on a fantasy novel that involves treasure/shipwreck diving in Port Royal, Jamaica.

I truly have no knowledge on the subject but I am fascinated by it. I have been made aware that there are a lot of politics involved. I would love to hear first hand about such things. Also, just general knowledge such as what kind of boat would be a treasure/shipwreck diver's dream boat. What is the most sought after equipment.

How would a woman captain be received? For my book's sake I am hoping not well. Also, who would be your enemy in the world of sailing and boating if anyone? Must you pull a permit or something before a dive?

Any info would be greatly appreciated and if you choose I will include an acknowledgment in my book for you! Please Email me any responses to: Severson.vicki@yahoo.com

Oct 2004
    N. San Diego area (Pic of my two best 'finds')
    Minelab Explorer
    1754 times
    Research and History
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    Welcome to Treasure Net !!

You might consider reading this book early in your research process:Amazon.com: Port Royal (9780954406011): Robert F Marx: Books
    Don....

Feb 2007
    U.S.
    Garrett, Minelab, Aqua-Pulse
    71 times
    Woman captain? Permitting? Salvage, intrigue, love, deceit, danger ? Real life story... read "Atocha Treasure Adventures: Sweat of the Sun, Tears of the Moon" by Syd Jones.

us
    da book worm--researcher

Feb 2007
    callahan,fl
    delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
    762 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    talk to diver lynn -- shes a female "treasure" diver as well as a licensed boat capt --currently shes working in a dive shop as a diving advisor / trainer type person

Oct 2004
    N. San Diego area (Pic of my two best 'finds')
    Minelab Explorer
    1754 times
    Research and History
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    Read the book written by Margaret Brandeis ("Women Can Find Shipwrecks Too")--and this:
    The Secret of the Santa Maria | Feature | Oakland, Berkeley & Bay Area News & Arts Coverage
    Last edited by Mackaydon; Apr 15, 2012 at 09:19 AM.

Dec 2007
    Culdesac, Idaho
    61 times
    If I remember correctly, most of Port Royal sank around 1692. I think. Don't hold me to that.

The problem was that the town was in an economic boom and they needed more land. So they extended the shore line outward. They not only made a harbor, but also put homes and shops on that artificial pier. But then an earthquake hit. This caused what is known as liquifaction. That is, the ground beneath the town was shaken into a liquid state and the town went down.

I think around the early 1980's, some university worked out a deal to excavate the town. First they needed permission from the Jamaica National Heritage Trust. A deal had to be struck. Archaeological procedures had to be followed.

Apr 2012
    18 times
    Emery: I was a graduate student at Port Royal in 1982 with Texas A&M, I can fill you in on lots of stuff. Ask away!

Whydah Diver

us
    Author: Shipwrecks & Sunken Treasure In Southeast Asia

Sep 2005
    Oceanside, CA
    3 times
    Shipwrecks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mackaydon View Post
    Read the book written by Margaret Brandeis ("Women Can Find Shipwrecks Too")--and this:
    The Secret of the Santa Maria | Feature | Oakland, Berkeley & Bay Area News & Arts Coverage
    I was browsing through a used book store one day and happened upon that book. I bought it and it was awesome reading!
    TW

Sep 2006
    Tesoro Sand Shark "See God In All Things"
    7 times
    Emery,
    You should interview bronzecannons about his diving. He is the author of a book that is my all-time favorite on the shelf, and I even send copies of it as gifts.
    Whydahdiver also has years of experience and enough stories to fill your entire book!

L
    J
    Last edited by elle; Apr 18, 2012 at 07:14 PM.

us
    It's dangerous to be right when those with a thimbleful of perceived authority are wrong.

Mar 2012
    Michigan
    White's MXT, DFX, GMT and Fisher F5
    121 times
    Metal Detecting
    My first bit of advice would be to take about 90% of what people will tell you on the internet with a grain of salt and skepticism.
    Beware anyone that calls themselves "expert" on anything.

Sounds like it will be a great story, hope it goes smoothly. The first book is the hardest, but it gets easier after that.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors