Shipwrecks and sharks?

ou8acracker2

Apr 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Related to diving shipwrecks I guess.
Ive been in the ocean all of my life. Sharks are an integral part of it. There home

Im curious though
Has anyone had any problems with sharks while diivng on any of the 1715 wrecks? If so, what kinds?
Do they get curious with the blowers and the dredges or stay their distance?

(buddies caught a 12 foot tiger and 8 foot hammerhead off the beach in the last few days, sparked my curiosity. Ive never personally been hassled..knock on wood)

Chagy

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
They migrate every year Sharks in South Florida spotlighted by NBC's TODAY Show how ever I believe the blowers scare them because you know they are out there but they never come near the boat... sharks_florida.jpg

Booty Salvage

May 31, 2011
Ft Pierce Florida
Detector(s) used
3 Aqua pulse, 1 Excalibur
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
No. We dont see very many sharks on the 1715 fleet.

If we do they are usually nurse sharks. I have never seen a bull shark diving for treasure, but i am sure it is coming.

I have seen a lot of sharks lobster diving and spear fishing but not treasure diving. I think the boat motor noise scares them off

OP
OP
O

ou8acracker2

Apr 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chagy..Ive lived in Boca the last 5 years. The shark run is just absurd. Literatly out on a boat drifting and you just see hundreds of sharks under you. Its amazing. Sketchy, but amazing.

Booty: Thats what I figured. They like thrashing swimmers, but figured noises would scare them off. Bet someone has a really good story though haha

Booty Salvage

May 31, 2011
Ft Pierce Florida
Detector(s) used
3 Aqua pulse, 1 Excalibur
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Cabin wreck, Douglas Beach, and the power plant are the places we have seen the most sharks. I always wondered the same thing when I started diving as a kid. I thought there would be sharks everywhere, but I quickly found out that is not the case.

OP
OP
O

ou8acracker2

Apr 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Booty..go dive Canaveral Shoals or Symrna haha
The power plant, that place just looks sketchy to dive. Ive fished there commercially before and no thanks, like a mini Boca Grande

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Booty..go dive Canaveral Shoals or Symrna haha
The power plant, that place just looks sketchy to dive. Ive fished there commercially before and no thanks, like a mini Boca Grande

I saw two inside the surf line yesterday while metal detecting. Very common sight at New Smyrna & Canaveral.

OP
OP
O

ou8acracker2

Apr 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Used to surf Symrna all the time..Ive seen more 10 foot+ plus sharks cruising in the lineup than I could handle. Waters always like coffee and just sketchy haha I dont surf there anymore.
Prefer the clear water of south florida, least ya know whats about to hit ya haha

Chagy

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Bulls are usually close to the inlets....But hey why talk about this? Once you are in the water concentrated on finding treasure you don't even think about this, at least I don't....My buddy Salvor6 says when he sees a shark, he starts waiving his arms at them and makes allot of bubbles and this scares them away....Never seen him do it.....LOL.....But if it ever happen to me I will try it...LOL....Anyways in all my dives on the east coast I have never encounter one and hope I never do...

sphillips

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2008
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No. We dont see very many sharks on the 1715 fleet.

If we do they are usually nurse sharks. I have never seen a bull shark diving for treasure, but i am sure it is coming.

I have seen a lot of sharks lobster diving and spear fishing but not treasure diving. I think the boat motor noise scares them off

If I saw a bull shark diving for treasure, I would let him have it!

OP
OP
O

ou8acracker2

Apr 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dont know. Just getting stories from folks on the boards. I figured there was at least one good one, but so far nothing. If it counts, I almost got owned by a tiger in cape hatteras surfing...decided at the LAST second to turn away. Crystal clear water too

Chagy

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
If my memory serves me well I believe that Bob Marx wrote in one of his books that sharks were not interested in treasure divers but in fish. After writing the book he got bit by a shark (I think in the Bahamas) Then when he was asked about his statement on sharks in his book he said; I guess that shark didn't read my book.....

OP
OP
O

ou8acracker2

Apr 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hahaha that made me chuckle..Im going to knock on a heck of a lot of wood

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
AquaPulse AQ1B - AquaPulse DX-200 Magnetometer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I've never seen a shark while diving on a wrecksite or during excavations....but....

I was snorkeling around looking for shipwreck evidence off of Caye Caulker in Belize, we were there for Lobster Fest and I thought I would get some water time in. A fishing boat came in to clean their fish, and the sharks came out of everywhere. I saw one, a nurse, no big deal, then another, a reef shark, oh well....then I realized everywhere I looked there were sharks heading towards the boat. Soon there was a ball of mostly nurse sharks under this boat, so I swam over for a closer look. Definitely a unique experience, I was just starting out as a diver and had never seen any sharks, much less 20 or 30 in a feeding frenzy. I started video taping and getting closer after the more toothy sharks left. I ended up drifting right into them, they were all hanging vertical in the water waiting for scraps. I was close enough that a few of them hit me with their tails while I was recording. Just nurse sharks, but definitely an interesting first shark experience. I have pics and video of that somewhere...I will look for it.

Dirkdigger

Greenie
Mar 22, 2012
Morris cove CT
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 350, modded Cen-tech pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sharks bite moving boats , they are always top of the food chain. I've spent 11 years diving the Florida Keys to Fort Lauderdal as well as surfing sabastian inlet. If it's murky water your at risk. If your moving sand your at risk and any type of vibration can stimulate sharks natural response to seek injured prey. I was once was pulling a wooden side off an abandon lobster trap off of key largo to get lobster. I noticed the trap was moving away from me thinking WTF is going on? Twenty feet out as the silt cleared I saw a bullshark going after my same lobster pulling at the opposite side of trap, I had a tug of war going and didn't realize it while my tow boat circled above with hundreds of other lobster seeking boats dragging divers over good locations. I've almost been attacked by several species up and down the coast near various wrecks with high traffic regions and dive spots. You may not see the big guys on top of the wreck locations, just swim 50 yards in various locations and look just outside of your wrecks. Sharks like to leave and return at a later time when you least expect it. Trust me...respect the animals your on their time and grace, no treasures worth an early demise being stupid. If t looks sketchy it probably is..

Last edited:
OP
OP
O

ou8acracker2

Apr 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its like the water when it begins to look like coffee on those cool calm morning where the water is oil slick glass and you have that mid morning fog just above the water and you get to hear those nice faint sounds of fish getting popped..you just know there is something lurking hahaha

OP
OP
O

ou8acracker2

Apr 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a super cool video! Never seen nurse sharks feed like that either, thats simply awesome. I was waiting for the big ol bullshark or lemon to just come cruising on in the middle of that though haha
those guys must go to that spot all the time if the nurse sharks just ball up and feed like that

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread