Galleon San Juan Batista

billfishbelize

Jun 21, 2010
central america
Detector(s) used
fisher cz-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Has anyone heard of this ship? I believe she was in the flotilla of 1622 along with the Atocha. She made it back to Havana and refitted? Sank somewhere in the Carribean on a later date? I have found that a Mr. Benjamine Peck in the 1800s left his important job with the U.S. treasury ,bought a schooner and sailed to Turneffe islands off the coast of then British Hounduras to look for a wreck from the 1700s that he had obtained a map with the location of this galleon. It was loaded with$800,000.00 in gold at the market value then. They apparently found it by his writings, but could not manage the salvage and sailed back to New York to get a coffer damn to do the salvage. They wrecked there schooner on the way back near Cuba and Peck was the only one to survive. however he died a short time later and never got to go back. There was never any mention of the ships name. Marx wrote a brief note of this area about a galleon that went down with the same $$ amount, no name as well. I can feel her out there, Shes close.Anyone know about this? Any way Thanks, Capt. Bill

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread