Seeking Information on Bahama Wreck salvaged in early 1960s

Southern_Digger

May 21, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer and Excalibur; Tesoro Tejon; Fisher 1265-X; Garrett Master Hunter; White's Coinmaster; In closet: Bounty Hunter and Relco
Primary Interest:
Other
Seeking Information on Bahama Wreck salvaged in early 1960's

I have been following this forum for quite some time, having my own experiences and mis-experiences in seeking evidence of Spanish occupied Florida both on land and in the sea. Having 45 years experience, I have encountered some of you on the forum over the years. I have my own story of researching a wreck site for seven years, then being pulled off of it in 1978 and warned. Not by state or lease holders, but by a community district. I shared minimal information with a lifeguard who stopped me, then direccted me to the local historical society who denied me permission to salvage because it was under auscpicities of the Jupiter Inlet Commission District. Here is my question (Dell you might know the story). In 1963-64 Miami, a tow company was raising a modern bot in the Bahamas and found a wreck. They salvaged two bronze cannon, about 10 iron cannon and an anchor. For two years while spending my occasional Saturday's at the boatyard on Miam i River where dad worked, I use to climb over these cannon which were strewn about in the yard. I was 10 yeras old. This is how I got interested in Spanish shipwrecks and have been ever since. More about this later. Anyhow dad refused to pay $100 for an iron cannon to set in our frony yard. That was more than a weeks wages. The two bronze cannon, 10-12ft long with Dolphin handles were sold at 10k each to a big NY restaurant and they supposedly are there today. Does anybody recall these finds and know the wreck? It was written up in the Miami Herald but wreck was unidentified then...

signumops

Feb 28, 2007
U.S.
Detector(s) used
Garrett, Minelab, Aqua-Pulse
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know somebody that does. They do not post here. I'll forward the message.

Trembull

Jul 24, 2010
Oklahoma __ Y'All
Primary Interest:
Other
Would like to hear more Southern Digger, And welcome to this forum monkey tap.gif

signumops

Feb 28, 2007
U.S.
Detector(s) used
Garrett, Minelab, Aqua-Pulse
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You might try getting in touch with:

Stoneage Antiques - Gary Stone
in Miami if they are still there... they had the cannons I believe.

Dell Winders

Jan 18, 2012
Haines City, FL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is an amazing place. Yes, I remember the two beautiful Bronze cannon, and a lot of Iron cannon in the yard outside.

They are still in business, have a website, and are on facebook.

Here's a preview of some of the items they have. TourArchive Dell

OP
OP
Southern_Digger

Southern_Digger

May 21, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer and Excalibur; Tesoro Tejon; Fisher 1265-X; Garrett Master Hunter; White's Coinmaster; In closet: Bounty Hunter and Relco
Primary Interest:
Other
Dell,

The cannon were setting a few years in a fenced parking lot in a boat yard. I do not want to post the name of the yard, however, I can tell you the cannon on the Stoneage page are not the same. The cannon I refer to were 10-12 feet long with jumping Dolphins for handles. I know at least one, if not both were sold to a famous NY restaurant to place at the entrance. I am not certain because I was so young then, but I believe it was suggested they were from a French shipwreck (could be wrong on this...). I know nearly across the street was a hardware store (1963-64) that sold metal detectors-land and water. This is where I first learned about the hobby and bothered Dad for years for a metal detector. The hardware wanted $275 for a land detector- probably a Fisher or Metrotech; We went to Sunshine Army Navy in Miami and dad looked at an army mine detector ($75.00). Still, too steep. I finally got my first detector, a Relco, in 1967 or 68. I used it in Miami parks and on Haulover Beach. I'm hoping someone in New England know and have seen these cannon in NYC.

Dell Winders

Jan 18, 2012
Haines City, FL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your description matches the two cannon I saw at Stoneage antiques. I don't remember the time period, but possibly it could have been when Dennis Standefer(?) was salvaging in the Bahamas, and bringing cannon back to Florida. I wish I could be of more help. Dell

Chagy

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I think you are talking about Weston Hempstead and his brother Art. In 1942 he started Hempstead Marine in the Miami River. These are the same guys who dredge the Jupiter inlet back in the 30s....At some point Weston was known as the cannon king...

sphillips

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2008
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your description matches the two cannon I saw at Stoneage antiques. I don't remember the time period, but possibly it could have been when Dennis Standefer(?) was salvaging in the Bahamas, and bringing cannon back to Florida. I wish I could be of more help. Dell

Thought I had heard the name Dennis Standifer before:

Cannons Stolen

Were these cannon from the Bahamas?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions