Shipwrecks

Trembull

Jul 24, 2010
Oklahoma __ Y'All
Primary Interest:
Other
E

elle

Thank you, Sapper23. I’ll come for lunch. Are peanut butter sandwiches considered MRE’s? They are my favorite and quick to make. Thanks everyone for putting your brains to work and solving Sapper23’s case. You are all brilliant!

Oceanscience, I tend to think your artifact came from the South Seas wreck. Looking at the whole design and especially the five-petaled flower in the center, the art seems very Oriental. I believe the flower is of the orchid tree named Bauhinia variegata which originated in southern Asia. Europeans discovered the plant in the 1700s.

The flower was grown for its beautiful scent, so your container is likely to be a scent flask pendant—commonly used through the centuries and widely owned by the Spanish as a jewelry piece. Floral motifs were common on the surface of these objects to reflect the flower that was used for the scent. The pendant, most of the time, was suspended by three chains—two hooked laterally and one secured the top of it. This is just a guess again, but hope it helps.

Laura J

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
if they were owned by the slaves upon the vessel the slavers would most likely have stripped them from the slaves (hey silver was valuible) but maybe not as many seaman are highly superstitious * and would not want "bad luck' to befall them -- or as I said it might have belonged to the slave "translator" -- who most likely would have been of african decent -- he would have been a "part of the crew" and thus might have his "religious charm item' upon him when the ship sank.

E

elle

Ivan, I agree with your theory. They stripped the slaves of everything, even the clothes on their backs.
Just watch the movie, Amazing Grace. You are probably correct that small objects were stored by an official in charge.
When returning home, the silver was likely sold and melted down. How terrible it must have been for those people to have their personal belongings taken, never to be seen again.

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I think having their personal possessions taken away was the least of their worries!

Sapper23

Aug 22, 2007
FL
Detector(s) used
Explor II, seamk
any one up this way, just PM me.. on the house, thanks again.. everyone. Maybe SunTrop. Storm Beryl.. will bring up more interesting thing's!!

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
its supposed to hit sunday evening / monday morn -- land fall near frenandina area -- should clear off some sand -- I predict some good hunting all along the weather side (outside) amelia island beaches as well as along the nassau sound area (eyeballing only) and Hou can not park * - find a butt load *

ps there is another "slaver" vessel in the pond area at hou can not park * but its known of and they do not want it disturbed * but eyeballing the shoreline area near it after the storm passes thru might produce some things to donate to the parks collection from the slave vessel --its thought it was providing slaves for the nearby kingsley plantation when a storm hit and sank it while it was at anchor

Last edited:

Oceanscience

May 23, 2010
Thank you, Sapper23. I’ll come for lunch. Are peanut butter sandwiches considered MRE’s? They are my favorite and quick to make. Thanks everyone for putting your brains to work and solving Sapper23’s case. You are all brilliant!

Oceanscience, I tend to think your artifact came from the South Seas wreck. Looking at the whole design and especially the five-petaled flower in the center, the art seems very Oriental. I believe the flower is of the orchid tree named Bauhinia variegata which originated in southern Asia. Europeans discovered the plant in the 1700s.

The flower was grown for its beautiful scent, so your container is likely to be a scent flask pendant—commonly used through the centuries and widely owned by the Spanish as a jewelry piece. Floral motifs were common on the surface of these objects to reflect the flower that was used for the scent. The pendant, most of the time, was suspended by three chains—two hooked laterally and one secured the top of it. This is just a guess again, but hope it helps.

Laura J

Thank you Laura, for the interesting information. Brass container2.jpg This is the second brass container from the same wreck site. It is difficult to decide which of the 2 shipwrecks is of greater historical importance. The "South Sea Pirate" story is very well documented, but consisted of a single event, from the time when the buccaneers sized the ship from the Spanish owners, to the moment it sank, burned to the waterline. Both ships sank at the same time, close together. In fact they were so close that a burning timber landed on the "South Sea" pirate, when the "African Pirate" blew up.
Slave shackle.jpg
The Slave shackles and wine bottle are from the "African Pirate". This one specialized in attacking slave ships, preferably "Interlopers". The records show that he had carried away some of the slaves and wine. Most slave ships coming from the "Gold Coast" also carried gold that they had obtained by trade. This was the favored booty of our "African Pirate". This is also a very interesting shipwreck due to the fact that there are good records of his attacks and even the booty, with many statements of the amount of gold he got from each victim.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
any one up this way, just PM me.. on the house, thanks again.. everyone. Maybe SunTrop. Storm Beryl.. will bring up more interesting thing's!!

Great meeting you, Sapper. Looks like Beryl is shaping up nicely and should peel off some sand up north of us. You'll recognize my avatar. Those rocks are under many feet of sand thanks to the Army Corp.

Ivan - Sapper and I were talking about Twelve Mile Swamp. He said you started researching the goings on some time in the past.

Sapper23

Aug 22, 2007
FL
Detector(s) used
Explor II, seamk
DD,

Same here, anytime.. next time mre " John Wayne Bar " on me.. Keep Hunting!! Later

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
I research a lot of "interesting" things --the twelve mile swamp treasure be forwarned any CSA gold / treasuire trove --the US Govt veiws as "legally" theirs due to the surrender of the CSA to the USA -- upon the souths surrender--- all CSA "property" and govt funds became US Govt "property" and once US Govt property -- always US Govt property - so there is no "legal" way to find and legally "claim" -- if you reveal that you found CSA gold to the US govt --they will simply take it as "US Govt property" no finders fee or money will be paid as a "reward" --just---its ours. ---and if you find it and do the "blackmarket" selling it off thing -you get the double whammy -- theft of us govt funds / assets as well as tax evading charges --so if you get busted --you will go to jail for a long , long tiime.

ps also the treasure most likely is on land that belongs to a "indain tribe" which by treaty is a "soverign" nation * who might also lay claim to it as it is upon their land

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread